Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 118522 times)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2010, 08:52:45 pm »

Actually in our case we still had the old version to pass the time. But now it's a matter of crying at nights and staring at the ceiling. Slowly dieing inside as the days get longer. As the world dies around you, as you slowly spiral into insanity....
Uhh, what was I talking about.
Hello Hunam

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2010, 08:53:16 pm »

Are convoluted victim profiles going to go in? For example, a serial killer who only targets former bosses?
I think he said we can form victim profiles ourselves.

There will be range of victim profiles in different categories. You could select fat men with dark hair, or tall, attractive blondes, and you'll be able to set how vigorously your character must adhere to them, so that various penalties and adverse effects will be placed on your character if you don't kill the victims that appeal to your character.

Former bosses, no. The purpose of days jobs will be solely to earn money. You won't form relationships with coworkers or bosses.

Every time I try to reply, there's four or five new posts. My hands are dying  :-[

Will there be some kind of benefit to picking severe penalties for failing to kill whoever, like better stats or something (Preferably something less artificial than stats, but it's just an example)? 

Also, can we not be crazy?  Can we just want to shoot some peeps?

Acanthus, just because we're used to it doesn't mean it's not painful.

Also, yeah, this thread's reaching happy thread levels of frenzied activities, approximately .4 /b/'s on the Ijustcantkeepupington Scale.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:55:07 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2010, 08:54:14 pm »

I know, but I guess we're used to it.

At least I am.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2010, 08:54:20 pm »

It could be months, years, I don't know.

Don't worry, bro, we're Dwarf Fortress players! We're used to this kind of stuff!
doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdo
That said, if you give us a buggy version now, you can ask for donations.
doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2010, 08:55:00 pm »

Are convoluted victim profiles going to go in? For example, a serial killer who only targets former bosses?
I think he said we can form victim profiles ourselves.

There will be range of victim profiles in different categories. You could select fat men with dark hair, or tall, attractive blondes, and you'll be able to set how vigorously your character must adhere to them, so that various penalties and adverse effects will be placed on your character if you don't kill the victims that appeal to your character.

Former bosses, no. The purpose of days jobs will be solely to earn money. You won't form relationships with coworkers or bosses.

Every time I try to reply, there's four or five new posts. My hands are dying  :-[
Also, can we not be crazy?  Can we just want to shoot some peeps?

What. I figured those statements would be mutually inclusive.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2010, 08:56:26 pm »

A query, or perhaps several queries as my mind meanders.

You make mention of several instances where time is accelerated. Work, jail, I would presume travel as well.

My query, at least the initial one when I started this post, is this.

Will we be able to interrupt, or have interrupted, these automated and accelerated times? For example, could you, as either yourself as the player or the randomized formula's that make up your character's mind, decide that being an idiot and bringing your computer in for tech support is worthy of cerebral rearrangement, and rearrange said idiot's cortex right there with the very instrument he wished fixed?

Another query. Death Proof. I would presume it isn't in the plans for the initial distribution, but is vehicular vengeance planned? It is a fairly common trope that killers would run their prey off the road.

Thricely, job benefits. I imagine jobs would provide benefits, such as customer addresses and rentals at a movie store to cheaper supplies working at a home depot type store. Will that be in there.

Finally, Giant Cave Spiders. I'm not sure how, but it feels appropriate to have a choice to be one. They are, after all, dwarven serial killers.

Ninja edit. Eleven wild responses have appeared in the time to type this transcript.

Double ninja edit. Four more from previous one, in time it took to read the new eleven. Also, I see I missed something about former bosses.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2010, 08:56:50 pm »

So you select it at chargen, or can it develop naturally over time? For example, if your starting profile only includes Fat Men, but you start to attack Attractive Blondes, will the negative impact be permanent, or will you grow to enjoy attacking Attractive Blondes?

During character generation and nope, the side effects of ignoring the victim prefence won't be permanent unless, of course, your PC decides to take control from you and kill himself over guilt or because you messed up his "master plan" by not killing the types of victims he wanted. Also, the severity of the effects will depend on your characters psychological traits. You'll also be able to select "Anyone" as a preferred victim if you want a character that is able to kill anyone they want without psychological impact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:04 pm »

This game may cross several lines. It'll be like the FATAL of roguelikes, except fun.

Have you read FATAL? Judging by that statement I am doubtful.

Anyhow the problem with being a Serial killer is what is the goal exactly? or rather what is limiting your success?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2010, 08:58:31 pm »

This game may cross several lines. It'll be like the FATAL of roguelikes, except fun.

Anyhow the problem with being a Serial killer is what is the goal exactly? or rather what is limiting your success?
The goal is of your creation. The only thing limiting your success is yourself... also cops.
Hello Hunam

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2010, 09:00:03 pm »

The goal is of your creation. The only thing limiting your success is yourself... also cops.
Clearly, the top person to be will be the greatest detective ever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2010, 09:00:44 pm »

I would love to be able to leave messages in blood.

"Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside of me has become."

To those who get the reference. Your mind has been blown.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:40 pm »

FATAL is a sick creation that reavels in women-hatred and rape. This is Serial Killer: The Rougelike. Obviously we'll most likely all be playing evil characters, although there could be exceptions, like a Serial Killer Killer. That would be far more grey.

EDIT: Oh, and nothing bad happens to rapists in FATAL. The police come after you here, because you're a serial killer.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:59 pm »

For example, could you, as either yourself as the player or the randomized formula's that make up your character's mind, decide that being an idiot and bringing your computer in for tech support is worthy of cerebral rearrangement, and rearrange said idiot's cortex right there with the very instrument he wished fixed?
It's quite amazing how rare reports of this sort of thing are in reality... How do IT people remain sane?! That said, you have given me an idea for how to play this game once it's out...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2010, 09:02:57 pm »

I'd like to play as a gang-dude-hunter.

That'd be fun.

Hey, another question. Can we interrogate people, like torture them to find out where their hideout is (if they're a gang dude person), stuff like that?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2010, 09:04:40 pm »

You mean vigilante
Hello Hunam
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 73