Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2095185 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13110 on: March 20, 2018, 11:42:12 am »

I went and started in 1066 because my friend wanted Krakow as capital and lo-and-behold, Krakow is capital in 1066. I've made a fair amount of progress against the pagans, but I also grabbed a province off of the rebelling duke of Nitra because screw Hungary (hilariously, my claim on that province fired seemingly the very day he rebelled, how convenient). Also, Azerbaijan rebelled and is an independent Armenian/Coptic state in the caucuses, which is hilarious to me.
Go pan-slavic and nab anywhere withing the slavic culture group.
There's going to be an element of that, for sure. Slovakia (even though Slovak isn't a culture, I know it's there and that's just gonna be good enough for me), already nabbed Pomerelia and Mecklenburg (sadly the HRE swooped in on half of Pomerania before I got to it, but thanks to a lovely claim I have coast all the way to Lubeck), Bohemia is definitely going to be included in the future, etc... But I'm not going to be solely pan-slavic: for example I intend on including all of the baltics (because why wouldn't I?). Pan-slavic tendency will be informing but not dictating my choices, is what I'll say.
Natural borders?  The answer is only natural: the Atlantic to the West, the Indian to the South, the Arctic to the North, and the Pacific to the East.  Poland may not into space, but Poland can into the CK2 map.
I think I'm going for slightly more restrained borders than that. :P I'm not a hyperblobber, and the aim is something not unlike the HRE. Just, you know, centered on Poland.

Ah, but in seriousness, many of Poland's vices and vicissitudes alike could be tied in part to the fact that it lacked natural borders in key directions, and thus its borders in the east and west relied almost entirely on the strength of the state.  When strong, it sprawled across everything in its area; when weak, it was sprawled upon.  If you want natural borders for a pan-Slavic state, it depends on when you set the game start.  In the 8th or 9th century starts, the Elbe is worthwhile to include the remains of the Wends/Obotrites and Sorbs.  In 1066, that border's already been pushed back to the Oder-Neisse and beyond, but there may be some merit in rolling it back.  The Baltic will likely be your northern anchor, and the Balts, while not Slavic, are small and weak.  The southern line might be the Carpathians, which are perhaps the oldest Polish border, but if you want the southern Slavs to join your mighty pan-Slavic state, then the Adriatic and Mediterranean are your best recourse, anchoring your western border either along the Leitha River (roughly between Hungary and Austria) or the a bit of the Austrian Alps up to the Bohemian Massif.  Especially in earlier starts, the Carpathian basin was poorly settled and semi-nomadic, seeing multiple migrations from eastern tribes (in game period the Avars, then the Magyars, then the Cumans).  East...heh, there's a reason why these borders were particularly fluid. The Daugava and Dneiper are an early natural border, with the gap between the two being a significant part of the reason Smolensk was considered the gateway to the east (or west), and that already puts you pretty far east: Kiev, the first Russian state, is on the Dneiper.  Further on, there's the Don and Volga, or the Volga and Dvina, or the Volga, Kama, and Pechora, or at that point, you may as well just run right up to the Ural Mountains and beyond. 
Hmm, you've given me a lot to consider, but I must remind that my goal is not only natural borders, but also glorious aesthetics as well. Still, it's food for thought...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13111 on: March 21, 2018, 01:35:11 am »

Full ma?

Regardless, I think you can choose a super early version in the game's steam options.
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13112 on: March 28, 2018, 10:32:24 pm »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13113 on: March 28, 2018, 10:39:28 pm »

Hell yeah, that's still my favorite mod.

I could go on for hours, just pretend I did.  It's all a drunk North Carolinian could ever dream.  Including wresting control of the East Coast not-HRE from Danville and enlightening the rest of the dead world.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13114 on: April 05, 2018, 02:28:20 pm »

Worth noting here as well, the base game of Crusader Kings II is free on Steam for a limited time, and all DLC besides Jade Dragon are 50% (JD is 33%). Notably, that's not a free weekend for CKII, but actually a free permanent copy of the game so long as you add it to your Steam library in the next two days.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13115 on: April 05, 2018, 04:28:25 pm »

Worth noting here as well, the base game of Crusader Kings II is free on Steam for a limited time, and all DLC besides Jade Dragon are 50% (JD is 33%). Notably, that's not a free weekend for CKII, but actually a free permanent copy of the game so long as you add it to your Steam library in the next two days.
What a bunch of cool marketing doods

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13116 on: April 05, 2018, 07:04:46 pm »

I am quite annoyed at how often court members leave my court.
At least once a year will I have to assign new council members, and assign their job. And I am getting sick of repeating the process so many times.
Is there a mod out there that fixes this? If so, where do I find this mod?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:06:18 pm by Ultimuh »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13117 on: April 05, 2018, 07:27:42 pm »

Do you keep making people with claims you unable/unwilling to press into councillors?  It's usually either that or a combination of culture, religion and personal traits making them hate you.

