Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092861 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #12090 on: March 22, 2017, 05:48:29 am »

The game ends 1453. I know, I *just* finished my Crimea game to the end. Got the cheeve and errythang.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of doing the Abbasid achievement, but maaan. I can't really bring myself to do it. Muslims aren't fun to play, and there's no good province to make my capital. Baghdad is shit, sure it's got full slots but it's got two cities, and the closest candidate is Tigris which has two mosques and three castles, and two empty slots. I just want a county with mosques for the cash, alright?? IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK
Baghdad is pretty great, actually. Barony cities give you a ton of money for mercs, and it has river crossings with every bordering province, meaning that you get defensive bonus always.

Muslims can be pretty fun. Polygamy means you'll get a lot more kinslaying going on from the AI. However, muslims are also easier in that you can pass laws and declare wars as much as you want so long as you got piety.

If by "abbasid achievement" you mean The Caliphate Strikes back, it's really easy. Just lengthy. One thing you need to keep in mind is that you will have a council authority faction right off the gate that will try to press their claims. Don't use any money (and borrow from the jews) until they rebel. Crush them, and then proceed to eat your fellow Seljuk rivals from the inside.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12091 on: March 22, 2017, 06:22:18 am »

How can one convert to, and then back from, Catholicism - or any other faith? Is that possible?

My preferred method when I can't get a wife/concubine of the religion I want and convert that way, is to conquer a new county of that religion, move my capital there, convert and do whatever I was after the religion for, move back to my de jure realm capital and convert back to the old religion.

EDIT: Took a screenshot of the Anti-Pope and his Pope liege.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We have the Pope in Rome Silvester II and the true Pope Honorius II as his liege. I think Honorius II comes from land in Africa that had been conquered by the Lombards in the past and converted to Catholicism. Considering how messed up Europe is at the moment it doesn't surprise me that the best Cardinal candidate was from elsewhere.

Silvester inherited his role as Anti-Pope from the first one, and Honorius is not the Pope who was originally in power when the Anti-Papacy was formed. I'm leaving them be for now and focusing on getting and pressing a claim on Byzantium. My current wife should get a strong claim when her father dies, and I can then try to get that passed onto our sons. When that's done and I have the lands needed to form the Roman Empire I'll probably do a third hop into Christendom to get the Empire formed, then switch back again.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:18:40 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12092 on: March 22, 2017, 02:01:21 pm »

How effective are constructions like cities and churches in generating money? I'm never sure exactly where my cash is coming from, as my go-to strat is mindless expansionism until i hit vassal limit and spend six rulers trying to raise vassal limit or push for viceroyalties, but  I always thought that most of my money was generated by the county capitol.
You can find this out and more by clicking your top-title (at the bottom of that display is a list of income and expenses, very difficult to find) and the "never-discussed or mentioned anywhere but incredibly useful" button "." Pressing period (or is it ","? I think it's ".") brings up a ledger with a ton of useful info, like all the members of your dynasty, your demesne and how many buildings can be built in each holding, etc. One of the tabs is a list of every single holding in the realm, how much tax it produces, and how much it gives to you personally, with the ability to sort by each of those. Very useful. It's the only reason I know anything at all about my realm after capturing Italy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12093 on: March 22, 2017, 04:51:19 pm »

Returned to messing around with my Zoroastrian ruler that had held off two holy wars and the Zunists.  After two title revocation wars (guy died before I could revoke the title, managed to get it from his son.  Hilariously, the dynasty moved to my court, so I could then take the kid's two sisters as my concubines.  Hilariously, the one of whom I had in prison then took as a concubine actually fell in love with my character while the other is still ticked at me.  The third concubine was a prisoner I was somehow friends with.), a de jure war against the Zunbil Satrapy, then another revocation war to take away territory from the vassal I gained from the de jure war, I now have total control of the primary dutchy.  Since de jure wars and revocation wars don't incur the 'recently conquered' penalty, my capabilities ended up getting a major boost and I could give away a few of my India castles without penalty.  Sure it sounds like a loss as they would have full reinforcement, but India castles at the earliest start date are just utter crap.  The newly grabbed ones in Afghanistan would each give around 650 when I first got them (with more now that I've built them up a bit), while the India castles had less than 200.  Did eventually get one of them back when the Old, Celibate man I gave it to had died, but that's not the hilarious one.  Turned out, due to a civil war in the Zunbil territory, an entire branch of the family wound up moving to my court.

They still had claims upon their old territory, so I wanted them to give them some territory, a barony, for when that war would happen.  However, I only wanted to give territory to Zoroastrian rulers.  Fortunately, I could turn the former, childless lord to Zoroastrian by sending a gift.  Then I found out that in Zoroastrian marriages, both members don't have to be Zoroastrian, and was able to marry him off to his sister before sending him away to rule the barony.

