Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2096369 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13875 on: October 13, 2018, 05:24:50 pm »

Do I have to go into the EU4 thread to continue reading about this story?

I'd love to read about in a seperate story in the subforum!
I'm tempted to make another thread, but I'll have to wait and see if I will actually be playing at all first. The other two players got together and agreed that I should be dismembered with console commands before the game begins, I am subsequently arguing rather fervently in defence of glorious Hellenism. There is a significant chance either I'm going to be kicked, or the British player will quit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13876 on: October 13, 2018, 05:50:42 pm »

Do I have to go into the EU4 thread to continue reading about this story?

I'd love to read about in a seperate story in the subforum!
I'm tempted to make another thread, but I'll have to wait and see if I will actually be playing at all first. The other two players got together and agreed that I should be dismembered with console commands before the game begins, I am subsequently arguing rather fervently in defence of glorious Hellenism. There is a significant chance either I'm going to be kicked, or the British player will quit.

Seems like they’re throwing their toys out the pram there; they hit you with their haymaker and you dusted yourself off and kept going.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13877 on: October 13, 2018, 07:14:44 pm »

Seems like they’re throwing their toys out the pram there; they hit you with their haymaker and you dusted yourself off and kept going.
Yeah I'm not having much fun playing this with them, they're running it largely as an incredibly long set-up to a game of Hoi4, not as a campaign which matters at all. Some of the solutions they offered me were dismemberment in the name of fun, that way any time one of them became more powerful they would be dismembered to reach parity with the others. At which point, why even bother playing? And if I had lost, would they have reduced themselves to 8 counties each? Hell no. Another was that I keep my land and never, ever expand. So I wouldn't get to spread Greek culture. Another was of course dismemberment, which would mean that I wouldn't be powerful enough to waste all my diplo points on culture spread, and would instead have to actually compete with the Germans and Britons, forcing me to employ a competitive playstyle instead of my sillier roleplay ones... In the name of fun. Managed to argue to a stalemate where they both agreed that I could do whatever as long as the Britons got North & South America and I dissolved my Empire, which was my original suggestion to begin with.

At this point I don't think they're going to concede defeat and let me play as the Commonwealth of Man, so I'm just going to move my capital to Tibet, carve up all of my lands between various Greek warlords and let them all go. I'll just turn Tibet into Greek Switzerland on steroids and let the British and Germans fight for who gets the UN until the game moves to Hoi4 (which I've played none of and they've played loads lol), where it is apparent I don't stand a chance, because as part of the rules I cannot win until I'm in Hoi4, but I cannot be allowed into Hoi4 with any advantages gained from the actual paradox games I've played before. I'm pretty certain if I dismantled the British Empire-German Empire using my strengths the British would quit, because I am not supposed to use overwhelming material quantity versus the players with Prussian and British ideas.
Against such madness one can only retreat to the Himalayas to study astronomy. At least while the games run I will have suitable reading material: I found some ancient history books from 1788 which are so old they still call the Byzantine Empire the Roman Empire. Can't think of a better time to finally finish reading them ;D

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13878 on: October 13, 2018, 07:39:53 pm »

Meanwhile in my byzantine Roman Empire my Basileus died for no reason whatsofucking ever at the age of 29. Apparently he had "poor health".

This of course caused the empire to go bananas as his 3 yo son got -100 with every vassal for having too much desmene and old fucks kept dying for good reasons and giving me their duchies, which are an extra -10 each and my council hated me too much to even let me grant things to their own members. I managed to finish the war and then gave in to the faction that wanted to install my uncle (who was 2 years older than me) as a replacement.

