Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Age" change in fortress mode? (40d) - Updated: ANOTHER change, same game  (Read 1448 times)

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile

I'm playing in 40d, a "no migrants" style game, and easily the longest running I've ever had.

Anyway, as I come to the end of the 20th year of my fortress, it pauses and pops up a window, much like finding magma/underground river/etc., and the message box says, "The Second Age of Heroes has begun."  I hit enter, and the next message (at the bottom of the screen, like normal) is that spring has arrived, the beginning of year 221.

I assume this has to do with world history (I've noticed ages when generating worlds but never really spent much time looking in history mode).

Is this normal?  It certainly seems very very rare, at least.

Oh, and I did open the clown car this past year, so I suppose it could have to do with that (never got around to opening one before).

Anyway, any comments or knowledge about this?  Not a big deal, just curious.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:58:54 am by deoxy »

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: "Age" change in fortress mode? (40d)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:06:47 am »

the Age is a result of the number of remaining megabeasts, I believe. You must have been on the border, and one died.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:41:16 am »

Did you kill a megabeast or two that year?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:46:27 am »

And yes, an age change is rare as a north pole penguin if you are not in adventure mode actively trying to make one happen, and even then it's still quite the feat.

Congratulations, if DF had achievements you would have just obtained one of the hardest, if not the hardest achievement.  You are now one of the elite few DFers that have caused an age change in fortress mode, you may have noticed the secret forum section appearing before your eyes.  It is beautiful is it not?  Now if only I could accomplish that...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:47:24 am »

It is more than the number of megabeasts. Age changes have many different factors.

One of his people becoming famous enough could have triggered it as well.

What was the age prior to the change? A Second age of heroes hints that it might have been something like the age of the demon or something.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:06:14 am »

yeah killing enough named stuff with enough different dwarfs will trigger an age of heros too
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 10:45:03 am »

Oddly, I haven't killed ANYTHING this past year - or in several years, actually.  I've started 2 threads about it now - no "hostile" forces of any kind in well over 10 years now (and I didn't kill much back then - about 30 orcs, total, a couple of named orcs from their civilization screen, a couple of kobolds, an ogre or 2... I think that's it).  I only opened the clown car for something to do, but I haven't actually killed anything in there yet (though there were several named prisoners who died in the months following opening it - that count?).

No megabeats, either.  Nothing.

I've got an ANIMAL kill list a mile long (over a thousand by now, I'd expect), but that doesn't really do anything, does it?

I did have an armorer who made an artifact platemail worth over 5 million dwarf-bucks.... that's pretty much it in terms of interesting stuff happening, though.

Very strange.  I may have to go check the history of the world later (I have a copy of the world from before I embarked on it).

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:43:00 pm »

I've triggered an age change in Fortress mode.

Well, that's where the pop up window appeared, anyway. It was related to unleashing hell in adventure mode, bringing the world back into a Second Age of Myth. My adventurer died down there, though, so I saw the window when I embarked. :3
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 03:57:26 pm »

I've changed it too. The key is to know why it is currently what it is, then remove its ability to be that.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 04:13:12 pm »

I've got an ANIMAL kill list a mile long (over a thousand by now, I'd expect), but that doesn't really do anything, does it?
If they include a good bunch of fanciful creatures, that may well be part of it. I'm pretty sure that those at least count for differentiating the Age of Fairy Tales and Age of Twilight and such.

And yeah, unleashing hell was an easy way to go to a new Age of Myth.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 04:15:57 pm »

I've changed it too. The key is to know why it is currently what it is, then remove its ability to be that.

The earlier ages are easier to end, of course.  Megabeasts come to you to get slaughtered.

Until we get the ability to send out armies and crush every last goblin, elf, and human city, root out every cave, and finally usher in the Golden Age of Dwarves, it's hard to do much that would either add new megabeasts, or affect the populations of other races very much.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 04:19:36 pm »

And yes, an age change is rare as a north pole penguin if you are not in adventure mode actively trying to make one happen, and even then it's still quite the feat.

Congratulations, if DF had achievements you would have just obtained one of the hardest, if not the hardest achievement.  You are now one of the elite few DFers that have caused an age change in fortress mode, you may have noticed the secret forum section appearing before your eyes.  It is beautiful is it not?  Now if only I could accomplish that...
What about getting the Age Of Loneliness, on normal worldgen settings?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 10:49:39 pm »

The earlier ages are easier to end, of course.  Megabeasts come to you to get slaughtered.

Until we get the ability to send out armies and crush every last goblin, elf, and human city, root out every cave, and finally usher in the Golden Age of Dwarves, it's hard to do much that would either add new megabeasts, or affect the populations of other races very much.

I disagree. You need to keep kobolds. Who else would clean up your trash for you?

You wouldn't make Dwarves do it, would you?

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 10:57:34 am »

And now, just the very next year, I get this: "The world has passed into The Second Golden Age."

I opened the pit last year but didn't kill anything, then I killed them this year.

Still no other enemies at all of any kind.  And no, I don't have any fanciful creatures in my kill list.

Strange.

lookmeat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 07:42:32 pm »

I've triggered an age change in Fortress mode.

Well, that's where the pop up window appeared, anyway. It was related to unleashing hell in adventure mode, bringing the world back into a Second Age of Myth. My adventurer died down there, though, so I saw the window when I embarked. :3

That just reminds me of Berserk, where the world was a pretty mundane, realistic medieval one, until various events begin with an outpour of demons into the world and later dragons and faries appearing...