Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [DF 2010 31.12] Wild World Mod - Beta Release version 0.2  (Read 3090 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
[DF 2010 31.12] Wild World Mod - Beta Release version 0.2
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:18:42 pm »

Hello!  This is my first attempt at releasing one of my mods, so I hope you'll bear with me!

Wild World
An unknown tragedy struck the races of the world...
The world used to have great civilizations...the dwarves in their stone mountain halls, the elves in their forest retreats, the humans in their sprawling plains cities...great wonders were told of these mighty civilizations.  Sprawling empires, great wars, and riches beyond measures.  But all these mighty races fell.  The cause was uncertain.  Was it a curse brought upon by their mighty works and greed?  Was it a disease?  A disaster they could not handle?  Sadly, the tale is fractured, and lost to time.

In the wake of their disastrous fall, a new presence has taken up civilization in their stead.  The faithful pets of these civilizations, having learned their words and ways by being their servants for centuries, have learned to speak and work their former master's inventions.  Cats who hunted vermin now carve masterpieces, dogs who protected the home now build the homes, horses who carried people faithfully now carry only their own belongings.  Some of these domestic creatures passed on their knowledge to the wilds, and so, civilization comes again.

Mod Goals:
This mod will eventually eliminate all humanoids from the game.  You will play as various domestic animals who have learned to speak, such as cats and dogs.  These are no anthromorphic beings, just normal animals who have mastered the use of speech and tools and the use of the GRASP tag. in their mouths.  Weapons have been reduced in quality and armor in size, due to the limitations of working with only mouths and clumsy paws and hooves.  Toys will be race-specific, and so will a good deal of clothes.  Various animal appearances and body parts will also be reworked to be a little more realistic.  The plant and food industry will also be rehauled to reflect animal preferences - no more underground mushrooms.  Eventually, all races will be playable.
Mod Goals SUmmarized:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Races:
Cats:
The main race being worked on.  This clever carnivores were the first to develop speech and learn the ways of their former masters.  They are a proud race, aloof and quick with words, although these words are not necessarily truthful.  They are small, but reproduce quickly to field large armies.  They are not necessarily courageous, for they believe in running away to fight another day, but they are extremely clever and have mastered avoiding traps and picking locks.  Their stealth is unmatched, and many of their enemies will not realize they have arrived until the first one jumps from ambush.  They have excellent focus, agility, and spatial sense, but have poor memory and are weak and frail in comparison to other races.  They build cities mainly in scrubland and forests, using the plant cover for camouflage.
Cat Specifics:

Dogs:
When their masters passed away, dogs gathered together in their packs and began choosing leader among themselves.  They are loyal and righteous, and treat treason very seriously.  They vary greatly in size and function, but all share the same traits.  They live on the open plains where they can run down their prey easily.
Dog specifics:

Snakes:
A race that was taught by the cats to speak, as they hunted the same foods.  Despite having no legs like the mammals, snakes have used their cunning and their strong bite to raise fortresses.  They're a mysterious race, calculating and cold-blooded, although not strictly evil.  It is just very hard for a mammal to tell what goes on in their minds.
Snake Specifics:

Squirrels:
A hyperactive race that has not yet truly mastered being civilized.  Nervous and fidgety, they only vocalize strange chatters and steal from the other races with higher technology.  They are natural prey of the snakes, cats, and dogs, and so are hunted without remorse.
Squirrel Specifics:

More races to come.

Changelog:

Download:
Here
Please read the file description for warnings and installation instructions.

Known Issues/Bugs:

Future Changes:

Thank you, all suggestions welcome for future improvements!  This is a beta release, so only cats are playable, dogs are just controllable as adventurers and form societies, and elves such have not been taken out yet.  Please play it and give me some feedback, and report any issues. :)

Custom cat language is thanks to Frogwarrior in his previous Catsplosion mod for 40d.  Language created with Mephansteras' DF Word Generator, found here.  More languages needed for animals!  I can't get Perl working myself on my comp because I am programming-illiterate, so any help towards this would be appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:56:35 am by Clover Magic »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 2010 31.12] Wild World Mod - Beta Release version 0.1
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:25:58 pm »

Fixed up dogs to be playable, have added snakes

Oh god the snakes are taking over everything.

A new version with snakes and dogs as playable will be released once I work out why the snakes have built continent-spanning empires for no discernible reason.  Oh, yes, and their bite is poison.

Next project will be horses and separating the raws to be compatible with other mods.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:02:23 pm »

It's a very interesting idea. I look forward to seeing the mode when it's finished.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:52:14 am »

Sadly, the tale is fractured, and lost to time.

Posting to follow. Have you seen Nix's cat-people sprites? I guess he must be working on something similar.

