Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 193

Author Topic: Godhood III OOC Thread  (Read 108395 times)

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood III OOC Thread
« Reply #2085 on: November 28, 2010, 10:46:11 pm »

Are you people quite done with the turn yet?

Also, you may want to put that wiki update off for a bit. I'm going to make A LOT of stuff on the first turn.

Please, I have to wonder about of half of the stuff in existance right now which is not in the wiki, like Draxion, which seems to basically have disappeared from existance. At least basic entries are needed.

Edit: Wow, didn't know we had something else orbitting the planet. Anyway, off to bed with me, in waiting for tomarrow's work...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:54:56 pm by Humaan »
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: November 29, 2010, 01:03:58 am »

Wait, what else is orbiting the planet? I ahven't made my meteor of Demons ye- whoops.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: November 29, 2010, 04:39:54 am »

Ah, this is what happens when I vanish for a day.  Will work on getting at least one post up in the next few hours.

Also, as the next post should explain, Jack/Shaq isn't involved in this war because of the Chosen.  I mean, he does prefer individual murder to wanton bloodshed, but that wouldn't involve the direct intervention he's about to get heavily into.  He would rather act with a light hand and push things into place to let mortals take care of their own affairs (he's very big on the whole 'free will' diea).

Jack involved himself in the battle more or less purely to spite Carmanthyre.  He has a bitter rivalry with his youngest brother and outright opposes him on idealogical grounds (I'll have to turn that sphere of Heroism to Villainy in a later turn. =D).  I established at least two ground rules for Jack right off the bat, I think;

Jack can only wear the faces of murderers or the murdered.
Jack knows everything that a murderer and the murdered knew at the time of the murder.

Caveat to the above: Unless directly experienced by his avatar, Jack only knows these memories.  His perception of mortal life is necessarily skewed by this, having literally been born out of the pain and lust of bloodshed.

Jack knew about the battle because Chosen started killing people.  Jack got interested because he saw Carmanthyre's blade there, and joined in more or less to try and corrupt Eowen's love interest and possibly interfere with Carm's host.  He kept his intervention to a very minor degree (using an enchantment, the Covenant, that had been established some turns previously).

What changed was the intervention of the Wanderer.  As I've stated and confirmed with nuker w (the Wanderer's player), the sand folk aren't sapient.  That is, though they have mortal cognition they lack any free will of their own (being subservient entirely to the Wanderer's will) and thus cannot qualify for murder as defined by Jack*.  Jack under no circumstances wants the sand men running around killing people because it directly undermines his own sphere of power.  So yeah, Jack has very good reasons to be intervening in this war.

*The death of a sapient being caused by another sapient being, whilst free-willed (not actively mind-controlled, being pressured into it still counts) and where malice or intent exists.  Killing a man through rank incompetence (e.g. you accidentally knock over a wall and unwittingly kill a man) doesn't count.  Killing a man when you just meant to punch him and broke his neck does.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Demantiae

• Bay Watcher
  • Goddess of Earth, Awakener of the Primordial
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: November 29, 2010, 07:11:32 am »

Orbiting the planet is the silver moon and that fortress made by one of the death gods.

(he's very big on the whole 'free will' diea).

This is quite amusing as he's bemoaned to Nativa his own lack of free will! Maybe Jack should strive to remove his shackles to his lust for murder, obtain his own free will seperate from the divinely mandated need to kill? That would be a suitable heroic act (liberation from own spiritual shackles). It might have unforseen consequences though such as Jack being relegated to demi-god status (as they don't appear bound by the same Nativa mandated restrictions). Alternatively you can focus on infamy, one mans hero is another mans villain (El Cid, Francis Drake, George Washington etc etc). Whilst a hero to some they are always a hated enemy of others. I do think you should duel the sword god to death, both kill each other a the same time and have your souls merge into one god with a dual personality though!

Unrelated I re-organized my wiki page. I can't find a way to delete the pages I created (Desires, Creations, Spheres and Followers). I left them empty and without links. If the wiki admin can delete them feel free to do so. Or just leave them until somebody stumbles upon them and chooses to use them. If possible can the gods of magic (ritual, enchanement and elemental) create a section of the wiki for magic? It'd be nice to read up how their magic operates. And maybe the Void god can post something about his zone of corruption too (put this in the magic section too?)? When Neshara is born she'll be adding her own magical flavour to the world.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:15:47 am by Demantiae »

Demantiae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: November 29, 2010, 07:32:31 am »

I took some liberties in editing the new humans page. I've added my personal take on why humans exist given the origin of their creation. I think it makes for an interesting spin on the idea of us boring humans. Annoyingly you can't use am asterix before your text so I've opted for the ugly + sign instead. If anyone knows how to insert an asterix without it forming a bulet point feel free to swap it out.

Incidently assume that view of humans to be written by some sort of scholar with far more knowledge than the ordinary mortal.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: November 29, 2010, 08:48:51 am »

Jack cannot renounce his own godhood.  Even if it isn't an actual requirement of his deific status, Jack flat out does not believe this is possible because, being defined by his purpose, he does not believe his purpose will allow him to be anything different.  As such, there is a degree of ambiguity as to whether Jack truly has no free will or has no free will because he believes himself to have no free will and thus cannot allow himself to deviate from his purpose.

This does call some thoughts into question regarding free will.  As Jack believes (but I haven't had the opportunity to mention in character), free will exists to be surrendered.  Once you commit yourself to a cause, you have no free will because that cause will drive you to its completion.  Until you find that cause, or once you renounce it, you have free will but your life is also directionless and unfulfilling.  Or, it is truly free.

