Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: DF to Minecraft utility  (Read 199414 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: DF to Minecraft utility
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2010, 10:41:13 am »

Welcome to Bay12, hda! Hope you like it! :D

Get out while you can.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2010, 07:38:14 pm »

Get out while you can.

Well, not entirely nice, but he has a point, this place is an addiction! you join to say hi or something, then end up modding, and "learning" things, like how to make a cat not move by removing it's legs ._. Save my soul, please!

DeathToGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2010, 07:44:28 pm »

whenever I go to minecraft.net/indev/ I get a 404 error, any ideas what to do?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2010, 08:40:46 pm »

play dwarf fortress?  ;D
whenever I go to minecraft.net/indev/ I get a 404 error, any ideas what to do?

But it is now minecraft.net/alpha if you have purchased the game.  if not, just go to minecraft.net/
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

IthilanorStPete

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2010, 03:34:39 pm »

This uses DFhack, so upgrading it to support the latest versions is simply a matter of getting the latest DFhack and recompiling.

Can you just copy/paste the dfhack.dll from the DFHack folder into the DF2MC folder? If not, what needs to be done?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2010, 01:06:47 am »

I'm just waiting for this to be compatible with my current fortress...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

TroZ_shack

• Bay Watcher
  • Narf!
    • View Profile
    • Shacknews
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2010, 12:13:44 am »

Version 0.7 has now been released!
Download: http://github.com/TroZ/DF2MC/downloads

New features:
  • Uses DFHack, 0.5.0.2, so supports .13.16 on Window
  • Directional buildings: buildings can be different shapes depending on surrounding building or surrounding walls; the no longer always have to face north. Chairs face tables or away from walls. Torches are placed on the sides of adjacent walls.
  • Directional Walls: Diagonal hallways are now navigable in MineCraft. Corners are kept square unless it would block a diagonal hall, in which case only the corner blocks are removed to allow passage (making diagonal hallways width vary from two to three blocks wide diagonally).
  • New Object / Material system defines object shapes separately from the material definitions, so now objects are 'carves' out of solid blocks of material.

This means that now I have unique definitions for every Stone, Ore, Soil, Sand, Metal Bar, and several other objects (potash, coal, etc.) Gems also have the correct color and you can tell their worth (Ornamental, semi-presious, precious, rare) just from looking at them (more info than DF will give you without using loo(k) ), although gems of the same color and worth are converted identically currently (although you should be able to tell many apart from the stone they are in. All materials attempt to replicate the color of the object in DF.

For Stone, the center block of each face indicates the rock 'class' (Sedementary = Rock, Igneous = Obsidian, Metamorphic = Cobble). Vein stone are similar to the layer stones
in which they are found, varying only by the corners.
Metals: 'Monitary' metals are mostly gold blocks, where as usefull metals are mostly iron blocks. Pure metals have top and bottom layers of only Iron or Gold blocks, their center layers being different, while Alloy metals have a different blocks in their top and bottom layers as well.  Admantine is made out of all Diamond Blocks, its ore is pure Redstone.
Ores have a similar system. The more usefull ores have more iron in them where the more valuable ones have more gold.
Constructed stone walls should have a cobble center (natural is a smooth rock center), but this isn't apparent without breaking things.

In general, diamond, redstone and gold ore, if seen in the corners of of a block are used to indicate blue, red and yellow coloration respectively, and aren't necessarily indication the DF block is an ore. Occasionally redstone and diamond are used together to indicate purple, kimberlite being an example.

With the new material system, sand and gravel are used for various sands (together and separtely) and gravel is also used in various ashes (ash, potash, etc.). However, this causes issues if you have such material over an open space (as sand and gravel are the only materials that fall if air is below them).  There is now an option (default on) to replace sand and gravel in such situations with dirt. (I also originaly had the soil 'peat' made out of dirt and leaves, but that caused other problems with most of the leaves disappearing or turning into saplings. This is also the reason green glass uses mossy cobble instead of leaves).

Additionally, I've improved performance in fortresses that have a large number of constructions. For me Flarechannel now completes in under an hour rather than the 'almost one whole day' that it took previously (I'm no longer looping through all the constructions to find the construction for the current location, I'm looking it up in a map based on position, a big speedup when your fortress has 300,000+ constructions like Flarechannel does).

Speaking of Flarechannel, some screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://troz.shackspace.com/minecraft/df2mc/flarechannel/Flarechannel.rar

This was a lot of work, and not as easy as I originally though it was going to be.  Mostly as there are more materials than I thought there were, and that I've have to define each material multiple times.  For example, gems are typically 'vein' material.  However, if you mine the gem, and have a 'gem floor' that later gets covered by mud, if a plant grows there, the gem floor's basic material is then reported as soil, because of the plant is growing there.  I'm not sure the circumstance, but at last one fortress showed some gems' basic material as Obsidian (maybe the gems were in an obsidian layer?).  Materials used in a construction aren't reported the same as as the same material unmined, and it could be in the form of stone, blocks, bars or logs. So, most materials are defined at least three times, and some are defined 4 times.
Additionally, many material names aren't consistent with how they are displayed in games. For example, opal gems are reported as opal_<type> but are displayed as <Type> Opal in game.  This is due to how they are define in the raws.  In most cases, I have both versions defined in the settings file.

