Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093347 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11970 on: March 10, 2017, 03:04:59 pm »

It is incredibly hard to say how often the AI uses demon magic. Cultists are rare and usually low ranking, and the powers' effects are essentially invisible beyond the 'vanished without a trace' death from being sacrificed.

In my current Scandinavia game I've seen the Hel cult kill maybe 5 people from my family/court in events and with powers over the past 170 years, where by comparison my characters have killed the better part of a hundred with various cult abilities, but that doesn't mean they haven't been using them in courts and on people I haven't been paying attention to.

So far I've never been targeted by the AI personally, but that may just be because I'm frequently not an eligible target and an enemy at the same time.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11971 on: March 10, 2017, 03:08:29 pm »

It is likely that Canada's success with multiculturalism is because we have a less tangible national identity and pride.

It's more that you genocided all the native inhabitants to the brink of extinction and then mainly received immigration from back "home" or people who are culturally and ethnically very similar to them until basically the last couple of decades.

I'd tend to argue that it's a bit of both. The people that I see committed to some misplaced sense of Canadian patriotism are also often the ones who oppose multiculturalism and bringing in more refugees. However, the original conception of multiculturalism came at a time when Canada was 85%~ Caucasian, and it's easy to be "multicultural" when everyone else is like you. Indeed, you can see a correlation between rising distrust of multiculturalism and the shrinking majority of Caucasians in the country.

However, I've derailed too long. How is Monks and Mystics so far? Is it worth a buy?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11972 on: March 10, 2017, 03:48:13 pm »

The Monks and Mystics... looks suprisingly unfinished for a Paradox DLC. It feels like they wanted to do a lot more with it but never actually did.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11973 on: March 10, 2017, 03:56:00 pm »

I think a few features are supposed to have been planned but not implemented, like alchemy. I've heard some stuff about a patch adding in the bits they had partially finished but ran out of time for.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11974 on: March 10, 2017, 04:20:48 pm »

@ Glloyd

I personally enjoy it, but I recommend to wait for the sale. Satanists are OP at the moment and need a nerf, so you can play 2.7 without MaM for now (I personally was more excited for the patch). It will be worth it after Paradox fixes the balance, tho.

Also, my daughter is a Spawn of Satan and I have Agnatic Primogeniture. I don't want to sound sexist, but why the girls are always Demon Childs in my game and not the boys? And why it always happens to me during agnatic succession law?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:25:45 pm by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11975 on: March 10, 2017, 05:39:16 pm »

There is this satanic impregnation thing if you're leader of Evil Cult. It's basically demon baby factory, although sometimes it gives you a fake one.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11976 on: March 10, 2017, 06:41:37 pm »

This pretty much addresses all the current problems with M&M

Also, gnostics appeared in an early dev diary but were cut.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11977 on: March 10, 2017, 06:59:19 pm »

I caved. And was very disappointed that Buddhism doesn't have a satanist-equivalent.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11978 on: March 10, 2017, 07:50:11 pm »

I caved. And was very disappointed that Buddhism doesn't have a satanist-equivalent.
Don't be too sad. Norse has a satanist equivalent and it sucks. Literally just Christian satanism but replace "Satan" and "demons" with "Hel" and "giants".

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11979 on: March 10, 2017, 08:06:54 pm »

It doesn't even make sense for the Norse to have such a cult, magic and human sacrifice were normal, if contemptible, parts of their culture and folklore, and respect for giants and Hel was normal though actual reverence was nonexistent.

It would have made more sense for them to get a society that women can join, and men can join if they're willing to take a same religion opinion penalty, that gave them a bunch of event chains and abilities to emulate the quests and magic used by Thor, Odin and the other figures of Norse myth.

I could easily see a Norse character going on a vision quest where Odin tells them to hang themselves for 9 days to learn magic, followed by some Immortality event chain style stuff with risks of failure and death.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11980 on: March 10, 2017, 08:31:34 pm »

It doesn't even make sense for the Norse to have such a cult, magic and human sacrifice were normal, if contemptible, parts of their culture and folklore, and respect for giants and Hel was normal though actual reverence was nonexistent.

