Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: GCS SCIENCE "it blinded me with SCIENCE!"  (Read 9910 times)

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GCS SCIENCE "it blinded me with SCIENCE!"
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 01:50:20 pm »

thnx everyone for the comments and testing ^^, after some thought i think i should have mentioned the draw bridge control system to stop from getting TO much FUN stuff, and if Drawbridges are destroyable i may have an alternate idea.
         d
         t         
wwwwtwwww
w              w
w   ddddd  w
w   dFFFd   w
w   dFSFd   pd
w   dFDFd   w
w   ddddd   w
w              w
wwwwtwwww
        t
        b       
w=wall
D=Door
d=drawbridge
f=Fortifactions
d=door/flood gate/ something to block the spiders Line of site
t=tunnel to caverns and/or outside
p=path to fortress

Replace all door with small 2x3/4 and install a 1x2 drawbridge in the tunnels. Use a smaller drawbridge so that in case of overflow you can still have a chance of raising the drawbridge if timed right when facing multiple FB

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 02:09:00 pm »

Why do I have the feeling that everyone is ignoring me?
Your idea is nice Devonus, but I think I already found a neat design that works (tested)

w= wall
D= door
F= fortifaction
S= possible position of one/several GCS (It may be noted that this place was also a meeting hall)
c= cage traps

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
w                       SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS w
w wwwwwwwwwwFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFw
w     D               DccccccccccDcccccccccccccc<<<Here they come in
wwww      wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwww      wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

This worked well, I catched some clowns with it.
The doors between the traps are just preventing your dorfs from walking in, they normally don't stop FBs.
Normally.
My demons glitched out and went idling until my mechanic wanted to reload the traps.

You can use my layout if you want.
You can see it there:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just don't make it your main entrance, or else you will end with many caged dwarves :p

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 02:48:43 pm »

lol, i may use your desighn in the future, however your desighn was also largely based on large numbers of trained GCS, which in truth i doubt i'll have (gcs are not tameable normally without modding are they?) so instead this desighn is namely to be used with UNtamed gcs (bc i like to play by the rules for the most part)

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 03:50:47 pm »

lol, i may use your desighn in the future, however your desighn was also largely based on large numbers of trained GCS, which in truth i doubt i'll have (gcs are not tameable normally without modding are they?) so instead this desighn is namely to be used with UNtamed gcs (bc i like to play by the rules for the most part)
They are tameable, but not trainable, you can train them with the dungeon noble.
I made them able to be bought at embark, for a VERY low price (2 for war giant cave spiders :D )

I don't know if this works with untamed ones, they would try to smash the door (can they?), shoot at your dwarves, and I don't know if they shoot at FBs or at demons at all.

You can this a "short cut" for each and all underground creatures, by restricting it and making a longer corridor around it, so your dwarves won't path through it when the GCS isn't tamed.

Also, I am kinda dissappointed that most of the community isn't interrested in the Fun of catching FBs or demons.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 04:34:15 pm »

I haven't encountered a GCS in 31.0x, but in 40d, they needed to be able to path to their target before they'd fire. This was generally accomplished with a pet-impassable door. In your diagram, the pet-impassable door would replace a fortification.

I know the pet-impassable door made GCS farms of this type work in 40d, so you can try them in 31.0x.

Is the web throwing rule the same for dragonfire or imp firebreath? If so then in theory the dragonfire pillbox should work :p

Maybe it's the same as with dorfs. If a beast decides to jump away as evasion of incoming attack, it can end up in a trap, or it can be pushed/bounced etc. Might work with dragon in fortification cage spitting fire at FBs standing over traps too?
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 04:56:39 pm »

I haven't encountered a GCS in 31.0x, but in 40d, they needed to be able to path to their target before they'd fire. This was generally accomplished with a pet-impassable door. In your diagram, the pet-impassable door would replace a fortification.

I know the pet-impassable door made GCS farms of this type work in 40d, so you can try them in 31.0x.

Is the web throwing rule the same for dragonfire or imp firebreath? If so then in theory the dragonfire pillbox should work :p

Maybe it's the same as with dorfs. If a beast decides to jump away as evasion of incoming attack, it can end up in a trap, or it can be pushed/bounced etc. Might work with dragon in fortification cage spitting fire at FBs standing over traps too?

I can test that now, if you want.

For now, the results of my tests are:
1:Dragonfire/fiends of flame remove/melt cage traps and according cages.
2:Dragons are a good defense against HFS, when your dwarves are not standing in their way. Mine did.
3:Even dragons are not invulnerable to poisonous blood.
4:Not caught demons due to disappearing of the cage traps.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:47:04 pm by niggy »

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 05:46:02 pm »

i think he mainly just wanted to melt/burn some things. and as far as the "untamed" hazard to my dorfs thats why the drawbridges are there to block it from shooting them, as far as destroying doors GCS are only building destroyer 1, so as long as the door is stone its fine.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:47:46 pm by Devonus »

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 05:49:17 pm »

Oh yeah, I tested if dragonfire makes enemies go into cage traps.

I just found out that fire removes cage traps :D

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 05:52:13 pm »

well, you would assume wood+fire=Ash, but still good to know for sure ^^

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 06:08:30 pm »

Try it with metal/glass cages, then?

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 06:09:05 pm »

The cages were made of copper (bought at embark), the mechanics for the cage traps were made by the stones I found everywhere.

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 06:41:05 pm »

hmmm ok, *checks wiki* is all metal magma safe? if not mayhaps a magma safe cage would withstand the fire breath.

*Copper is not listed as magma safe

** according to the wiki, bronzes melting point is 11868 Urist, as magma burns at 12,000 Urist, i beleive its safe to assume that dragon fire (which can melt bronze collosus) is at least 11868, which is dam close to the melting point, also after further looking copper's melting point is 11952, so i thin its safe to assume that dragon fire burns at at LEAST 11952, i beleive further testing with various magma safe cages is in order.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:54:09 pm by Devonus »

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 06:49:08 pm »

Hm, nickel is magma safe, and can be bought at embark.
For the next embark, I better add firesafeness to dorfs, too :D

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 05:01:14 am »

If you want to test all this out, you can just give dwarves the webbing of GCS or the dragonfire of dragons. Easier then bothering with trying to tame animals and get them to shoot, since you can arm the dwarves with crossbows and position them as squads.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 09:18:38 am »

If creatures need to find a path in order to fire it means you can get rid of most of the doors and replace them with a openable bridge/floodgate that blocks the road.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.
Pages: 1 [2] 3