Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Massive lag, abandoning only option?  (Read 2287 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive lag, abandoning only option?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 11:20:21 am »

Once the smutz is off the dwarfs and on the ground, DfCleanMap should be able to remove it. I'd use a combination of a shower (or lots of wells) and DfCleanMap, until the contaminant bug is fixed.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 12:17:11 pm »

I don't know that blood platter has much to do with FPS however.
This will rape your CPU, like rest of DF. Zilion pages of mud, blood, pus, vomit and other disguisting things must hold somewhere in mem ory, must be checked constantly for moving, cleaning, re-appearing, spreading...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 01:48:34 pm »

If you experience a sudden fps drop out of nowhere, it is possibly due to a certain game feature.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If this could be true, send out scouts and wait a bit.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 06:26:42 pm »

He probably had a bunch of animal litters. I've got a mature fort where it was down to 15 FPS--- and then I had 3 litters pop, 1 of cats, dogs, and cows each, and my FPS immediately dropped to 8. You wouldn't think 8 animals would do that but it was enough. Even caged, the FPS doesn't recover, so its off to the butcher for them--- even though my fort is stuffed with meat and whatnot. I'm hoping that once they are dead, my FPS recovers somewhat. 8 FPS is just so freaking SLOW...
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 03:06:18 am »

a really easy way to clean dwarfs is using the soap bug in itself.

Create a 3/7 river the is in front of your soap pile. when the dwarves attempt to get to the soap they will go through the river thus cleaning themselves. best thing to do is a pumped river where one end feeds the other.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 05:08:49 am »

that's actually... elegant... :-D

Do they stop trying to clean themselves afterwards?

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 12:15:11 pm »

Do weapon traps or stairs stop blood tracking anywhere ? I only ask this because on my current fort, there is blood all over outside my front door. But they go past a few traps, up one flight of stairs, then down two flights, (magma proof), and no blood of any kind has made it's way inside yet. I must be lucky, but i'm wondering if there is any connection.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 12:52:16 pm »

Kregoth's idea is brilliant.

Dwarves will clean themselves at wells.  I've seen it.  Try building a dozen of them, and letting your contaminated dwarves idle for a while.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 05:26:35 pm »

My massive lag comes from the 56 goblins, 15 trolls, and other such creatures that are sieging my fortress.

I have 196 dwarves, and possibly triple that number in animals.

The invaders have no way into the fortress... and when one group leaves, another "A vile force of darkness yada yada arrives" happens again... so it's like I'll never be able to get rid of these sieges.

I have 20 dwarves, all marksdwarves, to try and combat the problem... however, since the gobbos won't go anywhere near my fort unless I open the front gate, they are all out of range (not only that, but around 10 of those gobbos are crossbow wielders).

What solutions can anyone come up with? I'm sitting at around 8 FPS... making any action take an eternity (like pulling the leaver to open/close the gate to the fort).

Also, I have been using steel bolts to kill these annoying gobbos.. they are wearing mostly iron and copper... would iron be good enough, thus saving my steel for more important things?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:28:22 pm by SpawnoChaos »
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 05:55:28 pm »

I can at least comment that steel is a light material so isn't really the best of stuff to make bolts out of. Without modding, silver or iron. With modding, gold or lead (platinum if you don't give a damn).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 06:39:28 pm »

I can at least comment that steel is a light material so isn't really the best of stuff to make bolts out of. Without modding, silver or iron. With modding, gold or lead (platinum if you don't give a damn).

The reason that I thought steel is because to penetrate their armor, don't you need something stronger than what they are wearing? If that's the case, then iron bolts won't go through their iron armor.

Unless bolts follow some other kind of logic that doesn't apply this factor.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 07:30:28 am »

it seems like a lot of dwarves and animals are covered in well over 100 pages of blood pus and vomit
THE EFF are you doing in your fort ?!?

No, wait. PLEASE don't answer.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 09:18:21 am »

One solution to the siege problem: Use magma on outside. ;)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 09:37:17 am »

The reason that I thought steel is because to penetrate their armor, don't you need something stronger than what they are wearing? If that's the case, then iron bolts won't go through their iron armor.

Unless bolts follow some other kind of logic that doesn't apply this factor.
I'd been hearing of arena stories where copper bolts were piercing steel armour and causing woe unless the target had a shield and was good with it. Another tale in the endless saga that is "balancing combat". Best to try out some tests in the arena and make your own judgement.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 02:37:25 pm »

One solution to the siege problem: Use magma on outside. ;)
I've actually not tried the magma pump chain just yet.. could be FUN.

Thankfully I redesigned the front of my fort entrance to be a giant 4 z-level deep pit with 2 z-levels of water at the bottom. A lone retractable drawbridge must be crossed to enter the inner walls where the trade depot is.

I managed to lure the gobbos and trolls to this bridge where they were shot to pieces by my marksdwarves. A few actually made it to the bridge, but alas... half "dodged" the bolts fired at them and fell into the pit, the others fell when I pulled the lever and sent them to a watery grave.

On a side not, can trolls drown? I've got one down there that seems rather happy in 2 (7 tiles deeps) z levels of water.
Pages: 1 [2] 3