Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093462 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11940 on: March 08, 2017, 05:34:49 pm »

My game crashed from it and I do have some work to do, don't worry about waiting for me. Had fun though. Nobody expects the Satanist Inquistion.

E: If you're playing again in a while I might be able to join, depending on how much work I have done
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:36:20 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11941 on: March 08, 2017, 05:35:27 pm »

Welp, death happened, will put it back up from save.

Tell me what the server ID is when you do.  You saved before you quit, didn't you?  Don't want to lose the werewolf guy.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11942 on: March 08, 2017, 06:22:45 pm »

CTD just after the autosave. Have to get going though.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11943 on: March 08, 2017, 08:29:17 pm »

I like playing CK2 as a kind of a fishbowl... that is to say, letting it run in observe mod and occasionally adjusting it. The only major thing I did in this game is around 900 when I gave a territory to Saxony and allowed them to reform Norse Paganism, which at that time was almost extinct.

France only started growing explosively in the last 100 years or so, but Pratiharta has been expanding for about 350 years.

At this point, it's time to export her to EU and see what it looks like around 1800.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11944 on: March 08, 2017, 08:46:27 pm »

Wait, in the latter one, does that mean an Indian nation managed to expand outside of India?  And has Orthodoxy been reduced to a single state?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11945 on: March 08, 2017, 09:42:37 pm »

Yeah, I decided to run it for one more decade and so here's the final state of the world on December 29th 1443:

Spoiler: Political Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Religious Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cultural Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: France (click to show/hide)

And yeah, India blobbed outward this game. When I exported it, it broke into basically Persia with Indian enclaves around it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11946 on: March 08, 2017, 10:49:50 pm »

Alas if there was one thing that should be added to the game, it should be some sort of sensibility to the AI about what it wants to achieve. In EU4, you know, I'm amazed by the single-mindedness of the Coptic nations: They want to get their five holy sites. That's all that matters to them, and damn if they don't do a good job of expanding in that direction.

But in the game I'm continually surprised at weird decision-making. Why would Pratihara decide "no, we don't want to unite India, let's just conquer west until we hit the Atlantic"? The best (worst) example is that Byzantium tends to expand north instead of south and west, making an AI Roman Empire essentially impossible; even when the Byzantines go ham, they tend to end up becoming some sort of Greco-Russian Empire instead of Rome... The other classic example is that France always conquers Algiers, and Italy (or, barring that, usually Pisa) conquers Tunisia. Every time. And while I'm on it, whoever controls Egypt always expands southwards into Ethiopia/Abyssinia unless the Coptics unite into a single power, because why would they ever not? It's just free land! And in a few generations, it's all Sunni Egyptian. Maybe it's something about how Holy Wars work that is messed up...
Does anybody feel like it's way too easy to join the societies? I feel like there should be stricter requirements for Satanist than "has any single one of the extremely common Seven Sins", for example, and something more special than 10 learning for joining the Hermetics.
If I had my druthers, I'd split up societies by distance,  (maybe only within a single realm or region; how would people in Ireland command secrets in the Byzantine Empire?), possibly having the leaders tenuously report to some single leader or branch representing the "head" in societies that makes sense for, and add ways for small scale societies to be broken up and reformed. I'd make it harder to join them, and that the actual process itself take longer (you should not be able to just join a secret society the minute you get in the game). I also have a ton of balance concerns based on what I've heard (I swear to god the things I've heard people pulling off already is ridiculous), but that's a whole different can-of-worms (biggest concern: when would you ever not join a society? Not being in a society seems strictly suboptimal).

Incidentally, There is surprisingly little about society formation or local societies in the game; the only formable one appears to be the religious cults, and even those require that you start off as religion A, where religion A is some religion that is NOT a heresy or Nestorianism or something, AND that you have a liege who is a different religion from you, and that you decide to convert falsely; and then, you need prestige just to form it (why not piety? And maybe a small gold fee.) Other then that, there's no way to be secretly anything. Of all things that are missing, this surprises me the most, because it fits with the whole stereotypical CK2-player modus operandi of bringing dead or mostly dead religions to power and prominence. I imagine that a lot more can be done in terms of societies with mods, but it's kind of strange.

