Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092359 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #12210 on: May 14, 2017, 06:03:36 pm »

Also funny thing the cosmetic DLC? it is nickel and dimed content from other expansions :P

Want to play India AND have them look Indian? Buy out DLC! (I have no idea if they actually pulled it with that expansion mind you)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12211 on: May 14, 2017, 06:08:56 pm »

Also funny thing the cosmetic DLC? it is nickel and dimed content from other expansions :P

Want to play India AND have them look Indian? Buy out DLC! (I have no idea if they actually pulled it with that expansion mind you)
That's complete bullshit. The Indian faces come with Rajas of India and South Indian Portraits comes free when you register your game on the forum.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12212 on: May 15, 2017, 02:05:15 pm »

I know I skipped transcribing a few dev diaries as was tradition, but hey how about a new one?

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12213 on: May 15, 2017, 05:49:40 pm »

Lot of talk of China in that DD. Could they be ramping up to China as the final DLC?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12214 on: May 15, 2017, 06:11:58 pm »

They've said repeatedly they won't to be touch China.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12215 on: May 15, 2017, 07:05:48 pm »

China would be too much for too little.

First and foremost, China would be incredibly taxing on the CPU. Yes, the performance improved with recent updates, but remember the lag that popped up when India was added? This would be literally doubling the size of the gameworld--significantly worse than adding a subcontinent.

Adding onto that, there would be a ton of what amounts to "missing content". Yeah, you could play as the Emperor--but all of your vassals would be republics, because China had a meritocracy (admittedly one based on the gentry,) not a feudal system. You'd be adding a ton of territory and for much of it be able to play as exactly one guy. To be fair, you could hypothetically have a ton of special merchant republics, but that creates even more issues--namely, even more extra lag and the fact that this would have to involve viceroys somewhere down the line (the vaguely similar government of Byzantium is approximated the same way.) To be fair, there would be the steppe nomads, Siberian peoples, Southeast Asian warlords, and Japan, but China still takes up a huge amount of the space in East Asia.

CKII's start dates miss most of the "interesting" periods of Chinese history. The relatively stable Tang dynasty is in power during both the Charlemagne and Old Gods bookmarks. Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms is wedged into the start-date-free 900s, Three Kingdoms ended 500 years before the game starts, and Warring States was over almost a millennium before the game begins. There would be potential for interesting conflict due to the competition between several dynasties and the Yuan invasion in 1066 onward, but let's be frank, nobody thinks of that when they think about Chinese political situations that make good strategy games.

Perhaps most importantly, AFAIK China was basically totally in its own world compared to Europe, outside of Temujin's conquests. Historically, there was basically no interaction between the two in ways that aren't already modeled fine in-game (the Silk Road is one of the focuses of Horse Lords, travelers to and from China are available from random events and court physician searches in the Middle East and India, and Marco Polo has his own event chain.) And even then, medieval Europeans would be too scared of the Japanese and their katanas of doom

Generally, China is integral as a part of Paradox's global strategy games like Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, and Victoria. But Crusader Kings is not set in a global time--so it doesn't need a global map.

That said, I think that an East Asia total conversion would make a really good mod. Not to mention that that way, the game wouldn't be constrained by things like time limits or making the world too big--with no Europe, there's no problem with lag or accidental European interference in the Far East, and if it's not the official game, then fewer people would care about being able to play all the way to the end date, and so the famous periods like Warring States, Three Kingdoms, Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms, could all be fit into one timeline (heck, you could probably throw Sengoku Japan in there as well.) But as an official part of Crusader Kings? No.

also minininja from hector but my points about why China would be a bad idea still stand

So, on another note, are there any ironman-compatible portrait mods that make Indo-Aryan women look less awful? My nineteen-year-old daughter looks like she's thirty.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12216 on: May 15, 2017, 08:00:44 pm »

Yeah, I don't think China would work at all unless they rolled back the start date 500 years or so. Even then it'd be best as its own game. Which I'd be totally down for. But not as a DLC for CK2 expanding the map.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12217 on: May 15, 2017, 08:52:12 pm »

If they were to expand the map, the way I would like to see it is to expand a bit west and a bit south, so we could get the entire western coast of Africa, as well as give both the Abyssinians and the Mali a few more people to conquer to better be able to deal with the Caliphates.  Shouldn't be too intensive, since most of what would be added is ocean.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12218 on: May 15, 2017, 08:59:43 pm »

It's a pretty small change in the grand scheme of things, but I'm glad that they decided to replace the grey wasteland color with the natural terrain instead. Makes things look a lot nicer.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12219 on: May 23, 2017, 02:42:52 pm »

Anyone else kind of just start a game up, play for a few hours and then never go back?
Rinse and repeat everytime?

I swear I cannot for the life of me get invested enough to continue a game long term ever.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12220 on: May 23, 2017, 04:31:27 pm »

Anyone else kind of just start a game up, play for a few hours and then never go back?
Rinse and repeat everytime?

I swear I cannot for the life of me get invested enough to continue a game long term ever.

I tend to do the same thing, but I'm like that with pretty much every game. Football Manager is probably the only sandboxoriented game where I do get invested in runs.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12221 on: May 24, 2017, 01:02:22 am »

I need goals to enjoy CK2. Whatever they are, they have to be extant. It also helps me get right back into the action, where otherwise I wouldn't really be interested in continuing. That's how my old Rome game got to where it was: there was always something to do. It's a lot more motivating when I can come back and think "Ok, let's start that long-delayed war against the Fatimids to secure our holdings in Jerusalem", or if I don't want to do that, continue my campaigns in Iberia to destabilize the Andalusians, or maybe see what my vassals are doing in the frontier regions of the empire in the Caucuses and Africa (the answer is almost always infighting of some sort, with the occasional suicidal attack on someone much bigger than they are).

Otherwise, it's just me on Speed 5, facepalming every time I have to handle the education and marital status of some third cousin twice removed in the distant Frisian branch of the family. And hell that happens anyway sometimes! But that's usually a sign that its time for a little break.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12222 on: May 24, 2017, 03:40:32 am »

My current campaign goal was to create a Merchant republic in what is now Belgium and play it without expanding. I started as the count of Liège, then expanded until I own the Duchy of Luxemburg, Flanders and Brabant. At that point I took the decision to grab the Australasia title rather than go indie and create a new Kingdom title, which I now regreat a bit. Gavelking later, my three duchies are split. That and some very moderate placing of relatives on various titles mean my family own, one way or another, most of the Netherland and northern France.

When I go back, I start playing as the Patrician of House of Belgium of the Republic of Flanders and see how I manage. I will need to grow strong fast, because the Aztecs have landed in Morrocco and are making their steady way up Spain. Once they cross Spain, no European ruler can hope to even slow them down at this point, given that Charlemagne died so early leaving a mess of warring kingdoms.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12223 on: May 24, 2017, 11:26:08 am »

My current campaign goal was to create a Merchant republic in what is now Belgium and play it without expanding. I started as the count of Liège, then expanded until I own the Duchy of Luxemburg, Flanders and Brabant. At that point I took the decision to grab the Australasia title rather than go indie and create a new Kingdom title, which I now regreat a bit.

Wait, why Australasia?  Isn't there a Frisia title that covers Flanders and Brabant?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12224 on: May 24, 2017, 06:55:56 pm »

No, Flanders and Brabant are parts of France IIRC. Frisia just covers the modern-day Netherlands.
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 1002