Well, it's been over a month, but this release has a lot of good features.  I'm probably missing a few rare materials, so there may be a few small fixes soon, but the next major release probably won't be until after the Halloween Minecraft Update, to take advantage of things added then, such as biomes or new block types.

I have most of the feature that I wanted in the code now that are possible to do (DFHack doesn't really support items yet or location names). If you have any ideas for features or improvements, mention them and I'll see if I can implement them.
DF2MC -> Convert DF Maps to Minecraft Levels so you can use Minecraft as a 3D visualizer for Dwarf Fortress
DF2MC - The cause of 15+ head explosions and counting!

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2010, 06:11:14 am »

I spent an hour just walking through my fort. It isn't an amazing fort... it has the most insane clothing industry in the entire continent, but it is just a boring old fort...

But I *loved* it. I spent ~20 minutes trying to find the entrance to my fort (it is just 3 ramps, dug into the soil, so it is impossible to find). I ended up giving up, and mined my way through my well into my fort.

After that, I looked at my barracks (nice), Dining room (Legendary, and quite roomy too!), hospital, my little cubby-holes for each of my coffins, and my barons bedroom (a 10x10 smoothed room, with just one bed and a rose gold armor rack. It was mind-blowingly empty, and he loves it.

Then, I travelled down into my shaft mines, and got lost :(

Now I just have to reload and look through the underground caverns!!

Thanks for giving me incentive to make a massive megaproject, just so I can visualize it (and share it to my non-DF playing, minecraft-playing flatmates :D)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2010, 11:03:44 am »

I tried this in the early versions.  I thought it was impressive then.

I just now tried the most recent.  Oh My God.

Very impressive.  It actually managed to load all the way to the magma sea this time.  I actually think it may have gone deeper, but I hadn't exposed any hit of the "stuff" that lets me get deeper at this point and didn't feel like hunting for it.

I did however go spelunking in the cavern layers.  It was like a stage of Doom 2 only with more dark, more enemies, and GCS.  I ran out of arrows in 2 minutes before succumbing to the hordes.  Despite the starting full diamond gear.  That was fun.  In both senses of the word.

EDIT: (spoiler) is...interesting....or at least I assume it was (spoiler) I dug through massive amounts of redstone and came across a massive cavern that was 90% magmafall and the rest adminium.  Not quite how I imagined (spoiler) but it was certainly (spoiler)-ish.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:29:57 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2010, 03:28:02 pm »

Cotton candy/clownite/(spoiler) should be be diamond blocks. That'd be great.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2010, 09:26:04 pm »

Do you know how long it would be till this becomes Alpha-compatible? I want to make a dungeon, but lack minecraft.  :'(
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2010, 09:18:56 am »

DF2MC doesn't kill people.  People with DF2MC kill people. 

(usually themselves from massive head structural integrity failure.)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TroZ_shack

• Bay Watcher
  • Narf!
    • View Profile
    • Shacknews
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2010, 11:18:32 am »

Do you know how long it would be till this becomes Alpha-compatible?

I'm not sure what you are asking.  This utility will currently will convert any Dwarf Fortress .28.40d or .31.01 to .31.16 fortress to a Minecraft Alpha save directory.  When it is done converting, you only have to copy the created directory to you Minecraft save folder and rename it to 'WorldX' where X is 1-5 and is an open save slot.  This is so the utility doesn't accidentally overwrite one of your saves;
DF2MC -> Convert DF Maps to Minecraft Levels so you can use Minecraft as a 3D visualizer for Dwarf Fortress
DF2MC - The cause of 15+ head explosions and counting!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2010, 07:20:47 am »

This thing is amazing. Spent a while just exploring my fort. And getting ambushed by random stuff.
My farms are all muddy, and thus dangerous. Plus there's occasional torchless areas that make it juuust dark enough to spawn a creeper. I eventually got finished off by one :(
Even what you might think are the smallest areas, are incredibly massive. Makes even the smallest forts epic.

Shame it only goes 42 levels though, maybe in the future Notch will give us a workaround or change the cap.
Goes down to just below the first cavern layer for my old map.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2010, 05:59:55 pm »

Does Minecraft take a lot to load the map? I've done the conversion alright, but when loading the map the game just says "simulating for a bit..." and then freezes. It's been like this 5 minutes already, so I'm pretty sure this is not working  ::) Any ideas?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19