Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Let's Play Digimon World - BLIND  (Read 15431 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Digimon World - BLIND
« on: August 22, 2010, 03:35:55 pm »

Let's Play Digimon World, blind! Blind as in not knowing what the hell we are getting into.

From first look, Digimon World is an RPG set in the Digimon universe. Digimon, short for Digital Monsters, come from the Digital World, a parallel universe created as a side effect of the existence of the internet. In this game, you play as <insert name here>(we're going with "Akura" by the way), a young boy in central Japan, where the Digimon Battle Game is as popular as... the Digimon Battle Game was in Japan when it came out ::), but gets sucked into the Digital World and tasked with saving File City. This is presumably done by taming and training a variety of Digimon.

So let's get started...

(sorry about the hard-to-read text, the emulator I'm using doesn't have a built-in screenshot function, and PrntScrn only works in windowed mode, which goes pretty slow on even a relatively small screen size. Might need a new emulator here :-\)
The game starts off by introducing us to Jijimon, who I assume is supposed to be the old, wise, asshole who sends us on our involuntary quest to save the (Digital) world. He starts by asking a series of questions:

"Do you have a Digivice?" - In the anime, the Digivice is sort of a link between the Digidestined human and their Digimon partner.

"Do you have any friends?" - A friend is a...

"What is your name?" - Again, we're going with Akura for this.

And...

We get to name our Digimon! Limited to 6 letters, so Gabumon(the one we get) doesn't actually fit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Digimon World - BLIND
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:09:59 pm »

Name it Crack.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 05:46:08 pm »

Chikin
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:47:32 pm »

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 07:26:24 pm »

Eh, already named him Crack. And...

Jijimon thinks it's a good name.

And so, our hero journeys home from a long day, as shown from this elevator security camera, which was originally installed to make sure no teenage schoolgirls were making out in the elevator, and if they were, make sure there was ample evidence of it.

And it seems he lives a stone's throw away from an industrial park, judging from the smog-laden sunset.

Inside we find that his mother is missing! Oh, there's a note...

Pudding :D! But before we can enjoy our delicious pudding, a mysterious light brings us to our hero's bedroom.

Do these things normally glow like that? Check the warranty, we might be able to get a ref-

It's Koramon! (who Digevolves into Agumon, then into Greymon) He seems to be trying to tell us something, but we can't understand a word of it.

Probably to warn us that was going to happen.

And we're in the Digital World. File City, in the center of File Island(which in the anime was Devimon's fortress).
And to prove I am a complete nerd, the one at the top is Tokomon, who digevolves into Patamon(then into Angemon). The one to the right is Koramon. Next is the baby form of what eventually becomes Biyomon. I don't know what the plant one is(it isn't Palmon, it might be her previous form, though), but that's Gabumon(Crack) after it. The black one after Crack is I believe is Gabumon's baby form. After that is Poyomon, Tokomon's/Patamon's baby form. The last one is the digevolution stage before Gabumon. I have no idea what that purple think floating by Jijimon is.

After waking up from falling face-first onto solid ground, Jijimon brings us into his house to tell us what to do.

I'd hardly call being sucked through a dimensional rift against my will into a hostile universe an invitation to save the world. Anyway, Jijimon explains that Digimon used to live in File City, but have recently begun losing their heart, which entails them losing the ability to speak and forgetting where they live. Sounds like Alzhiemer's to me. Go goes on to say that my love for Digimon and ability to train them is how I'll save File City, and has in fact allowed me to be unconsciously speaking fluent Digimon the entire time.

I find this kid to be highly suspect now. Why would a Japanese boy be speaking English as his native language, or at least he assumes he is?

Now we set off with a very specific goal in mind, explore the island a bit, find whatever is causing trouble, and fix it somehow.

I have absolutely no idea what those two bars on the bottom right are. In fact, if I could get a copy of the manual, that'd be pretty awesome.

But first, let's look at the menus.

I'm sorry, Year 1?! Well, this is going to take awhile... unless this is before the events of the first season of the anime, in which there was a time difference between the real world and the Digital World, which was about 1 minute in the real world was a day in the digital one(which was fixed when the Digidestined killed Apocalymon, who caused it in the first place). We also have here options to praise or scold Crack, not sure what that does.

We have no items at the moment, but let's look at Crack's stats.

He has 3 hearts of life, 50% happiness, 0%(?) of Disc(whatever that is), 0% of Vir., which since the icon is a turd, is probably some measure of hygene. He's 0 years old, weighs 15<whatever>s, has two unidentified special abilities(a manual would be nice here!), and appears to be a Data-type Digimon who is active in the morning. His stats seem to be pretty low for now, since we're just starting out, and Gabumon is a Rookie-stage Digimon.

Now, for his attacks...

It seems all he has is Sonic Jab, and maybe/maybe not Blue Blaster. On the screen for attack assignment...

It seems it's just Sonic Jab, which because of the horrible interface can't be seen, but it's equipped on tier 4 of Battle skills.

Next update, we actually do something!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 07:49:28 pm »

Walk upwards!
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 08:17:19 pm »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 08:20:12 pm »

Does Digiworld have North and South? Upwards on the screen.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 08:27:09 pm »

Oh dude, I remember this game. A word to the wise: NEVER LET HIM TAKE A DUMP ANYWHERE BUT A TOILET. It actually makes it so he can't digivolve into the best forms. Also, be sure to train. A lot.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7