Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting rid of floors between z-layers  (Read 3412 times)

uptonbeat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Getting rid of floors between z-layers
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:57:06 am »

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this whole thing.  Anyway, I was wondering how to mine through the "floors" between z-layers.   Right now I'm trying to clear room for a tower and these things are kind of ruining the asthetic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Getting rid of floors between z-layers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:58:28 am »

use the channel (h) designation

be careful, as it can cause cave-ins and dwarves to fall... which is fun.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:59:39 am »

use the channel (h) designation

be careful, as it can cause cave-ins and dwarves to fall... which is fun.

You forgot to capitalize Fun, fun is one thing, Fun is entirely another. Unless you meant it as fun, then I guess it could be if you like sliding down hills with stone and gravel falling behind you and no way up.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

uptonbeat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:06:22 am »

oh hey, thanks for the quick replies.  I've got a volcano right next to an ocean and know very little of dwarvengineering, so I can only assume that this will end in Fun eventually...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 10:07:25 am »

Trust me, you will lose several forts before you get the hang of it.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:15:39 am »

On a related note, I just figured out where 8 of my miners went..

I found all their bodies in the same little area way deep in a cavern.. forgot I was having them channel.. guess they all fell to their deaths xD

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:49:03 am »

On a somewhat similar note, what's everyone's recommended method for digging a single square vertical shaft for wells? Digging up/down stairways never seems to work, as I can never seem to get them to remove the stairwells without dying.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:49:48 am »

I don't do single squares, I do 2x1's with one being a channel and the other being an up/down staircase.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 10:54:46 am »

I don't do single squares, I do 2x1's with one being a channel and the other being an up/down staircase.

That's what I've started doing. Good to see that I wasn't just giving up and doing it the "wrong" way.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:59:26 am »

That's what I've started doing. Good to see that I wasn't just giving up and doing it the "wrong" way.

Yea that's the safest way to do it usually.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:55:25 am »

On a somewhat similar note, what's everyone's recommended method for digging a single square vertical shaft for wells? Digging up/down stairways never seems to work, as I can never seem to get them to remove the stairwells without dying.

As long as you're not concerned about getting your dorf back up the 1x1 shaft, my method is to designate the entire shaft as ramps- your dorf will calmly dig hisself downward without falling 'til he reaches the bottom, at which point you designate an alternate escape path (through my water works)

Pretty much the only way to dig an empty 1x1 shaft is to have an alternate way out at the bottom.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:58:17 am »

As long as you're not concerned about getting your dorf back up the 1x1 shaft, my method is to designate the entire shaft as ramps- your dorf will calmly dig hisself downward without falling 'til he reaches the bottom, at which point you designate an alternate escape path (through my water works)

Pretty much the only way to dig an empty 1x1 shaft is to have an alternate way out at the bottom.

Good point. However, in my last foray into deep vertical shafts, this would have resulted in the unfortunate dorf plummeting 5 z-levels into a cavern lake. And with only two miners (both legendary), this would have been "bad".  :P

I'll certainly keep this option in mind though. Might come in handy later on. If only I wasn't such a stickler for aesthetics in my fortresses (the extra stairs/shaft is ugly)...

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 12:07:15 pm »

It would only have been bad if you didn't have a fresh recruit practising his mining in that shaft...  I.e., give a hauler a pick, turn mining off on your 2 decent miners, and let the new guy die.  If he's a migrant even better, since he probably has no friends so nobody cares enough to get unhappy thoughts.
Diggy diggy hole.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 12:09:51 pm »

It would only have been bad if you didn't have a fresh recruit practising his mining in that shaft...  I.e., give a hauler a pick, turn mining off on your 2 decent miners, and let the new guy die.  If he's a migrant even better, since he probably has no friends so nobody cares enough to get unhappy thoughts.
Yeah, but then you have a corpse tainting your water supply.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 12:11:55 pm »

Yeah, but then you have a corpse tainting your water supply.
In dwarf fortress, this is called flavoring.
Pages: [1] 2