Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: "The Blender"  (Read 12173 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The Blender"
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 06:50:07 am »

Shadowclaimer, use the macros.

They're surprisingly easy.

Unfortunately I couldn't make my modular ones (where 1 macro calls a couple of others in order) work. :\
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:51:42 am by JAFANZ »

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 06:51:51 am »

Shadowclaimer, use the macros.

They're surprisingly easy.

Unfortunately I couldn't make my modular ones (where 1 macro calls a couple of others in order) work. :\

Dwarf Wiki is a lifesaver, I now know what Macros are..
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 07:00:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I only just noticed that you'd updated your post while I was typing the above.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:03:41 am by JAFANZ »

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
  • BladeBerserker cancels Life; Interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 09:22:11 am »

I prefer The Perforator. As in, a huge hallway of upright spears controlled by a lever, making sure that the operator has no other job than pulling said lever.

There's less body parts to clean up and any survivors of being stabbed many times are unconcious or too wounded to fight back.
If it doesn't work, apply magma. If THAT doesn't work, apply Artifact Gabbro Cabinet

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 09:24:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I only just noticed that you'd updated your post while I was typing the above.

Yea it really helps given I use an 11x11 module room setup for all my fortresses.

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 09:31:40 am »

You're sad that the bones of your enemies are scattered around your fortress?
It uglies up my entrance, I mean I'm dark dwarves but 20 sets of goblin bones through saw blades is just ugly.. that and my dorfs don't seem to want to get the clothes that are in the traps either lol

One pretty entrance with drawbridge, one always-open entrance with The Gauntlet of Blades.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 09:34:57 am »

You're sad that the bones of your enemies are scattered around your fortress?
It uglies up my entrance, I mean I'm dark dwarves but 20 sets of goblin bones through saw blades is just ugly.. that and my dorfs don't seem to want to get the clothes that are in the traps either lol

One pretty entrance with drawbridge, one always-open entrance with The Gauntlet of Blades.

But I love having my awesome airlock statue lined grand entrance with tons of whirling sawblades everywhere screaming for blood. The issue is just I don't know how to clean it up.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 10:59:00 am »

Update, second siege, another 20 goblins of various sorts, almost every single one of them brought a creature of some sort with them. The shit hit the fan, literally, and now all that's left are two goblins with cave crawlers sitting outside the traps staring at my dorfs scared to death.

Trying to lure them into the traps lol

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 12:16:22 pm »

No, now is when you bring up the dwarven marksmen, station them across the traps and blast the shit out the shell-shocked gobbos.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 12:24:52 pm »

The Goblin Grinder is my new favorite way of building goblin deathtraps:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62798.0

Use it with all kinds of other trap systems, but it's hands-off instead of having to work on timing with drawbridges.  Once the goblins go in, they can't get back out. 

I like to make a longish hallway that is always open at both ends but marked low traffic so dwarves don't try to use it. I leave a drawbridge down for the dwarves to go in and out, and raise it when a siege or ambush shows up.  I put the first hatch at the very beginning of the hallt, but leave the traps for further down the hall so a whole siege will enter (hopefully) before the first few hit the deathtraps.  I also like to put cage traps before the actual deathtraps so I can catch some for target practice later.  Then once the siege gets vaporized by the weapon traps and the rest turn around to try to leave, they can't get by the hatch on that end.  I have the first part of the hall carved with fortifications so I can station my marksdwarves outside the grinder and pick off the rest of the siege that don't continue to get vaporized by sawblades as they run back and forth trying to path their way out of the trap.

I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 12:36:30 pm »

Goblinite!

WILL IT BLEND?! 

Priceless!

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 12:38:05 pm »

Yea if this fortress falls I have some cool ideas to use the side hallways against the goblins and lure them through the traps.

I need to use some pressure pads as well, possibly make it so that when they reach the end it forcefully shuts the gate, then opens a different one, leaving them running in circles after non-existant dwarves and hitting tons of traps.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 12:46:49 pm »

I present the Blender 2.0

Code: [Select]
    WWWWW
    W   WWWWWW
    W B      W
    W   WWWW W
   WWWFWWW W W
   W TPT WWW WW
 WWWTTTTTWW   WWWWWW
=> FPTWTPF  B      ->
 WWWTTTTTWW   WWWWWW
   W TPT WWW WW
   WWWFWWW W W
    W   WWWW W
    W B      W
    W   WWWWWW
    WWWWW 
Key:
W = Walls
T = Weapon Traps (10x Iron Sawblades each)
B = Bait Animal on Rope
F = Floodgate
P = Pressure Pad

All gates are open at first, when the Goblin steps on a Pressure Pad the Gate next to it is then shut, making them path after the next animal in the rotation. As soon as they hit that Pressure Pad though that gate shuts, making them run after another, all the while running through traps.

Comments?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 01:19:12 pm »

ill usualy have 2 rows á 5 steel spiked balls, followed by 2 (or more) rows á 2 serrated steel disks + 1 giant axe blade.
gobbos wont make behind the first 2 rows that often, and any mega beast that can do will get sliced by the chopping traps.

so, not to many gobbo arms in my entrance.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 01:31:41 pm »

I present the Blender 2.0

All gates are open at first, when the Goblin steps on a Pressure Pad the Gate next to it is then shut, making them path after the next animal in the rotation. As soon as they hit that Pressure Pad though that gate shuts, making them run after another, all the while running through traps.

Comments?
You're going to need some water logic to make that work.  Floodgates are closed when off, open when on, so if you have the floodgate directly linked to the pressure plate it will be closed and only open when a goblin steps on it.  You could use the pressure plate to open a door somewhere else to let water onto a pressure plate that closes the floodgate or some similar water logic signal inverter system, but I suspect the delay in the system would be long enough that the goblin would have already killed the bait animal and left by the time the gates react.  Also, creatures can move diagonally, so your setup will let the goblins reach the floodgate without stepping on the pressure plate.

What you can do is instead of using floodgates, use floor hatches over open space.  Floor hatches open when activated, and have zero delay, so a pressure plate linked to a floor hatch will instantly block a passage.  Something like this:

Code: [Select]
WWWWW WWWWW
W         W
WhWWWWWWWhW
WPWWWWWWWPW
WTTTTTTTTTW
WWWWWWWWWWW
where each P is a pressure plate linked to floor hatch h over a pit, and at the top is either an exit or a bait animal.  A goblin let into the lower corridor will pace back and forth forever or until killed by the traps, with each pressure plate opening the floor hatch to block him when he steps on it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5