Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hardcore Babies: Dwarven Edition  (Read 3583 times)

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
Hardcore Babies: Dwarven Edition
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:08:04 am »

I swear to god, babies are hardcore.

My woodworker randomly crapped out a baby while making cages. The baby, immediately after being born, took off. The mother followed it only for it to make a U-turn, throwing her off. It then ran down 30 flights of stairs to the metal workshops and climbed into the magma forge before the mother caught up and extracted it.

The baby attempted to jump in magma. Hardcore.
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore Babies: Dwarven Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:46:09 am »

In my third or fourth fort, one of my legendary miners had a baby, and then that baby immediately claimed a masons workshop and got to work one something. He made a really cool artifact which I can't really remember, but it was a chair and had all kinds of shit and metal all over it. He was a legendary mason at like, three days. Then later, when he was a kid, I used Dwarf Therapist and enabled labor on him and I made him a weaponsmith, and then later he became legendary in that and when he was all grown up I made him into a hammerdwarf, and he slaughtered 3 megabeasts all by himself. Although they weren't the strongest megabeasts, it was still quite an accomplishment.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:49:37 am by Repulsion »
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:36:13 pm »

I also had a baby pop out of the oven and almost immediately craft a 77k artifact (I think it was actually a toy).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:28:49 pm »

Dwarven babies are like Mindy or Baby Herman - unless clinging directly to their mother like the child of an ape, they will walk directly into the nearest pit or dangerous situation to commit suicide, and only some kind of quick rescue by a caretaker will save them.

This is presumably to get rid of babies that have no mother, but obviously, if the mother fails to pick one up, the code can kick in prematurely.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 04:16:57 pm »

I guess the womb wasn't warm enough for him. Time to move!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 05:07:55 pm »

In my third or fourth fort, one of my legendary miners had a baby, and then that baby immediately claimed a masons workshop and got to work one something. He made a really cool artifact which I can't really remember, but it was a chair and had all kinds of shit and metal all over it. He was a legendary mason at like, three days. Then later, when he was a kid, I used Dwarf Therapist and enabled labor on him and I made him a weaponsmith, and then later he became legendary in that and when he was all grown up I made him into a hammerdwarf, and he slaughtered 3 megabeasts all by himself. Although they weren't the strongest megabeasts, it was still quite an accomplishment.

You sure that the father wasn't Armok himself? Only explanation I can think of for such awesome.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

rknewell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 06:53:03 pm »

Actually I've had orphaned babies wander around my fort, being periodically fed and watered by random dwarfs until they hit child status. Perhaps I didn't have any good suicide spots, although I usually use a patch of open magma for an incinerator...hmm.

The baby's father seemed completely unconcerned through all of this and completely ignored the child as far as I know.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:24:29 pm »

Actually I've had orphaned babies wander around my fort, being periodically fed and watered by random dwarfs until they hit child status. Perhaps I didn't have any good suicide spots, although I usually use a patch of open magma for an incinerator...hmm.

The baby's father seemed completely unconcerned through all of this and completely ignored the child as far as I know.

I had that, except it didn't seem like any of the dwarves were feeding him so much as he hung around in the statue garden drinking out of buckets of water. He ended up joining the military, but quickly tantrumed and killed the mayor, who was also his father.

Was a good fortress. 40d.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:13:05 am »

"Hey Urist, aren't you gonna do something about your kid?  I mean, I know that your wife died, but..."
"Nope.  Kids gotta learn somehow that magma ain't safe."
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 06:44:00 am »

Not exactly a hardcore baby thing, but apparently my militia commander wanted to get her new baby started on his military training early by bringing him into my 4x training spear trap room with her to train.

The baby, having no clothing, was promptly shredded into ribbons and sent dwarf blood flying all over the room.

Oddly, she is still ecstatic. Thinking poor little Rorod Grigfeb might have been an accident to begin with >.>
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 06:52:45 am »

I'm sure that this is very common, but I had one baby cling to her mother while the parent single handedly killed eighteen goblins and trolls.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Halykan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 07:51:12 am »

I'm sure that this is very common, but I had one baby cling to her mother while the parent single handedly killed eighteen goblins and trolls.

Dreadfully common - at least she didn't use the kid as a shield.
If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you
clicky

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 11:53:22 am »

Worth checking if the little tyke picked up any combat skills from seeing all that first hand...