Anyway, once I've gotten my fill of satanism and alchemy, I think I'm going to try to run an LP on the forum. Any suggestions for interesting areas? I can play anybody but Indians and Jews (and I don't have Horse Lords, so the Mongols are tribal rather than nomadic.)
Probably zoroastrian I would suggest. Take down the abbasids from the inside.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11947 on: March 09, 2017, 12:26:20 am »

Probably zoroastrian I would suggest. Take down the abbasids from the inside.

Just started a Zoroastrian game myself in the 700's, using a ruler designer character in the satrapy northeast of the Zuns.  Revoked the titles of all but one of my vassals, using two wars.  After creating the eastern dutchy you don't start with, then proceeded to use a de jure war to grab the capital of the Indian guy to my east, due to him being depleted from defending a neighbor in a holy war.  During this war, my character died, leaving me with a zero year old who somehow dragged his father's body to the top of a mountain and became charitable from meeting a hermit along the way.  Immediately after winning that war, the Zunists declared war for one of my provinces, the northwesternmost.  Then the Abyssid tributary to my west declared a Holy War for the same province and my capital.  Then the vassal of a Indian I fought declared Holy War for every one of my eastern provinces.  Only the last was weaker than me.

Thankfully, Zoroastrians can borrow money from Jews and each of the wars netted me a lot of money, both the Zunist and Indian wars netting me around 160 and the Abyssid tributary netting me 330.  Last one actually had three provinces sheer off into three independent nations in the aftermath.  After that was done, I nabbed the last province of the guy that starts between the Zunists and the Abyssid tributary before the Zunists gobbled them up.  Within six years of life and rule, the kid has enforced demands on two offensive wars and three defensive wars.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11948 on: March 09, 2017, 12:35:56 am »

...That is one bad-ass six year old!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11949 on: March 09, 2017, 07:45:29 pm »

I wish there was a hidden stat that gave them a bit of intelligence.
There is. A lot of traits affect ai_rationality, ai_honor, ai_greed, ai_ambition, ai_zeal. They do what the name implies (and can go into negatives).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11950 on: March 09, 2017, 08:08:17 pm »

But can ai_rationality go positive?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11951 on: March 09, 2017, 08:09:07 pm »

But can ai_rationality go positive?
yes. High rationality makes the AI only go to war if they have a shot at winning, for example.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11952 on: March 09, 2017, 08:17:28 pm »

Incredible.
Do you happen to know a mod which drastically increases that value in NPCs?
I know that half the fun is those old landless ladies in foreign courts who spend their days at 5% plot power towards you favorite son.  Making you invent reasons for them to do such a thing.
Or those independent dukes who stand absolutely no chance, still contesting your "rightful" claims on their duchy, even though they'll keep their counties.  A situation where the only rational choice is surrender, to court your favor, and yet they insist on being annoyances and sending their men to certain death.

I saw once, in a dream, such a noble accepting surrender at a mere 99% warscore.  Could such a thing be real?
(Sarcasm, though seriously...  They sure love wasting their countrymen pointlessly, most of the time.  I still offer, for the rare times they accept)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11953 on: March 09, 2017, 09:32:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This happened today in my Gotland game.
Essentially I was a lunatic, made Glitterhoof my chancellor so I decided I would give him a few concubines including one in my lineage.
Little to my knowledge I was having an affair with one of those concubines and produced a child which the he thinks is his.

This son is gonna grow up and do all the things expected of horses. I need to figure out how to get him to become the heir so I can work a way into making horse culture the primary culture of Sweden.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11954 on: March 09, 2017, 10:02:05 pm »

You know, on one hand you are super late on that train. On the other hand, I think you may have discovered an entirely new way of creating horse culture. Previously I thought the only way to do so involved giving Glitterhoof a Bishopric, which then creates horse-culture courtiers.

On the one hand, this does mean that he will not grow up to actually become a horse, since he's just a child of two humans raised as a horse ("What do you mean? Of course he's my son! See, he's got his father's whinny."). On the other hand, as soon as he gains a title, he will generate actual horses as his courtiers.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 1002