Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: "The Blender"  (Read 11947 times)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
Re: "The Blender"
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 01:41:59 pm »

I present the Blender 2.0

All gates are open at first, when the Goblin steps on a Pressure Pad the Gate next to it is then shut, making them path after the next animal in the rotation. As soon as they hit that Pressure Pad though that gate shuts, making them run after another, all the while running through traps.

Comments?
You're going to need some water logic to make that work.  Floodgates are closed when off, open when on, so if you have the floodgate directly linked to the pressure plate it will be closed and only open when a goblin steps on it.  You could use the pressure plate to open a door somewhere else to let water onto a pressure plate that closes the floodgate or some similar water logic signal inverter system, but I suspect the delay in the system would be long enough that the goblin would have already killed the bait animal and left by the time the gates react.  Also, creatures can move diagonally, so your setup will let the goblins reach the floodgate without stepping on the pressure plate.

What you can do is instead of using floodgates, use floor hatches over open space.  Floor hatches open when activated, and have zero delay, so a pressure plate linked to a floor hatch will instantly block a passage.  Something like this:

Code: [Select]
WWWWW WWWWW
W         W
WhWWWWWWWhW
WPWWWWWWWPW
WTTTTTTTTTW
WWWWWWWWWWW
where each P is a pressure plate linked to floor hatch h over a pit, and at the top is either an exit or a bait animal.  A goblin let into the lower corridor will pace back and forth forever or until killed by the traps, with each pressure plate opening the floor hatch to block him when he steps on it.

That is exactly the reply i was looking for, I'm knew to using pressure plates so I didn't know there was a delay exactly. Thank you greatly sir I'll have to do some tests and see if I can get a good one working.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 01:45:49 pm »

I have a variable blender building for my recent 40d fort.

It's divided into 3 floors, bottom has a series of chained war animals (dogs for now), the middle floor goes from a line of cage traps, then a line of stone-falls, to a line of a series of traps 1-10 progressively, starting from whips to saw blades by the end, with increasing amounts of crossbows the deeper in they go, and the top floor is a series of lines of alternating spike traps that are boiler/repeater-powered which increase from 1 to maybe 7 at a time the deeper in they go there.

It also has an option to go swiftly, sans walls for cleanup and tossing military into the mix; providing a shortcut. Oh, and as a final middle-finger to my invaders, I primarily leave my back door closed still as they invade so they trip a drop bridge that makes them start the fun all over again, provided they survive the fall. 1 pressure plate, and 2 10-length bridges that railroads to the front door access that retract when the PP is tripped,

Progress so far (been on a bit of a hiatus)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:51:06 pm by Itnetlolor »

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »

Also to note I modified my design a bit and I realized that you can invert the system technically by just hooking it up to other gates. IE:

The North Pressure Pad would activate Gates S, E, and W. The South one would activate Gates N, E, and W. If I wanted to invert that I could make the Gate activate the door right next to the pressure pad.

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2010, 08:47:32 pm »

I'm swapping out the Blender 3.0 design for an aboveground variant I'm calling the Roach Motel.

Code: [Select]
WWWWHWWWW
WWWWPWWWW
WWTTTTTWW
WWTTTTTWW
HPTTTTTPH
WWTTTTTWW
WWTTTTTWW
WWWWPWWWW
WWWWHWWWW
W = Wall
H = Hatch
P = Pressure Pad
T = Weapon Trap

Essentially once a creature enters and hits a pressure pad, it locks the door behind them, they then run to another exit to try to leave and it opens behind them and closes the one in front. Repeat this while they are running between traps and they're stuck until they die or until all the traps clog.

This would have to be stationed at like the front of a fortress and be your entrance essentially to work the most effectively. However I get the feeling that with retractable bridges and some modification you could use bait to keep them in it like the Blender 3.0.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 10:07:23 am »

I'm working on my own blender design now.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 11:37:29 am »

I find a 3x4 set of traps filled with 10 *Giant Steel Axe Blades* is more than enough to deal with semi-megabeasts, goblins and pretty much everything. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 02:21:38 pm »

I find a 3x4 set of traps filled with 10 *Giant Steel Axe Blades* is more than enough to deal with semi-megabeasts, goblins and pretty much everything.

Given my luck the "almost everything" wouldn't cover the one thing that'd show up every siege.

