Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issues with channels and flooding  (Read 1201 times)

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Issues with channels and flooding
« on: November 12, 2006, 07:37:00 am »

Ok, I'm still pretty new at this, and my first attempt at farming I produces some absurdly noobish results:

I had piped some water up from the outside river (this I now know is a bug in itself but oh well) and accidentally lost containment on my farm when my dwarf looking to throw the switch decided to enter the flooded room to get to it.  Now, the rooms door was not connected directly into my main fortress so suddenly it flooded ALL OF THE OUTSIDE!!  Seriously, some limit should be made on a channel's ability to flood, seriously.  I mean if the river had that much water in it, wouldn't it have already flooded everything around?

The end result was 5 of my dwarves who were outside drowned, 1 remained happily making barrels in an enclosed part of my fortress, and other let water into the rest of my fortress drowning himself.  This was a permanent flood due to the fact that the flood reached the river again, and made the whole terrain unsuitable for dwarf life.  Go ahead, laugh at me, at the time I didn't know I could lock doors (didn't even realize they count as rooms)

Also, I would like to see in the future the ability to train dwarves in swimming maybe, or at the least give them safety floats that they can wear around their arms.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
Re: Issues with channels and flooding
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Chthon:
<STRONG>I had piped some water up from the outside river (this I now know is a bug in itself but oh well)</STRONG>

I don't see why it's a bug.

I have seen the ostensible explanation of why: water doesn't flow uphill.

But it's not even remotely clear to me why the channels that you dig from the river to the cliff are necessarily going "uphill".

The only thing that matters is the gradient of the channel's bottom.  

Unless the rise in altitude from the river to the cliff face is large enough that it's simply infeasible to have the channel be the necessary depth at the cliff face, the "uphill" argument doesn't seem to make sense.  And it's only, what, a couple dozen wagon lengths - let's say a football field - from the river to the cliff; there's no reason why this rise would necessarily be a significant issue.

And once you get to the cliff, height is no longer an issue at all.  The dwarves can excavate into the cliff at any height they want.  They could even excavate quickly downwards, below the level of the outside river.  That would be a phenomenally bad idea, but they could do it.  

More realistically, they could excavate such that the floor of their antechamber is several feet above river level, protecting against floods, but still allowing moats and such.

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 04:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chthon:
<STRONG>...at the least give them safety floats that they can wear around their arms.</STRONG>

We need this added to the plans as a bloat! This is important! Most drowning fatalities occur because your guys aren't wearing the proper safety equipment, and not because Dwarves are actually denser than lead and are operating in confined underground spaces! The leather workers would produce these devices much like water skins, except they'd be carried empty and would be lung-inflatable in emergencies. Yes.

Really, though, your chances of making it out of a fast-flooding underground tunnel aren't good in general, no matter what you're up to, unless maybe you have scuba gear and a waterproof flashlight ready, and event then, a strong current would grind you into the walls/floor/ceiling, or you'd get disoriented or stuck on something and not be able to find your way out anyway.

As for infinite flooding, well, yes, that is an issue.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 02:50:00 am »

In the event of a flood, your Rock Throne can also be used as a flotation device.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 11:31:00 am »

only if its pumice.