Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2096263 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13785 on: September 26, 2018, 09:04:36 am »

English has a lot of assimilated loanwords, true. But the structure and phonology are Germanic. Kinda like Yiddish is Germanic despite all the Hebrew and Arameic words.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13786 on: September 26, 2018, 10:48:21 am »

Assassinating him and sitting on his throne, no.  But if you take over China via war, by definition the emperor has lost the mandate of heaven.  Because how could anyone with the support of the gods lose?  In the case of natural disasters or a terrible ruler, some people might think that means he's lost the mandate and take it as an opportunity to rebel.  You don't actually know until you see if the rebels win tho.  Because if the emperor manages to defeat a rebellion, by definition the gods supported him over the rebels.  Whoever holds the throne deserves the throne, that's what the mandate means.  Its part of the Confucian ethic of loyalty and obedience. 
Under Confucianism, the only time you're supposed to rise up against your rulers is if they're terrible, not merely bad.  The mandate justifies this doctrine by providing a blanket explanation for why any ruler should be obeyed.
I think your focus on Confucius is also not necessarily totally right. Shi Huangdi himself was a legalist, after all.

As for China splintering, you're not wrong.  It gets down to definition of what "China" is, I guess.  Was China before the Three Kingdoms Period and after it, for example, the same continuous nation state that temporarily underwent civil war, or two separate things sharing a name?  I would count it as continuous but that's debatable.
The two aren't mutually exclusive, it's just a matter of how you look at it. They weren't one continuous nation (and the concept of nations didn't even exist in those days) but they were one continuous culture and region. But comparing a 3000 year old "China" to any European country doesn't make sense, "Europe" or "Christendom" are the analogue here, rather than any one realm.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13787 on: September 26, 2018, 08:58:25 pm »

@Descan: I dont think that's true. Mongols assimilated to Chinese culture because most nomad invaders largely assimilate to the places  they settle down. The same thing happened with the goths.. and the Normans too, who were French-assimilated peoples in the firsr place and in turn assimilated to English, Irish, and Scottish peoples
wai you @me bro

...it doesnt look like French at all to me :|  I've always seen English as a simplified German. It's specially obvious in Old English I think
Modern English is Germanic (or maybe more aptly 'Germanish,' since it's got a bunch of rules and 'rules' from Latin too) grammar with equal parts Latin, French, and Germanic vocabulary, with the rest (about a fourth) made of a smattering of global languages because empire.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:03:17 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13788 on: September 27, 2018, 07:06:33 am »

My Ironman Charlemagne run was cut short when Charlemagne got cancer 3 days into the game. Then, his physician cut his dick off not even 6 months into the game.

Get IN
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13789 on: September 27, 2018, 07:49:27 am »

My Ironman Charlemagne run was cut short when Charlemagne got cancer 3 days into the game. Then, his physician cut his dick off not even 6 months into the game.

Get IN
That's not a game over, given that Charles' got a brother with his own family.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: September 27, 2018, 07:57:19 am »

charlemanmagne
Love, scriver~

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13791 on: September 27, 2018, 08:50:12 am »

It might not have been, but I restarted anyway.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13792 on: September 27, 2018, 10:10:00 am »

Yeah, I always restart when I start as Charlemagne and shit happens. I don't start as Charlemagne to not be charlemagnificent.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: September 27, 2018, 10:37:31 am »

I can understand not wanting to lose Charles' Magne.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13794 on: September 28, 2018, 04:14:57 am »

Love, scriver~

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: September 28, 2018, 04:51:33 am »

That DLC went from a maybe on release to a solid yes with that.  Now I have to play a game with a randomized world layout, and somehow get those conditions and sack Rome.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13796 on: September 28, 2018, 05:15:02 am »

They did it, the absolute madmen. I’m not too interested in Hellenics, but nice of them to give the fans what they’ve always wanted.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13797 on: September 28, 2018, 05:32:08 am »

Is this the best dlc, or the bestest dlc?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: September 28, 2018, 05:48:59 am »

Honestly, I'm kinda worried about the lack of the release date: I hope it won't turn into Bannerlord problem/thingy.

That being said, I'll try to save me some money for this DLC. That's the kind of DLC I can get behind!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13799 on: September 28, 2018, 06:40:09 am »

Hello Hellenism?
This is getting better and better. I particularily like the Julian the Apostate flavor of that chain of events
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 1002