Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Massive lag, abandoning only option?  (Read 2293 times)

Hartmann

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Massive lag, abandoning only option?
« on: August 23, 2010, 06:24:49 pm »

Basically, all of a sudden the pools of blood and vomit infront of my fort decided to spread exponentionally within a few days. I think that's the reason my FPS was knocked down to about 10 from 50 in the same few days the gore spread, making the game completely unplayable. Is there any way I can get rid of the mountains of gore? I've started to butcher all the kittens and puppies that are covered in 10+ pages of nasty stuff but that's not really helping.

I heard rain cleans the outsides, but it only rains once a year on my embark, and even then only a little bit. Can I like modify some files so that it rains regularly? I really wouldn't want to abandon this fort just because of lag  :'(

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Massive lag, abandoning only option?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:29:30 pm »

Download dfhack and run the dfcleanmap.exe program.  This will clean up all blood, vomit, goo, pus, and other contaminates from the ground.  It won't clean up mod, so you don't need to re-irrigate your farms.  I don't know that blood platter has much to do with FPS however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hartmann

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:33:11 pm »

Thanks, I'll try that out. Hope I can get it to work.

I read this on the dfwiki article about reasons for lag.

Due to bug (0000296), contaminants such as blood, snow, etc, count as items. Since contaminants can spread and you cannot easily get rid of them, try to avoid things that spread contaminants: wells, killing things in high traffic spots, and soap. If you have HFS that exudes slime, you might as well save your game and wait for an update.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 06:46:13 pm »

It is also my experience that animals spread horrible amounts of blood and such around.  The spread of pools of blood in my fortresses became much easier to control after I chained, caged, or butchered all stray animals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hartmann

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:57:44 pm »

Well DFhack seems to have done its job fine, though it didn't raise my FPS one bit. I am now just going to see if butchering all animals will have any effect. It also seems like a lot of dwarves are covered head to toe in the stuff, maybe that's responsible for it?

EDIT: Ugh I thought it was about 5 pages, but it seems like a lot of dwarves and animals are covered in well over 100 pages of blood pus and vomit, that would be a better reason for lag then the relatively small amounts they were spreading around the outsides. Should I just wait for the dwarves to clean themselves? Is there some way I can increase the pace off this? I'm getting a lot of "clean self cancelled, area inaccesible". Soap and water is available.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:19 pm »

Soap is broken at the moment.  It's useful to have some inside your hospital for cleaning wounds, but dwarves who try to clean themselves with it just get confused.  You're best off forbidding any soap not in your hospital, dwarves will still clean themselves at wells and you won't get the message spam.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:41:30 pm »

Make sure you have access to water, preferably from a well. Your dwarves will clean themselves up at the well.

Alternatively if it rains a lot you can march everyone outside and wait until it rains. The rain drops hitting the ground (or a dwarf or animal) will clean up that tile of everything.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 08:05:07 pm »

If you have access to water you can build a small artificial waterfall to help clean your dwarfs up.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 08:32:33 pm »

Is there any way I can get rid of the mountains of gore? I've started to butcher all the kittens and puppies that are covered in 10+ pages of nasty stuff but that's not really helping.

Urist McLeader "Theres gore everywhere the animals are covered in blood"
Urist McPeasant "Theres only one solution, KILL THEM ALL!!!!"
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:20:12 pm »

I spent two hours building an excellent shower unit for my dwarves, then found that due to a bug, it wouldn't work. Something about grates, I was told. I made them all wade into a lake, because nothing else worked. It was actually a real pain to clean all the dwarves. lots of dfclean while they were in the water.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:42 pm »

To save frames i slaughter every new animal to comes to my fort and remove ammo from my hunters(they make a mess and leave bolts everywhere).

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 12:04:43 am »

One of my first forts in 40d was the only one where I ever built a good waterfall. 2, actually. They were beautiful. I used floor grates to allow the water to drain into a cistern that 2 pumps pulled from, powered by a windmill each (windy map, I found out later, I'd need 2 windmills to do it now on most maps) and a y-shaped stonework faucet let the water spread out over a wide area.

I've tried replicating the steps but I can't manage to make a good one again. Either there's not enough water, or too much water, someone dies while building it, or someone dies while using it. In other words, the usual Fun. :) I'm not complaining.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Hartmann

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:42:11 am »

I only have some small murky pools unfortunately, no river or anything. Just letting the game run now and see if the butchering/cleaning helps my FPS eventually, thanks for the help anyway

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 10:52:03 am »

You don't need a river to make a waterfall, just 2 pumps and 1 or 2 windmills. In fact, if it's your first waterfall, I highly recommend NOT connecting it to an infinite water source. A murky pool will do fine.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 11:16:16 am »

I have been trying to make an automated dwarf-washer, have gone through several major design revisions lately.  Haven't yet really succeeded, but I have learned a few things.

Pools/smears/splatters of blood act like objects in DF2010.  Flowing water will push a contaminant object along, just like it will any other object.  Contaminates can be pushed through fortifications or wall grates by flowing water, but will not fall through floor grates, so if you have a shower room that drains into a floor grate the blood will tend to pool on the grate and not fall through.

Blood which is being pushed along by flowing water adjacent to a wall will sometimes randomly move sideways into the wall.  Blood splatters in/on a wall tile will not be removed by water or even magma, but also will not re-contaminate dwarves or other creatures, so blood which has been pushed into a wall is effectively destroyed.

Dwarves or other creatures who step in water of any depth will loose all contaminates they carry, creating a pool of blood or whatever.  Dwarves who step in a pool of blood will pick up that pool and then track blood for several tiles afterwards.  This appears to be how pools of blood spread.  It may be that this happens more often if the dwarf in question is already wearing a coating of water.

It is not hard to make a washing chamber that dumps water on your dwarves, then carries the resulting pools of blood sideways into walls or onto a floor grate off to the side out of the main traffic.  The problem I am having is that while the washing chamber is self-cleaning, dwarves sometimes track blood out of the entrance, creating a pool of blood around the entrance to the washing chamber that then re-contaminates every wet dwarf coming out of the shower.  Placing grates on the floor does not prevent this.

I have also discovered that a burning object will destroy blood not only in the tile it is, but also in all adjacent tiles.  I haven't yet worked out a way to use this to clean the washing station that doesn't also set dwarves on fire.
Pages: [1] 2 3