Speaking of that though, a huge goblin siege is attacking now being led by none other than the king of the Goblins himself, only its not the King of the Goblins, its a Forgotten Beast "twisted in the guise of a humanoid Goblin" leading the siege o.O this is AWESOME.

Edit its not a Forgotten Beast, its just a "marmot-like beast", I started a forest fire by messing with my pump stack and the fire engulfed the whole army
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:01:18 pm by Shadowclaimer »

sinister agent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 03:41:36 pm »

I am quite proud of 'Shinshatter Shaft'.  It's nothing special, but basically a small crater I embarked in (to much initial confusion) just outside my main entrance.  I quickly converted it into an absurdly deep mine shaft, and covered it with a false floor (initially I used collapsing cielings to save me having to fiddle about channeling the floors away after I'd mined the layers below), and sealed it.  It's simple, fast, and brutally effective.

What I am most pleased with is that at the other entrance, there's a flooding trap.  I'd never used one before, and wasn't sure what to do with the water once everyone was dead, but I soon realised that with a small modification, I could connect the two so that any mangled, bleeding survivors in shinshatter shaft would find themselves showered in the bloody, fetid water that killed their friends a few weeks ago.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2010, 03:48:16 pm »

i never seen anything surviving *one* such trap. in fact, speaking of gobbos, these traps are a verry bad strategy. they will spam insane ammounts of hauling jobs, the remainings will produce small bone-bolt stacks and this setup  is unreliable to defend of large siges due to bodyparts jamming the traps.

therefore, i prefer more traps with less weapons. like a 2 serrated steel disc trap savely kills an armored goblin.
at the moment, my mixture of doom is 2 menancing balls and 1 giant axe blade.
one ball does have 3 attaks, each powerfull enugh to mangle an armored gobbo-body part without producing any chunks.
the axe does have one of the most powerfull attacks  in game and will cut off one limb of any creature.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:52:28 pm by motorbitch »

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 04:41:22 pm »

i never seen anything surviving *one* such trap. in fact, speaking of gobbos, these traps are a verry bad strategy. they will spam insane ammounts of hauling jobs, the remainings will produce small bone-bolt stacks and this setup  is unreliable to defend of large siges due to bodyparts jamming the traps.

therefore, i prefer more traps with less weapons. like a 2 serrated steel disc trap savely kills an armored goblin.
at the moment, my mixture of doom is 2 menancing balls and 1 giant axe blade.
one ball does have 3 attaks, each powerfull enugh to mangle an armored gobbo-body part without producing any chunks.
the axe does have one of the most powerfull attacks  in game and will cut off one limb of any creature.

Yea next time I don't think I'll use the saw blades, this game showed me its way too big of a mess, I thought the wiki was exaggerating on that claim, hell no. My refuse piles (I have 4 11x11 ones and a huge 30x30 outside somewhere) are filling insanely fast.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 04:52:37 pm »

Back in my first fort in 40d, I used sawblades in my weapon traps, but the sheer number of flying limbs made for excessive cleanup, especially when they flew up to unreachable places. When I played a few retro-forts in 23a, I used weapon traps loaded with spears instead (there were no upright spear traps or menacing spikes, and trap components cost 2 metal bars apiece). In my first (and current) 0.31 fort, I'm just sticking with a floodable entrance with a few cage traps to reveal ambushers.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2010, 05:45:00 pm »

Weapon Traps with Spears in them are better than Upright Spikes right? Since Upright Spikes require a trigger?

I'm contemplating replacing the Blender 3.0 and Roach Motel with a Perforator.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:51:02 pm by Shadowclaimer »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2010, 06:05:53 pm »

Weapon Traps with Spears in them are better than Upright Spikes right? Since Upright Spikes require a trigger?
Upright Spikes require a trigger, but unlike Weapon Traps they never jam.  I'm designing a similar trap to this using upright spikes in a current fortress, using a water-powered repeater to trigger the spikes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 06:21:38 pm »

I've just built myself one of these and, once I got a few initial problems fixed, it worked great.

It would work better if enemies didn't insist on following their squad leader, but I reckon my current defences could stand up to most enemies well.

Currently I have 7 weapon traps (one artefact mechanism) each with 10 serrated iron disks.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 06:33:59 pm »

I'm making a passage of exactly 35 traps with serrated disk. Automated plumbing to flush remains away included. I just need magma to burn the unwanted stuff. Also the traps themselves are all magma proof so I plan on expanding a method to dump magma on the whole place.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5