Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 193

Author Topic: Godhood III OOC Thread  (Read 109148 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood III OOC Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2010, 04:11:56 pm »

Well, yeah, but I meant for practical purposes- specifically, how many people can Caesar handle in one game without it becoming a micromanaging nightmare.  :P
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2010, 04:18:49 pm »

you forget, this is Caesar. if anyone can pull off a game where each player is one of the olympian gods (or titans, or primordials, whatever) it's him.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2010, 04:37:23 pm »

you forget, this is Caesar. if anyone can pull off a game where each player is one of the olympian gods (or titans, or primordials, whatever) it's him.

Wow. Thanks. That's really nice to hear:

I'm still not sure how to manage the timeline. I've decided on the starting world, though.

What about having time skip whenever the Gods are powerless AND nothing's going on?
(So if they've chosen to use/not use their acts, time 'forwards'. The amount of time that runs depends on the worldly situation? (In case of war, you might have to make decisions/hold conversations maybe even twice an ingame day, while in times of peace it'd be much less?)

Or will we keep time more or less on the background?

And actually I hate micromanaging, but I'll do anything to achieve some sort of perfection (people that see my desk thinks it's sloppy, but I tell them it's MY kind of perfect).
That, and it's not micromanaging if it's fun, which is why I tend to avoid numbers. Never do I state that it's five-thousand men against thirty-thousand men. Instead it's that there's thousands, and one sides outnumbered. Keeping track of numbers, now THAT is needless micromanaging!
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2010, 04:54:52 pm »

Kind of like the turn system we already had then? But yeah, we should probably get a grip on how much time passes; major acts will probably take some time to manifest, and once mortal heroes come into play- particularly short-lived ones like humans- we need to slow things down some so that they don't drop off from old age after we abstract away a hundred years or so.

Once everyone decides to use/not use actions (or we hit a cutoff limit to keep the game moving), we could agree on how far forward we should skip so that all of the more minor things are done, and really big projects are X% complete.

And being able to make an actual timeline would be kinda cool.

Also, I think we should remove the "maximum acts = death" rule and simply make it so that gods that don't do stuff lose worship, and eventually fade into obscurity- A god of a player that goes inactive could eventually hit a minimum limit of followers (secret fringe cultist types), and will have to work hard to re-establish their power base when they come back.

ED: Obviously, in your war example, we'd be going by just a couple in-game days at a time, but for such short time periods, we could probably ignore most act-level things and proceed whenever all/most of the people involved in that micro-level stuff is ready.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:11:16 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2010, 05:26:54 pm »

I think there should be a cap of how many acts you can 'store' but don't think that being idle or inactive should result in negative consequences. Followers are tenacious, and gods shouldn't need to 'prove themselves' every week just to reassure the peasants that they exist.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2010, 05:30:42 pm »

Hehe, I can't wait for this to begin.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2010, 05:41:31 pm »

What about having time skip whenever the Gods are powerless AND nothing's going on?
(So if they've chosen to use/not use their acts, time 'forwards'. The amount of time that runs depends on the worldly situation? (In case of war, you might have to make decisions/hold conversations maybe even twice an ingame day, while in times of peace it'd be much less?)

Or will we keep time more or less on the background?

I say we just should follow the good ol` rule: Time elapses as fast as needed. Simple as that.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2010, 06:00:07 pm »

Yeah, but what if two different gods do this?

A) Carve a new mountain range (if thats even going to be possible) [or another REALLY TIME CONSUMING event]

B) Talk to the locals and spread my amazingness [or something else that is done within a few hours]

How would the time elapse for two time-conflicting events? would we go with A, and leave a space in what B would have done? could have done?

Or do we go with B, and make A become un-able to do anything untill time catches up?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2010, 06:06:07 pm »

Maybe each act is just to set the ball rolling or do a social activity, and so God A can act next turn, but his mountains don't come into effect until 2 turns later.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2010, 06:06:23 pm »

Essentially it will be up to Caesar to resolve stuff like that.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2010, 08:00:30 am »

Hehe, I can't wait for this to begin.

Oh maan, oh maan.

I have so many ideas for creations gah
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2010, 10:35:22 am »

Yeah, but what if two different gods do this?

A) Carve a new mountain range (if thats even going to be possible) [or another REALLY TIME CONSUMING event]

B) Talk to the locals and spread my amazingness [or something else that is done within a few hours]

How would the time elapse for two time-conflicting events? would we go with A, and leave a space in what B would have done? could have done?

Or do we go with B, and make A become un-able to do anything untill time catches up?

Talking to the locals wouldn't really be an act.

Iituem, could you put up a link to the wiki in the first post in the thread again? I can't manage to find it.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2010, 10:43:37 am »

The wiki's in forsaken's signature.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2010, 10:44:13 am »

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2010, 10:45:24 am »

That's it. I've embarrassed myself for the last time.

*Harakiri*
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 193