Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved Mini Map  (Read 838 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improved Mini Map
« on: August 20, 2010, 01:08:04 pm »

With all the improvements to settlements, it seems like it might be useful to the players and testers alike to have an improved minimap for navigating settlements.

Right now, you've got a tiny corner of the screen with a map showing nearby buildings with a symbol.

The normal viewpoint is something like 100 feet, max, and the minimap is bigger, but is a not very detailed.

Imagine if, rather than a 10x10 minimap, you could pull up a seperate screen with a bigger map, with labels and everything.

Labels could be based similar to the legend information for beings and caves.  You'd be able to see building types from further away, but not the titles (I.E. 'Hut', but not 'Urist's Hut'), since it seems like that's the direction things are heading anyway.

ignore heights and terrain types, and just put rough outlines of buildings with numbered labels, googlemaps style (dynamic list of what's displayed.)

Doing that would let adventurers see the tower in the distance, as well as give a bigger view of what the town looks like for testing purposes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Mini Map
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:42:11 pm »

The fortress mode version of this was discussed with Baughn a little while ago in FotF:

Now there's an idea. To make the mini-map useful, we'd need procedurally generated "jumbo" tiles - squares covering more than one current tile.

The apparent solution to good TTF will require something like that anyway - no, it will not work very well in the next release, just hopefully well enough for modders to test tilesets - so I might as well make it a little more general.

No promises, it'd be extra work for toady, but it should be possible to have a mini-map that has a tile-per-pixel (or multiple-tiles-per-pixel) resolution instead of the way-too-many-tiles-per-tile we get now. I can at least try to make that possible.

Of course, something like this may be adaptable to adventure mode.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Mini Map
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:22:01 pm »

trying to put all the information into a scalable form is a lot more complicated than being able to generate maps of specific detail.

(I.E. rather than say which of the 64 tiles to use to represent an 8x8 square, just say 'building' or 'not building'.  Do a little cleverness with the scaling and origin, and you should be able to guarantee visible alleys and streets, too.