Failing that, just land any great council members and they can't leave you.  If you're short on decent titles then just make them a Baron or Mayor.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13118 on: April 05, 2018, 07:32:07 pm »

Do you keep making people with claims you unable/unwilling to press into councillors?  It's usually either that or a combination of culture, religion and personal traits making them hate you.
I'm not sure, exactly.. Could be a mod I have which adds.. new cultures.

Failing that, just land any great council members and they can't leave you.  If you're short on decent titles then just make them a Baron or Mayor.
The latter part doesn't seem to help.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:05:01 pm by Ultimuh »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13119 on: April 05, 2018, 07:47:26 pm »

I once had a tug of war with a siege expert commander.

I kept inviting him to court, he kept running back home.

Usually though I find that I run out of valid men to keep in retinue.  They all get counties.  Then I spend a small amount of the underused stat that is piety for mediocre men.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13120 on: April 05, 2018, 09:15:56 pm »

Yeah, the tech lead for Paradox straight up said it's to get new players in to buy DLCs. Personally, I dislike Paradox's DLC strategy and the recent price changes in Canada, but I do like the game, so I figured it's worth posting, just in case anyone here doesn't have the base game yet. Of course, anyone going in should note that if you want a full experience, you're going to get nickle and dimed by DLC.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13121 on: April 05, 2018, 10:38:53 pm »

Yeah, the tech lead for Paradox straight up said it's to get new players in to buy DLCs. Personally, I dislike Paradox's DLC strategy and the recent price changes in Canada, but I do like the game, so I figured it's worth posting, just in case anyone here doesn't have the base game yet. Of course, anyone going in should note that if you want a full experience, you're going to get nickle and dimed by DLC.
for CK2, it's not hard to find DLC that fell off the back of the truck, though.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #13122 on: April 05, 2018, 11:06:19 pm »

for CK2, it's not hard to find DLC that fell off the back of the truck, though.

What's that supposed to mean?

Anyway, any tips for a new player?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13123 on: April 05, 2018, 11:23:18 pm »

What's that supposed to mean?
The difference between salvaging and piracy on the high seas is an important legal distinction

Anyway, any tips for a new player?
Pick a powerful King, but not a powerful Emperor. Crusader Kings, as the name suggests, is easiest to learn as a King, as your vassals aren't terribly strong relative to you, and you don't have to deal with a powerful liege.

Alternatively, start in Ireland after the Norse have turned into Christians. Ireland is a very safe place to learn the ropes, as it is fairly independent of continental struggles.

You probably want to avoid living on the borders between religious groups, they tend to be messy places for beginners to start. Pagans will raid you and the rest may holy war you, holy wars being an especially devastating type of war to lose.

Otherwise, the most important thing to consider is that your titles do not matter. Losing your independence, losing a Kingdom, losing your counties you have held for 300 years, losing you Empire - whatever, as long as your landed family survives with heirs you will still have a game. This is the most unusual aspect of CKII, but the coolest and most important concept to grasp. You must always keep in mind you are not a nation or a faith, you are running a dynasty as its guiding hand, and learning when to empower or restrict your family is pretty important, but something to learn when you've grasped the basic concepts.

Fortunately the basic concepts are really easy to learn. Gold is good: Upgrade your income buildings first (castle walls, castle town, always. Sometimes the castle town will have a different name, owing to culture, but functionally all castle towns are the same). Upgrading your capital holding is good (the capital holding is the one you usually intend to keep for the entire game, in a conventional strategy). Marrying people who are beautiful, genius, strong or brawny is an absolute must, in order to improve the chance of your heirs having these traits. Beware the plague. Do not piss off your wife, if you fear the assassin's knife. Be wary that having many eligible heirs is good when you are playing as the father, but when the father dies and passes down to the heir - all those siblings who are now equals to you, are also claimants to you. The more titles your family holds, the more prestige you get - this applies to the number of titles your family has ever held, in the entirety of history. Prestige is good, it raises the opinion of nobles to you, whilst piety does the same for priests (piety is a little harder to get, but basically build churches and acquire "good" traits to get piety).

Oh! And beware the plague, and stay away from the steppes. That way Mongols come. That said, if the Mongols or someone hopelessly more powerful than you does border you, just surrender to them and become their vassal. Adopt their culture and religion if you have to, the whole point is to be flexible like water, not strong like rock, because rock can be overcome where water will adapt

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #13124 on: April 05, 2018, 11:27:45 pm »

R-right...

I'll try to keep your advice in mind...
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 1002