Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: DF to Minecraft utility  (Read 199400 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: DF to Minecraft utility
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2010, 12:14:09 pm »

I deleted the later instances of the quote pyramid.  Please don't spam somebody's topic with that sort of thing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2010, 08:19:30 am »

Does Minecraft take a lot to load the map? I've done the conversion alright, but when loading the map the game just says "simulating for a bit..." and then freezes. It's been like this 5 minutes already, so I'm pretty sure this is not working  ::) Any ideas?

Doesn't sound like it should do that. Have you tried other forts?
~ T

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2010, 01:14:42 pm »

Out of curiousity, how difficult would it be to make a converter that goes the other direction? Obviously there wouldn't be furniture, but...
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2010, 01:49:30 pm »

Where in the wourld would you place your location? I think it's impossible due to the way DF worlds work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2010, 02:23:19 pm »

Out of curiousity, how difficult would it be to make a converter that goes the other direction? Obviously there wouldn't be furniture, but...
Depends. We don't know a lot of the map yet. Something that takes a whole minecraft alpha world and turns it into a DF save is very close to impossible. Moving small sections of the minecraft map into DF could be done in some cases, but it would probably cause other unpredictable problems (missing pathfinding data, blocks in DF not being initialized, etc.). Too much mess to deal with really.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2010, 06:02:57 pm »

I am currently turning the magma mountians into a minecraft map. This should be FUN.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2010, 08:28:24 pm »

When  is this going to work with .18? I just got minecraft and recently I have been playing both very often!
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2010, 04:50:16 pm »

This looks amazing... However, it does not appear to be compatible with my Mac.

Do you have any plans to make it Mac compatible?

Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2010, 05:39:39 pm »

...It works by converting each 'square' in Dwarf Fortress into a NxNxN block of cubes in Minecraft, looking up how to convert each object in a settings xml file that can be user modified. The default file that I provide converts each 'square' into a 3x3x3 block of cubes, but other sizes are possible. I currently have nearly 1000 objects defined.

Current limitations:
Only outputs Indev .mclevel files, not Alpha 'infinite' levels, so level sizes are limited by memory and must be played at http://www.minecraft.com/indev  This also limits the available block types (no doors or furnaces is biggest issue)
Lighting is not calculated, so level starts out dark until game can calculate the lighting over the first few minutes of play...
If you have any ideas for features or improvements, mention them and I'll see if I can implement them.

Would it be possible to have DF2MC run in the background while Minecraft is running?
Perhaps there is some way to use DF2MC to "update" the map data for Minecraft periodically, to update the map and to switch between levels and areas?

I'm thinking of a hot key that, when pressed, would updated the map in Minecraft without having to restart...

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2010, 07:49:23 pm »

head exploded. My just

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2010, 08:12:34 pm »

Would it be possible to have DF2MC run in the background while Minecraft is running?
Perhaps there is some way to use DF2MC to "update" the map data for Minecraft periodically, to update the map and to switch between levels and areas?

I'm thinking of a hot key that, when pressed, would updated the map in Minecraft without having to restart...
Ahahaha, have this running on a server and the people connecting to it will be running around in your fortress.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 06, 2010, 12:44:13 am »

Ahahaha, have this running on a server and the people connecting to it will be running around in your fortress.

Epic idea. We make a Bay12 Minecraft fort.
I hereby elect myself Hammerer. On your knees, maggots.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

LumpyGravy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2010, 02:52:23 am »

I could not get this to work.. is it currently not working with the current version? I have a mod'd game graphix wise will this start a foobar?

LumpyGravy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2010, 02:59:28 am »

any help would be appreciated... just found DF but been playing Minecraft awhile.......

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2010, 06:51:32 am »

Do you know how long it would be till this becomes Alpha-compatible?

I'm not sure what you are asking.  This utility will currently will convert any Dwarf Fortress .28.40d or .31.01 to .31.16 fortress to a Minecraft Alpha save directory.  When it is done converting, you only have to copy the created directory to you Minecraft save folder and rename it to 'WorldX' where X is 1-5 and is an open save slot.  This is so the utility doesn't accidentally overwrite one of your saves;

You REALLY need to update the OP man! It still says its indev only!
Also nowhere in the latest update does it indicate what versions of MC it works with, although its probably been alpha compatible for a while since September
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:55:10 am by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19