Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: tone down butchering  (Read 1359 times)

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tone down butchering
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 03:23:29 am »

I always assumed that dwarves were mostly ethanol powered, just eating meals for vitamins and minerals and such.   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 06:48:32 am »

Dwarves are smaller than humans, though. And they absorb nutrients through their beard.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 06:53:01 am »

What about my method for feeding the fort? I surround a 5x5 embark area with a 5 deep line of weapon traps all containing 10x serrated green glass disks. When anything wanders over them they, at the very least, get feet/legs chopped off and usually die outright or bleed to death soon after. Then my dwarves run out, grab the body, butcher it and we have meat. Huzzah!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 08:14:11 am »

Dwarves are smaller than humans, though. And they absorb nutrients through their beard.

Dwarves are 6/7ths the size of humans, which isn't that particularly big a difference.  Besides, medieval peasants probably ate more actual food than modern humans do, at least during the non-Winter months, as they needed a higher calorie diet for all the labor they constantly did. 

Also, dwarves don't absorb nutrients for their beards - female dwarves don't have beards, and that would make female dwarves vitamin-deficient.  The presence or lack of facial hair is the one sign of sexual dimorphism that exists in all of DF for any humanoid, meaning it has, at most, a function in attracting mates, if not for purely decorative purposes.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 08:23:32 am »

My female dwarves do have beards though..
Pages: 1 [2]