Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 193

Author Topic: Godhood III OOC Thread  (Read 108735 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood III OOC Thread
« Reply #1215 on: October 07, 2010, 06:47:57 pm »

Caesar, would you mind picking that post/specification apart for inaccuracies?  I've tried to use a (somewhat ideal) orb spider for the base, but since you're the arachnologist here...
How'd you manage to assume the form of Silver? He wasn't murdered, unless you count age as murder...

Jack takes the forms of both murdered and murderer; Silver was the original murderer, having slain Ictor during the events of Phera's descent.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 07, 2010, 06:48:40 pm »

Ah. I thought it was just the murdered.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 07, 2010, 06:49:56 pm »

...Now that I think about it, anybody who opposes him is going to have to be really careful about fighting other gods.

ED: Depending on what we count as murder.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:51:28 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 07, 2010, 07:21:26 pm »

Hmm... are we getting close to the next turn? I want to finish my artifact, but I will need Akiel's help... and he has no acts.
What are you working on again?
Not telling yet. But I am gonna ask Akiel to forge my giant crystal of magic into a double sided spear. Then I'll add magic.

Hard to describe, but something like this... only more symmetrical:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 07, 2010, 07:26:49 pm »

Okay. that can be arranged.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 08, 2010, 12:06:56 am »

Sorry guys, I have been busy, I hope I could make my turn today
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: October 08, 2010, 02:16:11 am »

...Now that I think about it, anybody who opposes him is going to have to be really careful about fighting other gods.

Murder is defined (by Shaq, for the purposes of this) as the killing of one sapient being by another.  Beast killing a beast doesn't count.  Sapient killing a beast doesn't count (but does come under Hunting, a separate sphere).  Beast killing a sapient doesn't count, but is pretty horrifying.  Only a sapient killing another sapient counts as murder - and it counts no matter the reason for the kill.

Shaq's memory ability is both a terrible limitation and a potential advantage.  He can only know what murderers/murdered knew at the time of the murder, but he does know everything they knew.  This has been the reason that Shaq hasn't travelled south once since his creation - nobody, or very few, murdered anyone else thanks to the influence of their patron gods.

However, there are two/three ways we can refine Shaq's ability.  The first is simply to rule that demigods and gods are completely immune to this - whether they be killer or killed.  The second is that there is an order of precedence involved.  If a god kills a mortal, either only the mortal's memory transfers or there's just no effect.  If a god kills a demigod, quite possibly no effect there either.  If a demigod kills a mortal, only the mortal's memory transfers.  If a demigod kills a demigod, both memories transfer (though not powers, unless that power was sheer skill).  If a mortal kills a demigod, both transfer.  If a demigod kills a god, perhaps just the demi?  But gods killing each other, whilst on an equal level, are probably too extensive in terms of experience for Shaq to absorb at once anyway.

I'm not sure.  Perhaps Caesar can give a better ruling on this.  The simplest is mortals only, a more complex one would be mortals/demigods.  God memory absorption is probably ridiculously overpowered.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: October 08, 2010, 09:08:09 am »

Murder is defined (by Shaq, for the purposes of this) as the killing of one sapient being by another.  Beast killing a beast doesn't count.  Sapient killing a beast doesn't count (but does come under Hunting, a separate sphere).  Beast killing a sapient doesn't count, but is pretty horrifying.  Only a sapient killing another sapient counts as murder - and it counts no matter the reason for the kill.

Shaq's memory ability is both a terrible limitation and a potential advantage.  He can only know what murderers/murdered knew at the time of the murder, but he does know everything they knew.  This has been the reason that Shaq hasn't travelled south once since his creation - nobody, or very few, murdered anyone else thanks to the influence of their patron gods.

However, there are two/three ways we can refine Shaq's ability.  The first is simply to rule that demigods and gods are completely immune to this - whether they be killer or killed.  The second is that there is an order of precedence involved.  If a god kills a mortal, either only the mortal's memory transfers or there's just no effect.  If a god kills a demigod, quite possibly no effect there either.  If a demigod kills a mortal, only the mortal's memory transfers.  If a demigod kills a demigod, both memories transfer (though not powers, unless that power was sheer skill).  If a mortal kills a demigod, both transfer.  If a demigod kills a god, perhaps just the demi?  But gods killing each other, whilst on an equal level, are probably too extensive in terms of experience for Shaq to absorb at once anyway.

I'm not sure.  Perhaps Caesar can give a better ruling on this.  The simplest is mortals only, a more complex one would be mortals/demigods.  God memory absorption is probably ridiculously overpowered.

It's completely as how I pictured it, although I would make the rule on 'murder' a bit more loose. There are reasons of killing the person that would not be murder. Putting somebody out of their misery, for example, would not be.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 08, 2010, 09:16:26 am »

I would generally argue against that - one of the points of murder is that it doesn't matter if it was for a good or a bad reason, it's still murder.  That way, a hero slaying a villain is still as much murder as if he was slaying a baby.  But since assisted suicide is voluntary, I'm not sure.  Could do it so that so long as it's not specifically desired by the murdered it counts as murder.

Since Jack doesn't get suicides, perhaps deliberately wanting to be killed by that person (and that person going along with it, fully intending to kill them for their sake - so a hero trying to battle to his death doesn't count) will bypass the clause.  Bear in mind also that this is a neutral act - you can use it to put an elderly cancer patient out of terrible pain.  Or, in an act of misguidance, you can use it to slaughter a severely depressed mental patient because they can't think clearly on what they want.

Similarly, manslaughter will probably get out of it - intent is the key.  If you didn't mean to harm them in any way and it was a complete accident, it's manslaughter and I think you'll get out of the bond.  If you meant them harm (e.g. pushed them angrily on the side of the road - then they get run over by a car), it counts.  Think of how many murder cases start with "I didn't mean to kill him!".  Still murder.

Up to you, if you think intent's a sufficient loophole.  If no harm (for whatever reason) was intended, it won't count.

Corollary:  If you tortured someone to the point they beg you to kill them and then do it, it's still murder.  I mean, you deliberately got them there after all.  Driving someone to kill themselves is a grey area.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: October 08, 2010, 09:28:40 am »

According to the law, manslaughter is 'killing without planning', in a way.
Murder would be to actively have planned how to 'dispose' of the person.

You've also got 'death by guilt', which would be if you did not mean to kill the person, but you did do something wrong that caused it. (Like driving drunk).

That's in The Netherlands, at the very least.

But we'll count murder as 'killing another sapient being with intent to kill involuntarily'.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: October 08, 2010, 09:53:00 am »

Ah, really?  In England if there was intent to harm, it's murder.  On-the-spur killings are still murder here, premeditated is just worse.

But yeah, things like running someone over by accident are enough of a grey area that they probably escape Shaq's clutches.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 08, 2010, 10:01:00 am »

Ah, really?  In England if there was intent to harm, it's murder.  On-the-spur killings are still murder here, premeditated is just worse.

But yeah, things like running someone over by accident are enough of a grey area that they probably escape Shaq's clutches.

Premeditated.. That was the word I was looking for.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 08, 2010, 01:45:45 pm »

Akiel needs to get moving, I want elves driving cars and dwarves flying fighter jets.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: October 08, 2010, 01:55:03 pm »

we need vampires...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 08, 2010, 01:56:13 pm »

That would be next turn.  I'm not ready to make vampires yet.

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 193