It would have made more sense for them to get a society that women can join, and men can join if they're willing to take a same religion opinion penalty, that gave them a bunch of event chains and abilities to emulate the quests and magic used by Thor, Odin and the other figures of Norse myth.

I could easily see a Norse character going on a vision quest where Odin tells them to hang themselves for 9 days to learn magic, followed by some Immortality event chain style stuff with risks of failure and death.
Actually, you want some actually historical stuff that still fits the whole magic thing? Seidmen. Basically, male sorcerers. Which were seen with very, very bad eyes by the norse. Wikipedia link.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11981 on: March 10, 2017, 08:46:39 pm »

From what little I know about Buddhism, Buddhist satanism wouldn't make any sense anyways.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11982 on: March 10, 2017, 09:37:28 pm »

Incidentally, in my most recent game the Aztec Emperor (forgot to turn it off, they showed up in 1096 or something) was generated as... a son of an existing character. His current heir is a Welsh Count who is also his brother. He is also, apparently, the High Priest of Lucifer's own, and it would seem that he has sacrificed his two children for something (it's the "disappeared without a trace" death reason).

You know, if a family member dies to a cult or something that you aren't aware of, relatives should have a chance to get a MTTH event where they can wonder what happened to their nephew/cousin/great-aunt/whatever, which would start an event chain where you uncover the cult (or die trying). I think that would be pretty neat.
It is incredibly hard to say how often the AI uses demon magic. Cultists are rare and usually low ranking, and the powers' effects are essentially invisible beyond the 'vanished without a trace' death from being sacrificed.

In my current Scandinavia game I've seen the Hel cult kill maybe 5 people from my family/court in events and with powers over the past 170 years, where by comparison my characters have killed the better part of a hundred with various cult abilities, but that doesn't mean they haven't been using them in courts and on people I haven't been paying attention to.

So far I've never been targeted by the AI personally, but that may just be because I'm frequently not an eligible target and an enemy at the same time.
Well thanks anyway. Any information is useful information. It's nice to see that the AI does use it, but
Also, my daughter is a Spawn of Satan and I have Agnatic Primogeniture. I don't want to sound sexist, but why the girls are always Demon Childs in my game and not the boys? And why it always happens to me during agnatic succession law?
Ironically, the one time I've played a character with a Satan Child seriously (as opposed to when I was just goofing around), it was as Basileus. I had Agnatic-Cognatic Elective, which should have been good enough except that everyone hated my daughter for being so obviously evil. So I actually had to switch to Primo just to get her in (and she... "helped" by murdering my other children). Fortunately a faction fired to switch back to Elective soon after she took power, which saved me the trouble of doing it myself and prevented certain vassals from civil warring me (other vassals did, but their factions were small and were easily crushed, allowing me to consolidate power)

I'm sort of surprised the tide has turned this much. I was expecting to be a minority. Huh. I feel very neutral about that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11983 on: March 10, 2017, 09:50:21 pm »

I'm sort of surprised the tide has turned this much. I was expecting to be a minority. Huh. I feel very neutral about that.
I was kinda excited for more magic (a personal preference, I admit it's rather out of place) but this looks like a well written and respectful review.  I was already on the fence, now I'm definitely waiting to buy...  Though I do have faith that they'll address the issues like with Way of Life.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11984 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:28 pm »

I've been having a lot of fun with the new Treasury. I'm playing a Viking this game, and I've got a ton of great stuff in there. I've got an iron crown and a ceremonial sword that I stole, the arm bone of some Scottish hero (I also stole this,) the +2 Axe (I technically stole this,) and a regular battleaxe (I had it made,) among some less-useful odds and ends. I've been raiding Rome constantly in an attempt to kidnap the Pope and steal St. Peter's bones for kicks, but the Pope always has his personal army on standby :v

One of my vassals also found Jesus's foreskin, but it's useless because we're Norse rather than Christian.

Is there any way to get crown and weapon forging events to reliably fire, though? The main reason I've stolen most of my stuff is because the only thing I've been offered to have made was the battleaxe.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 1002