Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: "The Blender"  (Read 11950 times)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
Re: "The Blender"
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2010, 07:39:47 pm »

Weapon Traps with Spears in them are better than Upright Spikes right? Since Upright Spikes require a trigger?
Upright Spikes require a trigger, but unlike Weapon Traps they never jam.  I'm designing a similar trap to this using upright spikes in a current fortress, using a water-powered repeater to trigger the spikes.

Care to explain how you're doing the water powered repeater?
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 07:51:46 am »

Care to explain how you're doing the water powered repeater?

The repeater design I use is as follows:

Code: [Select]
WWWWW
WX^b+
WWWWW
where W is wall, X is a floodgate, ^ is a pressure plate set to activate with water of 5/7 or deeper depth, and b is a single-tile raising bridge (raising in any direction).  The right side of the device is open and connected to an infinite water source, optionally through a floodgate or something so you can switch it on and off.  The pressure plate is linked to both the bridge and the floodgate, and whatever you're controlling with it.

I did not create this design, but I have used it in nearly every fortress I've made.  This is not the fastest repeater, but is very simple and quick to build provided you've got an unlimited source of water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2010, 10:08:15 am »

You are complaining about too many goblin pieces being sprayed by your traps?  What the hell is wrong you people...

:D
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2010, 10:37:42 am »

I recently watched my newly completed blender-esque trap in action,

It's in the middle section of an S shaped hallway, and the traps themselves are lined up diagonally where the enemies are most likely to walk. It's 29 traps, each with only one Iron Serrated Disk, (I need  6 more traps to finish it, and then I'll just start rebuilding them with more disks in it >.>)

A troll stepped on the first trap, and was instantly killed, by the time the 6 trolls had taken the traps on, the traps were painted a nice Troll-Blood blue. And then the 25 goblins ran through, and now it's a yucky brown color. Only one goblin made it through, to be taken down by my militia. The 2nd wave of 25 goblins just ran away.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2010, 02:32:14 pm »

Here's a repeater design I'm currently working on in N-Wh, especially considering my boiler didn't work as well as I thought as a repeater; however, I can still use it as it was designed to be (lever operates boiler which uses the pressure plate within to activate the primary repeater gears), and just make it look like the repeater is linked to the boiler with all the proper mechanisms to transfer the power (windmills still look convincing enough to also be a mechanism operating "balls-out" (IE-full throttle, via steam-pressure)).

Spoiler: Repeater design plans (click to show/hide)

It's built with a roof to prevent evaporation if built outside (which in my case, it is; roof also houses the mechanism links above the pumps). I intend to use it with an A-B operation. The pressure plates toggle the pumps in rotation with hopefully enough delay to activate a step of operation. The spike switches are on opposite corners for the 4-step delay to take effect, and operate alternate spikes. Simply, it takes 4 steps in the repeater to go a full loop for a spike strip, Or as illustrated:

A<
v+^
 >B

While the spike strip is built in ABABABABAB format. Hopefully the pacing is spread wide enough to operate, but still swift enough to be effective. Then again, at least you have to do a mile-long marathon through my spike maze which progressively gets worse (+1 spike-per row) to get to the back door... or not. Beware the drop bridge after the trials.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:06:27 pm by Itnetlolor »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:04 pm »

i totaly dont get the use of such an device.
gobbos will run over the traps forever - or better untill they hit the first *unjammed* trap , in witch case gobbos usualy refuse to live on.
if you mangage to catch in whole gobbo armys in this rooms, the traps will jam, and the remining gobbos will run in circles untill they starve.
maby its a bit more usefull vs mega beasts, but megabeasts wont survive 2 or 3 traps in a row anyways.

so, is it me, whos missing an important point here or is this whole setup rather useless?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2010, 12:48:41 am »

Goblins will only run over traps "forever" until there are no more traps for them to run over, the use of repeater is to trap them in an infinite loop over a finite supply of traps, otherwise they'll eventually get past your traps, be it because the traps are not working anymore or because they invaders are all now Legendary+5 dodgers/shieldsgobbos.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2010, 01:04:29 am »

I'm trying to design a repeatable cavein trap using magma+water to build the obsidian roof to cave in.

"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2010, 08:30:10 am »

It is very difficult to have the magma and water form obsidian 'unattached' so it caves in.

You could try doing it off the end of a bridge, IIRC bridges don't support things.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2010, 08:38:40 am »

i totaly dont get the use of such an device.
gobbos will run over the traps forever - or better untill they hit the first *unjammed* trap , in witch case gobbos usualy refuse to live on.
if you mangage to catch in whole gobbo armys in this rooms, the traps will jam, and the remining gobbos will run in circles untill they starve.
maby its a bit more usefull vs mega beasts, but megabeasts wont survive 2 or 3 traps in a row anyways.

so, is it me, whos missing an important point here or is this whole setup rather useless?

Fun.

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2010, 05:04:05 pm »

Regarding my 3-in-1 blender. I can turn my victims into dog food (bottom floor; war dogs: Best for Kobolds), I can get some fresh meat, tenderize, then frappe my intruders, while priming them for kebabs (second floor with progressively worse traps as you somehow survive further down the line, unless you can somehow evade them all (master thief or something, and I spot them ahead of time), then...), I have my repeater-operated spike strip which also gets progressively worse the further in you go (takes all kinds; even megas). However, this can convert into a mini-arena for my troops to come in for; I just have to remember to shut off the repeater first, and expand the arena by lowering the walls (wide drawbridges); unless I want corridor matches.

Sure, the contraptions to operate it are a little out there and a bit complicated, but the end result should be a fun security system to watch. If it's worth engineering, it's worth over-engineering.

EDIT:
I can always forbid the traps to prevent reloading them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:35:33 pm by Itnetlolor »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2010, 07:06:32 pm »

While cage traps sure are a lot easier to get built in the early game, man it gets stale micromanaging them.  I don't think I'll build cage traps any more, lethal traps are just so much less of a pain in the ass.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2010, 08:07:33 pm »

While cage traps sure are a lot easier to get built in the early game, man it gets stale micromanaging them.  I don't think I'll build cage traps any more, lethal traps are just so much less of a pain in the ass.

Cage Traps give the opportunity for you to screw up when transporting said creatures as well, that's what sucks for me. I go to dump them in a pit, Urist McMoron lets them out, problem is worse than before because now they are past all my traps.

I'd rather just chop them up.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2010, 08:29:11 pm »

The worst part is that there are little skeletal arm looking things everywhere now (using K does not show what they are, I'm using Mayday's Tileset)
broken arrows. :)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2010, 09:04:49 pm »

The worst part is that there are little skeletal arm looking things everywhere now (using K does not show what they are, I'm using Mayday's Tileset)
broken arrows. :)

Ah how do I get rid of them?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5