Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Indestructidwarf  (Read 1313 times)

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
The Indestructidwarf
« on: August 20, 2010, 07:42:53 pm »

I was playing on a newer version of DF, I had just left a fortress and reclaimed it out of interest to see if there'd be any cavern monsters walking the corridors.

I was pretty unlucky: The very entrance to the caverns had a troll waiting for me. Before I could order my dwarves to safety, most of them charged the antagonizing attacker, alas it was all in vain, they had only their clothes and no combat experience at all, only one had an axe with him and even he couldn't effectively use it in battle.

It looked bleak for the Dwarves and I started to prepare myself for the worst before a lone wrestler broke from the unconcious group: Tisod The Unstoppable

At first I chuckled. It seemed as if he had very little chance of beating such a monster in a one on one punchout. But like the impressive underdog he was he carried on, he demonstrated the Dwarven stubborness that is responsible for their ways of life, he took punch after punch endlessly for almost an hour and the best the Troll managed was a bruise on his left hand consistently, never could the Dwarf be overpowered, however, Tisod grew stronger and stronger, Rocky style, until eventually he could break that troll.

I was stunned to watch him damage the monster to the point the Troll seemed to just give up on life and run to the nearest trap, ending his tortured existance in one turn.

Problem, troll?  8)

( First part can be found here, I suppose you can click my name for the others: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2248-thedwarventank-partone )

Oddly enough. His stats were incredibly poor, but he had a sum of patience and had a good idea of the position of his own body.  ;D
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Indestructidwarf
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:52:49 pm »

1: Breach HFS
2: Move all dwarves to relative safety, except for him.
3: ???
4: PROFIT!!!
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:56:30 pm »

1:Make him a legendary Wrestler
2:Give him adamantine armor

3: Breach HFS
4: Move all dwarves to relative safety, except for him.
5: ???
6: PROFIT!!!

Fixed that for ya.  Though  now it's probably overkill.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:39:23 pm »

Hate to rain on your parade here, but from the brief glimpse of the combat log you gave us in appears that the troll tore the mitten off his previous victim and was trying to use it to kill Tisrod, but Tisrod's clothes deflected it.  Your dwarf isn't invincible, the troll was just dumb.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:05:16 pm »

Hate to rain on your parade here, but from the brief glimpse of the combat log you gave us in appears that the troll tore the mitten off his previous victim and was trying to use it to kill Tisrod, but Tisrod's clothes deflected it.  Your dwarf isn't invincible, the troll was just dumb.
Are you sure the Troll had the mitten the entire time? I only noticed it during the 4th video and even then, the dwarf was only getting damaged later on. Barely. I assumed the mitten was somehow from Tis', as he had left hand bruises alot ( And they were the only wounds, at least so I noted. )

EDIT: It would appear that it was indeed from another Dwarf according to the name.

Even if he did only win through sheer luck of the troll somehow taking the mitten from the very last victim, I'm still pleased with how long Tisod lasted. The size of the troll alone should of been enough, he should of been able to lock a limb or have smashed that Dwarf, I know a mitten could of reduced his combat skill dramatically but Tisod had only his clothes to protect him and he was a simple farmer with poor stats.

At least, Tisod was at least very lucky, he was the sole non-wounded dwarf from that attack and he had saved his kin, winning a battle with odds not at all in his favor.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:06:58 pm by Nerserus »
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:08:24 pm »

I've had creatures beat me to death with socks and similar in adventure mode, so they're not that big of a deal.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 11:15:12 pm »

Monsters, particularly ogres, can indeed beat people to death with mittens so it's not just the mitten that saved him.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 11:36:50 pm »

One time i decided to make one of my original seven dwarves have some Fun, so i ordered her to dig a series of channels straight down until she eventually landed in the caverns.  she fell ~3-4 z levels and ended up w/a red right leg and right arm.  after regaining consciousness, she harvested many plants, created a workshop for a bucket so she would not die of dehydration, then built staircases back up to my base.  all with the entire right side of her body unusable. 

Then the forgotten beast came (a flying enormous python with bat wings and deadly spit.) 

She promptly beat the beast to death in about three pick swings with no injury to herself.  She later died from the injuries sustained during her fall due to me having no healthcare system whatsoever.  But it was then i decided she was the most dwarfy dwarf i had ever had.

EDIT:  the point of this anecdote is that dwarf fortress seems to produce amazing dwarfs.  (See Cacame, the honorary dwarf-elf-king)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 11:41:38 pm »

One time i decided to make one of my original seven dwarves have some Fun, so i ordered her to dig a series of channels straight down until she eventually landed in the caverns.  she fell ~3-4 z levels and ended up w/a red right leg and right arm.  after regaining consciousness, she harvested many plants, created a workshop for a bucket so she would not die of dehydration, then built staircases back up to my base.  all with the entire right side of her body unusable. 

Then the forgotten beast came (a flying enormous python with bat wings and deadly spit.) 

She promptly beat the beast to death in about three pick swings with no injury to herself.  She later died from the injuries sustained during her fall due to me having no healthcare system whatsoever.  But it was then i decided she was the most dwarfy dwarf i had ever had.

EDIT:  the point of this anecdote is that dwarf fortress seems to produce amazing dwarfs.  (See Cacame, the honorary dwarf-elf-king)

That reminds me of the plight of the unkillable bookkeeper
Urist McGordonFreeman beat the crap out of three sieges without sustaining more than bruising, then tantrumed from losing his wife to a cave in. I'm not abandoning until he dies of something.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 12:03:18 am »

You damn well had better have created an enormous monument for her, and lost no less than twenty other dwarves in the process.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 01:08:44 am »

MITTENS.

MITTENS.

MITTENS!!

melomel cancels forum post:  melomel has entered a flashback!
melomel has gone berserk!

Yeah, intelligent humanoid entities keep forsaking their deadly natural weapons in favor of trying to kill your dorfs with (pigtail glove)s via their untrained misc. object user skill.

This has happened to me a lot.  I mean, A LOT.  With werewolves.  God damned werewolves.  If they kill someone, they rip a glove or a sock or pants off, and insist on using it as an improvised weapon.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 08:08:26 am »

i've got Bronze Colosii using Socks to try and Kill my Unarmed Weakling Dwarf

Turns out , the Bronze Colosii's Idea isn't Bright , it took more then a Year just to Bruise the Dwarf in the Hand , but the Dwarf didn't Do shit either

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 08:16:11 am »

Tisod still pwns though. Apparently he's expert armor user from being beaten by a mitten repeatedly.

Legendary observer too.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 08:25:05 am »

Tisod still pwns though. Apparently he's expert armor user from being beaten by a mitten repeatedly.

Legendary observer too.

New method of training armor skill: throw migrants at a troll until it steals a mitten.  Have recruits try to wrestle it wearing some form of metal armor.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 08:27:14 am »

Legendary observer too.

New method of training armor skill: throw migrants at a troll until it steals a mitten.  Have recruits try to wrestle it wearing some form of metal armor.

No no. You want leather clothes.

Tosid Likotmozir, Legend has grown attached to a hoary marmot leather dress. Yep.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:07:02 am by Nerserus »