Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Watch out for the spring thaw, it's a killer!  (Read 1130 times)

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Watch out for the spring thaw, it's a killer!
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:09:00 pm »

(Thread title just about says it all...)

It's early, early spring in my first year here and the nights are still pretty chilly, plus, I *still* have yet to finish individual bedrooms for my dwarves.  And blast it all, I'm out of wood again.  Ah well, no matter.  I take a look outside and designate a dozen or so snow-covered trees for my woodchopper/carpenter to fell.

While I'm off supervising those lazy miners, a messenger runs up and gasps out the message that the poor sod has just drowned in the lake.  Apparently the ice went from solid to liquid in the space of one footstep, and the steel battle-axe he was carrying (for some reason, the Mountainhomes insist we carry these things instead of, oh, a small iron hatchet) dragged him to the bottom.

I rushed to the lake and peered down into the depths.  Yup, there he was all right, down at the bottom.  Can't even recover the body for proper burial, much less the axe.

Now this is wonderful.  How in Armok's name am I supposed to build beds, or stoke the fires for that matter, when I can't chop down any trees?

(I'm not sure if this is truly a bug, but I find it frustrating that the game goes from deep-freeze mode to happy fun summertime waterpark mode in what appears to be one frame.  Perhaps all ice could be flagged as dangerous terrain for a few seconds before the thaw event?)

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Watch out for the spring thaw, it's a killer!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:47:00 pm »

I'd call it a bug, or at the very least an oversight. I'd ask the dwarven caravan for an axe, in the meantime.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 09:52:00 pm »

aye, what ever happened to thin ice?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 10:49:00 pm »

quote:
Can't even recover the body for proper burial, much less the axe.

If you attach several pumps to the edge connected to a gigantic reservoir and using mechanical power, you can knock down the water to 1/2/3 level for long enough to leisurely grab the body and the axe. Your FPS will likely suffer for a long time afterwards, however. You get an immense satisfaction from completing the project, though.

I once had two legendary dwarfs and one non-legendary dwarf who fell into my megaproject canal while the pumps were going. They got trapped in a little pocket of air where the water was only 1/2 depth due to the constant motion of the pumps they fell next to. It was a pain in the butt, but I was eventually able to tunnel through and rescue them.  :)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »

I once lost two dwarves who were crossing ice when it thawed. This isn't a bug, though and it belongs in suggestions. Dwarves should be cautious of thin ice so this doesn't happen often. However, frozen lakes and such are dangerous.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

I started placing Restricted traffic designations over ponds and such. I don't know how well that works, as I can't find a site I'm happy with so don't play them long, but it's worth a try as a work around for now.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »

When spring came for me I had 3 dwarves die in the same body of water.  :(

Psitticine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

I've had the exact same thing happen to me.  It would be nice if ice automatically became something to get off of as soon as the temperature raised to a near-dangerous level.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 12:05:00 am »

Yah dangerous terrain flagging at a certain point would be good.  

I had something weird happen; the lakes froze and so I dug a ramp down and mined the ice to recover the body of a guy who was knocked in by a kobold last spring.  Also decided to dig some ramps next to other frozen lakes.  I wasn't watching, but I got a message that my miner was encased in ice.  Everything was already frozen, the only water was a 1 or 2 water square on a stairs square that I'd built in the frozen lake before.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 12:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightman:
<STRONG>I once lost two dwarves who were crossing ice when it thawed. This isn't a bug, though and it belongs in suggestions. Dwarves should be cautious of thin ice so this doesn't happen often. However, frozen lakes and such are dangerous.</STRONG>
Well, more properly, it's an incompletely implemented feature.  In previous versions there was a thin ice stage, and dwarves would get off when it occured.  But I'm guessing it had to be taken out when water was overhauled.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 02:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Well, more properly, it's an incompletely implemented feature.  In previous versions there was a thin ice stage, and dwarves would get off when it occured.  But I'm guessing it had to be taken out when water was overhauled.</STRONG>

Seems reasonable to me. So I maintain that this thread best belongs in suggestions.  ;) I wonder if zones are a solution?