I have to say, if I wanted to sell the Wanderer's sphere as a positive aspect (Void/Abyss), I'd take the Buddhist route.  Void is nirvana.  To be nothing is to escape the pull, the drive of mundane life and the attraction of the needs of the flesh.  There is feeling in the world of life, great joy and great sorrow and all of it impermanent.  There is nothing that characterises the mortal world, that characterises existence itself so much as impermanence.  Transcend these base desires and embrace that which is permanent, the only true permanence; non-existence itself.  Embrace the Void, and escape the suffering of life.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: November 29, 2010, 09:10:13 am »

I took some liberties in editing the new humans page. I've added my personal take on why humans exist given the origin of their creation. I think it makes for an interesting spin on the idea of us boring humans. Annoyingly you can't use am asterix before your text so I've opted for the ugly + sign instead. If anyone knows how to insert an asterix without it forming a bulet point feel free to swap it out.

Incidently assume that view of humans to be written by some sort of scholar with far more knowledge than the ordinary mortal.

Figuring that out now before I continue.

And you REALLY contibuted to the wiki, now that I look at recent changes...

EDIT: Man, history is really outdated.... now I know to work on that.

And curse my access point for not allowing me to look up the wiki software...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:15:00 am by Humaan »
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: November 29, 2010, 09:43:18 am »

Lots of things to do, so little mind..
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Atilliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: November 29, 2010, 10:19:50 am »

wow, we also need to update the 'Historical Figures' part of the wiki, sadly, I can't do it myself, cause I'm feeling ill.

Edit: was silver not an important character?

Demantiae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: November 29, 2010, 10:21:59 am »

I'll probably add a section for the history of Neshara including what she does and maybe the world from her point of view. It would help Caesar out (and whoever else updates the wiki) to find all the relevant information on that god in one place.

I have to say, if I wanted to sell the Wanderer's sphere as a positive aspect (Void/Abyss), I'd take the Buddhist route.  Void is nirvana.  To be nothing is to escape the pull, the drive of mundane life and the attraction of the needs of the flesh.  There is feeling in the world of life, great joy and great sorrow and all of it impermanent.  There is nothing that characterises the mortal world, that characterises existence itself so much as impermanence.  Transcend these base desires and embrace that which is permanent, the only true permanence; non-existence itself.  Embrace the Void, and escape the suffering of life.

This is an interesting take. The Wanderer could encourage mortals to strivefor the "No Mind" state where thought and feeling are rejected in favour of being "One with the Endless Nothing". The Wander could choose to promote this philosophy as a means for mortals to understand what is in essence a mis-understood alien god or it could be a trick to lure mortals into rejecting their minds and becoming "lost" so he can claim them for the Abyss.  The Wanderer if pursueing this path could attempt to gain dominion over the sphere of Forgetfulness and can offer tortured souls and mortals escape from their torments by accepting his relief.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: November 29, 2010, 10:37:01 am »

Or he could argue that all the bad thins in life are caused by emotions.

Army of stoic philosophers?  :P

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: November 29, 2010, 11:04:07 am »

Really. You guys'n'gals ought to stop discussing how doing certain things will make them get certain spheres. The game's not about hunting spheres, and you're only making me stubbornly hand out other spheres potentially to other people instead.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: November 29, 2010, 11:23:02 am »

Lord, this topic jumped quite a bit. I've got some catching up to do.

Demantiae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: November 29, 2010, 11:40:07 am »

Really. You guys'n'gals ought to stop discussing how doing certain things will make them get certain spheres. The game's not about hunting spheres, and you're only making me stubbornly hand out other spheres potentially to other people instead.

I'm discussing spheres because in my mind a gods spheres and personality are interlinked. In the case of Neshara there's no seperation between earth and blood in her mind. If the game permitted begining with two spheres it would certainly be these two but it doesn't so I have to strive for adding the second, Neshara isn't complete without it. As for other sphere's I have some idea's of things she might get from the actions I intend for her but whether she does or not is down to the whims of Nativa. If these possible spheres were gained it would innately change the way she operated. If she gained other unforseen shperes these too would alter her. To me the spheres aren't so much about trying to graps as much pwoer from the world as possible and more about evoloving a god progressively. For example a god of Sun, Earth and Solitude would suggest an entirely different god to a god of Sun, Clouds and Incense. The former might focus on monastic orders hidden in deserts whilst the later might focus on burning bonfires of sweet smelling herbs to bless the days events.

So to me spheres help differentiate a god from a vanilla run of the mill type. And as personalities are what make for good drama it stands to reason that spheres in this game are the driving force of the narrative. At least thats how I see it.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: November 29, 2010, 11:43:56 am »

I'm discussing spheres because in my mind a gods spheres and personality are interlinked. In the case of Neshara there's no seperation between earth and blood in her mind. If the game permitted begining with two spheres it would certainly be these two but it doesn't so I have to strive for adding the second, Neshara isn't complete without it. As for other sphere's I have some idea's of things she might get from the actions I intend for her but whether she does or not is down to the whims of Nativa. If these possible spheres were gained it would innately change the way she operated. If she gained other unforseen shperes these too would alter her. To me the spheres aren't so much about trying to graps as much pwoer from the world as possible and more about evoloving a god progressively. For example a god of Sun, Earth and Solitude would suggest an entirely different god to a god of Sun, Clouds and Incense. The former might focus on monastic orders hidden in deserts whilst the later might focus on burning bonfires of sweet smelling herbs to bless the days events.

So to me spheres help differentiate a god from a vanilla run of the mill type. And as personalities are what make for good drama it stands to reason that spheres in this game are the driving force of the narrative. At least thats how I see it.
Well Spoken, and I stand ashamed.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 193