Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: saddest moments?  (Read 2043 times)

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
saddest moments?
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:59:57 pm »

sorry if there is already a topic of this.

post your saddest moments in df that you have had.

mine is where my legendary fighter had just killed 6 frogmen and out of nowhere a bolt came flying and pierced his skull and his brain flew out and hit one of my dwarf children :( the child later became my engraver and engraved that terrible event, in quite good detail  :'(
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Zokinin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: saddest moments?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:25:06 pm »

This is an engraving of a Dwarven child and a brain. The brain is striking the child. The child is in the fetal position.

sinister agent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:28:44 pm »

Of the seven original founding dwarves, three survive a series of invasions and disasters.  One loses his wife and pets,a nd finally cracks.  He goes on a rampage, and kills one of his two surviving friends.

His other surviving friend is the one who comes up behind and brains him with a pick.

Poor guy lives through years of death and suffering, and finally has to kill his only friend in the world.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:34:57 pm »

It's a bit old, now, but I'd have to say writing up this tribue to the dead for a story fort I was doing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 04:36:56 pm »

Perhaps not an ingame event, but after finishing my 3300 Marble Block wall around the entire map I revealed to search for metal and saved.  15 FPS from then on, and it only went downhill from there!  I was sad. :(
Diggy diggy hole.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 06:38:03 pm »

Early on in one of my 40d forts a glassmaker made an artifact glass cage/terrarium.  I didn't think anything of it, just used it to store some animals while I worked on my semi-megaproject.   Eventually I turned in into an aquarium with some fish,  and put it in my dining hall.  I go to take a look at it, and I realize one of the dogs I kept in there died of old age, and it's body is in the tank for all to see.   

Actually, I thought it was funny at first, but then I remembered the episode of Futurama, "Jurassic Bark". :-[

Komnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:51:45 pm »

On one of my first forts, before I really knew anything about building defenses, I had a couple of goblin ambushes wipe out all but two of my dwarves.  One of them promptly went insane.  The other gradually began rebuilding the fort.  Then, to my shock and delight, some migrants arrived!  I began what I imagined to be an epic comeback, a return from the dead.  But then more goblins came, and they killed everybody this time.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 11:16:44 pm »

I was starting a new fort in a very hostile cursed zone.

Things were going ok and my dwarves managed to chase off most of the smaller hostile wildlife for the first few seasons. Then, as summer rolled around a flock of harpies descended on my fort and most of my dwarves panicked before I could get them inside. Things were looking very bleak for a while.

Then my expedition leader - not really a trained combatant - grabbed up an axe and it was the first time I've seen a dwarf enter a battle trance. She ran out and waded into the flock and bodies just started flying everywhere as she carved through them. One blow in particular send a harpy's corpse flying into a tree over 15 squares away, and the day was won without a death.  :)

But then the small cut on her arm from the battle grew infected, and all the water dried up in the summer heat, and just a few days before the next caravan arrived, she died from her infection.  :'(

The miners couldn't find any metal, any gems - nothing beneath that desolate place to warrant their continued efforts there. So they carved a single lavish tomb at the bottom of the fortress, buried their beloved leader there, and sealed the fortress behind them, never to return.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 12:30:16 am »

My saddest moment?  Just now:  I just finished building a pump stack needing 1600 power to make an undersea volcano erupt, half finished a huge windmill farm to power it, and my network started crapping out and kicked me out of the ssh session I'm using to log in and play dwarf fortress on.  I can log in with a new session, and see dwarf fortress is still running, but I cannot connect to it to save my game.  Whyyyyy-?  All that hard work down the drain.

(And I thought I had autosave on seasons turned on, but apparently the setting got lost when I upgraded DF last.)
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 03:05:52 am »

A few fortresses ago my fortress was attacked by an ambush, hopelessly my militia commander ran out to attack the goblins, he died almost instantly, then out of no where a recruit ran out and killed them ALL.  After I'd finished cleaning up the mess, I renamed him to "God of War" and put him in charge of his squad and made him the militia commander, unfortunately in the next ambush he was snuck up on while alone and away from the fort for some reason (chasing buzzards I think), and they jumped him and knocked him over and killed him.  After the ambush was destroyed I suspended all other projects and then built him a mighty tomb over my volcano, which I then dropped it into.  Then I abandoned.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 03:45:54 am »

The last fortress I had, there was a very big and wonderful family.

A dad, a mom, a son and 5 daughters.

I gave them an amazing bedroom, made with gold and steel. I had the mom take no jobs, so she could stay home and care for the children, and the dad happened to be in the military.

One day i was attacked, so i sent squad A to defend the fortress. 2 dwarfs died. both were friends of the father.

This really upset the father, who had to vent his anger to the mayor. He tried to find the mayor.. but he was on break, sleeping.. and was also my broker at the time...

The father could not take it anymore.. so just before going to bed... I heard screaming from this family's home...

The father went into a fit of rage, and killed two of his daughters! The mother watched in horror as she drank herself to sleep.

After the father was done, and before he was brutally executed by the guards.. he went to sleep peacefully.. with the blood stains of his family... completely ignoring the mothers rampage through out the fortress.. the guards felt she needed to be punished too.. so they made her a vegetable.. who was now sleeping in a random bed.. unable to sense anything, feel anything.. unable to move...

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 04:20:55 am »

Perhaps not an ingame event, but after finishing my 3300 Marble Block wall around the entire map I revealed to search for metal and saved.  15 FPS from then on, and it only went downhill from there!  I was sad. :(
3300?  Ha Ha Ha!  Try 18,000.

Check my signature for info on it.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 05:10:49 am »

When my carpenter went insane because he didn't get the stuff for an artifact in time,his 2 friends were in the military and were ordered to kill him,they did and went insane.  :'(

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 05:27:25 am »

Playing 40d I had a woodcutter get devastated by a werewolf.  He sat in a bed i placed near the entrance of the fortress for years nearly dying of thirst and hunger several times, though i never moved the bed.  Finally after many migrant waves and many caravans he decided to wake up just as a goblin thief strolled by;  he got stabbed by the thief and had to go back in the bed.  I never saw him recover after that, poor guy.

Yuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 07:13:30 am »

Back in 40d after a tantrum spiral caused by lots of deaths caused by a goblin siege. Almost all the dwarves die. The last sane dwarf is killed by the last berzerk dwarf who is then in turn killed by the last...... child.
This child goes on to survive by himself for a few months while i wait for immigrants to arrive and build a proper palace for him.
The child that watched his entire family die brutally, killed at least one of his own friends to survive the aftermath, and waded through all their corpses for months after it was all over, was kidnapped by a goblin snatcher before the next migrant wave.
Game Over.
Pages: [1] 2