Sucks that the people you're playing with are all like "pro mlg balance haxors" who only care about Hoi4. Hoi is the least interesting out of all the pdx games IMO, and you lose what fun there is entirely if you use the converter (thus deleting every interesting focus tree in the game in favour of "go fascist and start snowballing" simulator 2016)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13879 on: October 13, 2018, 08:04:21 pm »

Yeah, in retrospect if you knew these guys mostly play HoI4, you probably should have been suspicious about what kind of players they were. I think it's the only one of the mainline Paradox games where there's no reason you'd want to play it over its predecessor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13880 on: October 13, 2018, 08:05:44 pm »

Sucks that the people you're playing with are all like "pro mlg balance haxors" who only care about Hoi4. Hoi is the least interesting out of all the pdx games IMO, and you lose what fun there is entirely if you use the converter (thus deleting every interesting focus tree in the game in favour of "go fascist and start snowballing" simulator 2016)
I probably should have expected this after they justified conquering lands in CKII by talking about how much Iron it would give them in Hoi4, or with the eagerness they took the Azores & Iceland to immediately colonise :/
What fills me with less hope is that you're meme'ing, but the first advice they gave me was to end VicII as fascist so I can snowball in Hoi4...

I've got two other friends who would have used their Prussian and British strengths to give me absolute hell, utilizing localized superiority and the Russian diplomatic pivot to fuck me up from Eu4 to VicII, but their work schedules IRL are hellishly incompatible with mine. I don't want to press the point with them further because I do treasure our acquaintance but good Lord, there is no imagination at work, no lateral strategic planning going on. They will have the extended wealth of at least Italy, Germany, Poland, the Benelux, the Baltics, Scandinavia, France, Britain, North & South America, Africa at their fingertips and their grand strategy from EU4 to VicII to Hoi4 is to use console commands so that I have the same number of troops as the Prussian army and the same number of ships as the British navy. It makes them so transparently invincible that I can't believe they actually argue that to me under the pretence of competition :[

The more I think about it the less I even want to continue

*EDIT
I may do my homework. Git gud at Hoi4 and play as Democratic Tibet. Confound the meta and give it my best shot regardless
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:11:12 pm by Loud Whispers »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13881 on: October 13, 2018, 08:25:09 pm »

If they wanted to play HoI4 then they probably should have played HoI4 from the beginning. What's the point of playing a grand campaign like that if you're only focused on the very last game in the link?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13882 on: October 13, 2018, 08:27:51 pm »

If they wanted to play HoI4 then they probably should have played HoI4 from the beginning. What's the point of playing a grand campaign like that if you're only focused on the very last game in the link?
I truly do not understand

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13883 on: October 13, 2018, 08:53:29 pm »

I truly do not understand
Probably they just wanted more stuff to add behind it, like building up the legend of your current character's ancestor. But like, you know, not wanting that to affect your current character's personality, possessions, origin, or build because you have those already.

In any case it sounds like your shenanigans are wasted on these powermongering philistines.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13884 on: October 13, 2018, 09:17:03 pm »

Yeah, it looks llke you are sort of wasting your time here, because "fun", to them is not actual proper fun, but just them winning.

I'd would've just walked away, but I don't know what kind of meatspace relation you got with the duo.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13885 on: October 13, 2018, 09:44:00 pm »

I mean you guys may be being a bit too harsh. Competitive play isn't necessarily an invalid way to have fun. And salt isn't a good look for anyone, but it does make sense to be intimidated in this situation.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13886 on: October 14, 2018, 07:46:09 am »

It makes cows want to lick you though, so that's a plus
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13887 on: October 14, 2018, 02:57:07 pm »

I've made a deal with the devil which will soon absolve me of my situation

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13888 on: October 14, 2018, 04:17:56 pm »

Go on then, don't make us all curious and leave it at that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13889 on: October 14, 2018, 05:40:19 pm »

Go on then, don't make us all curious and leave it at that.
In rather anticlimatic fashion I got screwed over by technical issues. Failed to resolve checksum issues which ended in blue screen of death, meaning I couldn't even do anything - which is a shame. I had planned a grand soliloquy about letting loose the hounds of war and reigning in Hell whilst flooding Germany with Greek soldiers as a grand sendoff, but it seems I won't get that chance
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 1002