Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking; Where is the fun at?  (Read 559 times)

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarking; Where is the fun at?
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:29:37 am »

This problem might just be a direct relation to my FPS (very low with my 101 Dorfs), but I seem to be missing out on a lot of fun... I've embarked in a haunted region, with the only real enemies being the normal Gobbos and FBs. Recently lost one of my legendary miners (original 7) and the only Dorf to grow from child to adult within my fortress to an ill planned excavation. Other than that nobody has died, on year three, almost four. I have had a few goblins show up but it was just some snatchers and two simultaneous ambushes of which the majority were caged and executed, the rest slaughtered by my outstanding military program.

The questions are; When will I look to abandoning my fort, if the fun doesn't pick up? Is there a minimum population for sieges? Also, where should I embark to have lots of undead and other crazy stuff around all the time for lots of fun? Haunted seems like a pretty tame region.

P.S. I did just remember there are two forgotten beasts in cavern 3, a humanoid made of steam with wings and a three eyed two tailed scorpion. Guess it's time to go try to do something with them... And have some sort of mass suicide to boost my FPS.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking; Where is the fun at?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:39:31 am »

You just have to make the game more challenging for yourself. Like embarking on a terrifying biome and building and above ground fort. Or refusing to wall off your caverns, relying on your military and traps to protect you.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 12:30:59 pm »

also, High savagery, and nearness to a goblin town, imo.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 12:35:00 pm »

The questions are; When will I look to abandoning my fort, if the fun doesn't pick up? Is there a minimum population for sieges?
I believe sieges are related to fortress value. I think (a guesstimate) that I get at least around one siege per one million increase in fortress value.
Especially if you locate a new adamantium strain, prepare for a siege. Or, in my case, if you refused to become a barony of the old king.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.