Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Favorite Domesticated creatures.  (Read 1094 times)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Favorite Domesticated creatures.
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:11:34 pm »

I have heard described many forts where one particular creature would become tied to the forts populace, Be it Giant eagles, cave crocodiles, werewolves, or whatever the creature usually becomes like a second population, that is fed invaders (and in some cases unicorns) to give them names.

So what are your favorites?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Domesticated creatures.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:38:41 pm »

Tigermen.  I buy them from elves and liberate them all, allowing them to live out their lives socializing in the main hall with the dwarves.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:39:10 pm »

I keep meaning to see if I can make elephant cheese.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »

I have heard described many forts where one particular creature would become tied to the forts populace, Be it Giant eagles, cave crocodiles, werewolves, or whatever the creature usually becomes like a second population, that is fed invaders (and in some cases unicorns) to give them names.

I dunno if this is what you mean, but i bought a few bears into my fort and now have like 40-50 of them with numbers increasing rapidly.
My personal favorites were my three dragons that i was trying to get to make babies in my old 40d fort. no success. dunno if possible.

Breeding FBs might be fun, getting randomly generated FB-babies.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:50:06 pm »

I dunno if this is what you mean, but i bought a few bears into my fort and now have like 40-50 of them with numbers increasing rapidly.
My personal favorites were my three dragons that i was trying to get to make babies in my old 40d fort. no success. dunno if possible.

Breeding FBs might be fun, getting randomly generated FB-babies.
Exactly, the sort of creatures that you end up either replacing war dogs with or, keep as a secret weapon. That breed and spread through your fort like cats.

Also breeding FBs What would happen if it had deadly blood, and you accidentally butchered it?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

pieisgoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 09:58:03 pm »

Cows. Cows are badass.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 10:00:36 pm »

Horses, mostly chained at my entrance, and if I'm on a desert embark, replace the horses with camels, preferably the two humped variety.
Both are the most vicious creatures I've chained up for watchdog position.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:35:22 pm »

melomel likes tigermen for their ability to become the mayor, elephants for their bloodthirsty nature, and raccoons/macaques for their ability to deter/detect thieves.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 10:41:37 pm »

Cows, because I can tell what gender they are when deciding to buy then or selecting which ones to assign to a chain.

And because they make milk which eventually turns into masterwork cheese roasts.

And for their haunting moos.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 10:54:38 pm »

Octopre. They're a common domesticated animals I modded into the game. They're like dogs in function, only octopuses, so they fit into the ocean theme of my forts. They serve as the main food source for my forts, so I'm quite fond of them. They can also serve as decent war animals, though I don't generally use them for that purpose.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 10:58:12 pm »

Definitely Elephants.

Pretty tough war animals and they make 80 million babies to butcher for tons of expensive meat/bones/ivory/etc.

it's a shame it takes so long for the little ones to grow up.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 12:19:20 am »

I modded unicorns in a 40d fortress to make them trainable without a dungeon master. War unicorns were badass, especially when I got the numbers up over 50.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 12:25:35 am »

I do a lot of arctic maps, and quite commonly have war walruses if I start close enough to an arctic ocean. Otherwise I usually replace my dogs with ice wolves and polar bears.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 12:36:37 am »

Wolves.
Because if I mod them to be trainable, they become War-Wolves.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 12:58:50 am »

Definately war giant eagles. I can just sit behind my fortress walls and let them fly out to kill the occasional goblin ambush.
Pages: [1] 2