Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A diplomat has left unhappy :(  (Read 5642 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A diplomat has left unhappy :(
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:11:17 pm »

You'd think the human emissary would be just a little more understanding if, in mid-conversation, the expedition leader suddenly sprouts a dozen crossbow shafts from his chest with accompanying "thunk thunk thunk" sounds.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: A diplomat has left unhappy :(
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:17:59 pm »

ouch, that must be one uncaring liason. have you tried setting a new dwarf to the expidition leader in the (n)obles menu.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:37:02 pm »

I lol'ed.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 01:52:40 pm »

You'd think the human emissary would be just a little more understanding if, in mid-conversation, the expedition leader suddenly sprouts a dozen crossbow shafts from his chest with accompanying "thunk thunk thunk" sounds.
He arrived to you across frozen wastes, came over unleashed HFS and plains flooded with magma, saw horribly mutilated elves and blood-crazed elephants, ran from goblins demanding his head and melting rains, and you want him to be stopped in his mission because of THAT?!  :o You selfish bastard  :'(

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:43:15 pm »

Well to be fair, the place is a teensy bit messy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:43:26 pm »

I can't imagine the human leader being too happy either.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 02:54:53 pm »

If the person supposed to be meeting the diplomat dies or is replaced for any reason the diplomat will automatically leave unhappy. Even if it is completely out of your control, like having a new mayor get elected.

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 03:28:26 pm »

If the person supposed to be meeting the diplomat dies or is replaced for any reason the diplomat will automatically leave unhappy. Even if it is completely out of your control, like having a new mayor get elected.

It is a diplomatic faux pas to completely remove the authority of your leader when he's in the middle of a meeting with a foreign diplomat, you know.

What would happen if the President is impeached while talking with the U.K.'s Prime Minister?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 03:29:22 pm »

I don't see how this is a bad thing.

In one of my isolation fortresses that went hilariously awry, I actually fed my fortress by butchering diplomats.

I'd open the main gate and allow the diplomats and traders in. Then seal off the gates. They will eventually go insane or berserk, get struck down, and the corpses hauled off to the butcher's workshop.

The entire time dwarves were going insane and throwing tantrums. Refuse stockpiles were overflowing. There were severed limbs and multiated corpses scattered all around the fortress. The entire fortress was a huge purple cloud of miasma. They could not produce enough food to feed everyone or to brew booze, as I had embarked on a terrifying glacier. I was under endless siege from above and had to keep the drawbridge shut to protect my dwarves from the endless hordes outside.

Diplomats were ravenously devoured, providing almost sole sustenance for my fortress.

Diplomats never left unhappy.  :o

That fortress eventually crumbled to its doom when a titan radiating kindness dodged down a vertical shaft into my fortress while attacking a caravan. The fall was not enough to kill the titan. The titan of kindness rampaged throughout the fortress, with all dwarves now trapped within the walls by the very drawbridge that kept them safe, unable to reach the lever as the titan tore dwarves apart, one after the other.

It kill my fortress with kindness!   :(

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 03:29:35 pm »

Beats him stalking your mayor for three or four years before. Demanding meeting after meeting that never happens.

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 03:38:02 pm »

Funny story

So... are you telling me that your Fortress' main import was:

1- Food

And that you imported it via

2- Sieges?

Awesome  :D

Is it legal to eat Elves/Goblins/Dwarves/Humans?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 03:47:47 pm »

No, my main import was goblin crossbow bolts actually, the food was just a side thing.

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 03:51:03 pm »

Ah. It is sad to know that you cannot convert such bolts to anything useful.

Except, you know, further goblin-hunting.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 03:55:31 pm »

Happy goblins bring food and bolts.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 03:56:36 pm »

Sadly you cannot butcher and eat dwarves. You can, however, butcher and eat elves, goblins, and humans.
Pages: [1] 2