Not much else to say besides the Zunist situation has seemed to evolve into a Cold War for Afghanistan.  Neither of us can form the Kingdom since we each have exactly 50%, and while I have more personal troops, the current Zunist ruler has good enough vassal relations to be tied with me.  Immortality quest chain has started up for me and they are using conquest CBs on a few 1 county neighbors, so a change in the situation may be coming soon.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12094 on: March 23, 2017, 07:15:36 am »

If you like Dem Mods, Historical Improvement has been updated to the current iteration. Personally I'm waiting for the Warhammer and GoT mods with most interest. While I enjoy and appreciate the large historical mods, I've played so much vanilla CK back in the day that a new setting is more interesting. Warhamster-mod has been especially relevant lately due to playing Total War Warhammer.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12095 on: March 23, 2017, 09:19:03 am »

Warhamster-mod has been especially relevant lately due to playing Total War Warhammer.
Suddenly, I want to see this very much...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12096 on: March 23, 2017, 12:52:37 pm »

The new features seem like they were designed in large part for the Warhammer mod's chaos cults, so it'll be good to play soon. Personally I'm waiting until Paradox adds in the cut features (alchemy, for example) and balances things in the next patch, though.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12097 on: March 27, 2017, 04:30:30 pm »

New dev diary is out.

I'm kind of surprised that they're making creating new cults easier now, after they already put in the work to make them in the first place the hard way, but, y'know. Power to them.

Also seems like the criticisms of societies are being worked at.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12098 on: March 27, 2017, 05:25:25 pm »

New dev diary is out.

I'm kind of surprised that they're making creating new cults easier now, after they already put in the work to make them in the first place the hard way, but, y'know. Power to them.

Also seems like the criticisms of societies are being worked at.
I mean this is basically a "make stuff easier on the modders so that people will keep buying this game after we stop working on it" DLC, so it makes some sense.

And the hard work part of making the cults is the content and the mechanics, having the mechanics be selected automatically by the engine doesn't sacrifice much of that work compared to having them always on, as was previously the case. Only thing that may be lost is the trouble of going through and manually assembling them, which is essentially a copy/paste job since they'd done very little to differentiate them anyway.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12099 on: March 28, 2017, 12:50:15 pm »

Anyone know a good way to get primogenture/seniority as an Indian dynasty in Conclave?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:03:09 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12100 on: March 28, 2017, 01:35:49 pm »

Go Buddhist Youngestchilditure, they can choose their heirs.
Love, scriver~

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12101 on: March 28, 2017, 03:45:21 pm »

That requires Late Feudal as well, which I presume is the issue he's having with getting Primo (as both are available to Indian characters.)

I haven't played in India, but if I absolutely had to get Primo, my first move would be to find a high-tech province (specifically, one with Legalism 3) and conquer it if I didn't already own it, move my capital there, then pass Late Feudal Administration.

Barring that, you can try to rush Legalism 3. Take the Scholarship focus, set your priest to research economic technology and your spymaster to steal technology (probably in Constantinople), that kind of thing.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12102 on: March 28, 2017, 06:17:08 pm »

Ah, I see what's going on then. Thanks!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12103 on: March 28, 2017, 07:14:42 pm »

Fast forward to the year 809... Catholicism has shattered into a dozen heretical strongholds, creeping across France, Italy, north Africa, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, England, and Bavaria...

The all-powerful Sunnis of the Arabian Empire have collapsed, replaced by myriad Zoroastrian, Zunist, Ibadi, Monophysite, among others.

As the Catholic masses fight their heresiarchs, the Norse stand upon the precipice of a new age: a united Scandinavian Empire mere months from completion, beside the fortuitious Reformation of Germanic Paganism.

Finland's mighty Suomenusko tribes have all but ceased to exist as Ragnarr 'Lothbrok', son of Sigurdr 'Ring', unites the hordes beneath the banner of Svithjod.

In a series of calculated manipulations, assassinations, marriages, and shenanigans, the entirety of Svithjod(Sweden), Noregr(Norway), Nordriki (Far northwest), Lappland (Central northwest), most of Finland, the Isle of Mann, and bits of Ireland lay firmly within the iron fist of Ragnarr himself.

His fool of a wife betrayed him, dying within a dungeon cell after the Spymaster discovered her treachery. Her lover, too, has fallen - slain in honorable Holmgangr of his own request. Only a fool would challenge Viking ravager and infamous Berserker - Ragnarr Lothbrok, Scourge of the North - to a duel!

At a mere 38 years of age, with a Viking raider for a son and heir while Finland stands firmly in the capable hands of his Brother, Roma shall burn as the Norsemen descend from their longships to seed Italia with pestilence and war!

The world shall be reforged by the axe and shield of Norsemen, those foolish Christians and Muslims falling beneath our reaping claws!

May we meet in Valhalla, then, for this world shall know the true meaning of Ragnarok!

(...And I wish I had Monks and Mystics, as the newest patch is fixing the secret groups to have at least one generated for every single faith in the game!)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12104 on: March 28, 2017, 08:26:43 pm »

Minor Question, has anyone here conquered the world as any of the Muslim branches?  I hear a lot of ones that used the Norse religion and Christian branches, but can't recall one of those or the Indian religions.

(...And I wish I had Monks and Mystics, as the newest patch is fixing the secret groups to have at least one generated for every single faith in the game!)

Wait, does this include heresies?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:29:29 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 1002