Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2096235 times)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13755 on: September 17, 2018, 05:45:37 pm »

I wonder if the "Battle Events" will count as a duel for the purposes of the trait. They seem like duels in all but name, but maybe the trait is looking for a slightly more orderly sort of fight...
I believe they said later in the thread that if you choose to enter a duel during the battle, that counts for duel count
At this point, the devs should just hire the guys behind the Game of Thrones mod. They keep taking ideas from them.
I am pretty sure they did for quite a few mods. I know the artist for the Warhammer mod is now on Paradox's payroll because the dev diaries about graphical stuff were by them.

snip
As far as I know the next update of Princes of Darkness is supposed to be based around that idea. The current version's 'buildings' are pretty much what you're describing. Stuff like "bribed sheriff, ghouled innkeeper, gargoyle lab", etc. No idea if the modern nights update is supposed to be district scale or the current 'major city+countryside' scale of the dark ages map.

welp... now to find time to try out that vampire and the warhammer fantasy mod.
was playing a lot of vermintide 2 in the last days so might give the warhammer one a go first, maybe as dark elves/vampires/tomb kings/slaneesh/tzench... hmm

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13756 on: September 21, 2018, 08:19:48 am »

Dev Diary #101 - Saints and Ancestors
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-101-saints-and-ancestors.1120419/

This DLC gets increasingly interesting. If they ever create CK3 it will be very difficult to compete with all the features of CK2.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #13757 on: September 21, 2018, 08:26:24 am »

Unless they decide to just include everything from CK2 off the bat, then it'll probably be... well, not great by comparison. Although, rather easier on the wallet than CK2 with all the big DLCs I imagine.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #13758 on: September 21, 2018, 09:24:17 am »

Its time for Saint Glitterhoof
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13759 on: September 21, 2018, 09:28:55 am »

so essentially new dlc is implementing features from HIP and other mods
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13760 on: September 21, 2018, 10:31:56 am »

Dev Diary #101 - Saints and Ancestors
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-101-saints-and-ancestors.1120419/

This DLC gets increasingly interesting. If they ever create CK3 it will be very difficult to compete with all the features of CK2.
Saints are already a feature that was cut in the transition from CK1 to CK2.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13761 on: September 21, 2018, 11:06:06 am »

If this is really the last big DLC for CKII this is one heck of a sendoff DLC!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13762 on: September 21, 2018, 12:35:52 pm »

I still hope for a bit more of content: proper landless, theocracies maybe...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13763 on: September 21, 2018, 12:49:01 pm »

Part of why they're running down DLCs for CK2 now is because they're basically 'running out of room' in the engine/architecture of CK2. It just wasn't designed with all the stuff and mechanics and modifications they've added over the years in mind.

Hopefully they learn from that and any CK3 they make is created with even more expandability in mind, and don't underestimate it. And just general flexibility in the code, both for dev coding and modder coding.

I mean, just for a start, using the Pope as a target for 'must happen' events and stuff means they can never get rid of the pope, he ALWAYS must exist, and also precludes enabling the player to play as the pope, even if they got around the whole 'dynasty' thing (I still support ideological 'dynasties' for making theocracies playable, personally, while still keeping in the spirit of CK2). Even if it makes zero sense for the pope to be around and still calling crusades (no catholics left, no catholic bishops, rome is pagan, the schism is mended, the fraticelli have taken over, etc etc etc) he *must* exist or several key mechanics in CK2 just break. I think they've been trying to migrate somethings to either non-target or to target someone else, but I think some things just aren't migrateable.

And also the way CK2 is coded makes it nearly impossible to have landless/holding-less characters playable, which I think is why Nomads are the way they are.

Not to mention the difficulties in adding China - personally I like the way they implemented it, but part of the reason they didn't just add in China in the first place is because of the trade-off was too big between having a realistic number of provinces for China and not blowing up the god-damn CPU in trying to run it. (beyond how European feudalism is too much of a stretch for the Chinese empires societal structure.

AND that also raises the point that part of why theocracies are not playable, besides the dynasty thing, is that CK2 gameplay is still fundamentally about a feudal structure of lord, vassal, and courtier. Theocracies are just not about that, and I don't think CK2's code (and gameplay) can handle a non-feudal structure for a player. Tribes are the closest to non-feudal and even then, you still have suzerain and vassal relationships. Republics are broken as much as they are because of how CK2 is so permeated by the assumption of feudal. Them adding specific governments rather than depending on capital holding helped fix a bit of it, but they're still fundamentally broken both on a gameplay level and on a buggy code level (I can't being to count how many times I've had a good republic game ruined because the game decided to revert me to feudalism due to buggy code, even with the addition of governments.)

So yeah, CK3 may not have as many mechanisms and such as CK2 at the start (that's a LOT of coding to front-end, almost 10 years worth of near constant development to package in 2-3 years for a new game?) but I should *HOPE* they at least think about all the things they added to CK2, and all the things they didn't add because of limitations, and all the things they did add but had to mutate to conform to CK2's basic assumptions, and make the code-base a LOT more flexible for future CK3 DLC and patches that do add them. Playable theocracies, inland republics, non-feudal based realms, playable non-land-holding characters (especially for republics, allowing more than 5 patricians and allowing them to migrate to different courts and republics as they historically did would benefit a lot from not requiring landed holdings, or the patrician manor) all these are things that the fundamental architecture of CK2 just doesn't allow.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:50:51 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13764 on: September 21, 2018, 01:22:07 pm »

there were a few patches where you could inherit the papacy and the game would continue

lemme tell you, the indulgences spam was REAL. every goddamn month there were dozens of messages from rulers donating money, requesting excommunications, etc

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13765 on: September 21, 2018, 01:25:13 pm »

Yeah, I've experienced that too. I don't remember how I got into the papacy, I just remember going, "Hey, what? Oh. This is pretty cool! *unpause* OH GOD WHY *reload save* So that's why playing the Pope is bad."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13766 on: September 21, 2018, 03:34:19 pm »

Is it possible to play as the pope and just literally excommunicate everyone?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13767 on: September 21, 2018, 03:42:26 pm »

With the right mods yes, but not normally.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13768 on: September 21, 2018, 03:49:29 pm »

Therebis also a couple of landless mods. You *can* play as landless. It's even half recognized in the engine.
Main problem is that said mods dont provide straightforward ways to request land from your liege or hire mercs.  But I dont think its impossible
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13769 on: September 21, 2018, 03:51:31 pm »

GoT-mod allows you to play as fake landless people, like Danaerys after Drogo dies.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1002