-Eventual races are planned to be cats, dogs, snakes, horses, squirrels, giant eagles, and unicorns.
Oh Armok.... Giant Eagles.... flying....everywhere.
And I bet Unicorns are all uppity and "holier-than-thou".
Why squirrels, though? They're, you know.... tree rats.

Sometimes, I wish DF had full, 3d graphics support. This....
These are no anthromorphic beings, just normal animals who have mastered the use of speech and tools and the use of the GRASP tag. in their mouths.
.... is one of those times.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 11:03:33 am »

Foamy - Thank you!  Work is proceeding nicely, I hope everyone enjoys it!

existent - Hey!  I did see Nix's cat people, they were part of the inspiration.  Another was an old mod for 40d called Catsplosion.  I liked his sprites, but they walk on two legs, while my cats remain on all four.

Of course squirrels are tree rats, that's why they can't really talk and steal your stuff. ;)  They're this game's kobolds.  Unicorns are indeed uppity, and giant eagles will be sort of like dwarves, a proud race living in the high mountains.  I wanted just enough of a similar game mechanic society wise (as of right now the three races I have don't go to war much.  New races and a few changes to ethics should change that.)

And that is why I did it, because the idea of cats digging a hole in the ground with a shovel in their mouths is quite possibly the best thing ever.  Pro-tip: don't use shields.  None of the races will be able to make them, and it prevents holding a weapon.  They would only be able to bash enemies with the shield to death.  ....Of course, that might be worth it to see. XD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:11:22 am »

Removing shields from entities doesn't work very well. The game just assigns them random ones. You can normally get around this by creating a dummy item of sorts to placehold the shield(s), but in this case doing so might be a little tricky.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:20:51 am »

No way should you remove shields! Leave 'em in. Think about it- you would have dedicated shieldcats. These are warriors who only carry a shield. Their Pincushion squad fights where no others would dare.

Squad Pincushion charges into battle, getting up close and personal with the Squirrel archers. Squad Fightanotherday, on the other hand, just shoots crossbows from behind a fortification.

On that thought, will squirrels even be big enough to use weapons?

I imagine they'd have to have their own custom weapons, eh?

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:27:34 am »

New version uploaded!  Dogs and snakes now exist and should be playable.  Snakes have no legs but do have a poisonous bite.  Be aware.

This is now compatible with other mods!  Feel free to place them in.  There is one or two files that are still default, however, be careful if other mods use them.  This will be fixed in an upcoming version.

Follow the download link in the first post to download. :)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 11:30:24 am »

3 - I see.  Hmmn.  I will have to play around with it.

existent - Pfft. XD  Well, apparently they might still have shields, so feel free to make a squad of shieldcats!  Also, all weapons in this game are pretty tiny.  It's just a placeholder for now, eventually races will get more specific ones.

Forgot to mention in the release, squirrels are also in, should work as kobolds, not sure.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 11:31:37 am »

Follow the download link in the first post to download. :)
You might want to clean up that post a little. Since you've got the first two posts, you can split things up between the two of them.

Check out what I did for WotR, or what Deon did for Genesis to get a good idea of what I mean.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 11:43:59 am »

I'll definitely do a little cleaning up later.  Most of the entries need a good deal of expansion and trimming, anyways.  :)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
Re: [DF 2010 31.12] Wild World Mod - Beta Release version 0.2
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 08:21:17 pm »

Cool mod idea! Nix's Catti sprites may be useful to you? :D

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:27 pm »

Great concept, will look forward to this getting a bit further along

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 08:04:19 am »

WormSlayer - I love his little cat sprites!  However, mine don't walk on two legs, so they wouldn't be accurate.  I may try my own set of tiles for those with graphics...if I can learn how. XD  Graphics always confused me.

Tilla - thanks!

Progress: Fixed duplicate tags that caused snakes to have two tails they walked on like Bellsprouts.  They now only have one.  Also fixed other duplicate entries in my own files that resulted in being able to take "unknown plant substance" on embark.  Whoops.  An update should be later today, as I plan to introduce the rest of the races.

Also, the medical care system is hilarious.  Cats stitching each other up with their mouths is a great mental image.  Currently a miner in my testing fort has been unconscious for three months and in treatment the whole time for three busted legs, a broken rib, and a cracked skull.  How he survived with no brain injuries I'll never know.

I also think my tongue is working properly.  Cats have been cleaning things, but not themselves, and they don't look dirty.  Hopefully that means it -is- working properly and your cats will need no baths.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 09:04:16 pm »

Haven't tried it out yet, but I'm looking forward to it.  I was redirected from the cat _only_ mod, and they said this was the "updated" version, so to speak.  I'm looking forward to the amazing mental images from this.
Pages: [1] 2