Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093869 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11505 on: January 08, 2017, 01:51:25 pm »

CK3 will not be coming for a long, long time. A new generation of Paradox titles is most often tied to a new engine, and we still have the hypothetical Victoria 3 (please let it be a thing in the future) to go, not counting the entire lifetime of EU4, HOI4, and Stellaris.

And don't forget about Zoidberg Europa Universalis: Rome UK!
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: January 08, 2017, 01:53:56 pm »

CK3 will not be coming for a long, long time. A new generation of Paradox titles is most often tied to a new engine, and we still have the hypothetical Victoria 3 (please let it be a thing in the future) to go, not counting the entire lifetime of EU4, HOI4, and Stellaris.

And don't forget about Zoidberg Europa Universalis: Rome UK!
Rome is the promised Messiah and transcends such pedestrian limitations like engines.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: January 08, 2017, 04:05:59 pm »

Welp.

I know it would happen.

And when I saw a warhammer fantasy mod I was stricken with the desire to do this.

So I learned howdo: wine.  Which was easy once I looked hard enough.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: January 08, 2017, 04:12:47 pm »

Erm ...

I was wondering if anybody had any good idea how much I should inflate aggression in order to make the not be pansies?
Ive gotta remember how to make my own CBs to speed up their warring and then make some religious aggression modifiers or something.

so far I simply bumped up aggro based on religion.  nice and simple.

1.2 for christains
1.1 for ortho
1.3 for muzzies
1.2 for finnobaltics
1.3 for slavic
1.1 for indians
1.3 for africans
1.5 for jews

I hope the muzzies go down or africans go up.  Christain africans are also hyperaggressive for this.
I hope the christians fo more infighting.
I hope the slavs stop being scizzored by the tenghris and the finnish don anything
I hope the indians try to consolidate more
The orthos and muzzie blobs plz fight.
The jew hopefully try to do anything, though I dont think they will

I dont know what the game is like since I left right after they did the EU retreats, but this should hopefully help make more war, coupled with me extending diplo modifiers and trying to tweak the inter-national diplo points.  Indifference to any given random ruler, that should be the byword.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:27:13 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: January 08, 2017, 06:46:39 pm »

I am going to ask this one question! Why is Shattered Retreat a bad mechanic? I know it's in EU4 and it's not hated there. Do you like ping pong in pre-conclave CK2? Because honestly, it got tedious. Now I can jut smash a stack, siege and maybe smash it again if it's a suffeciently large one. As opposed to months of 'shift right click shift click shift right click shift right click shift right click shift right click shift right click they're dead.'

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: January 08, 2017, 06:56:55 pm »

I am going to ask this one question! Why is Shattered Retreat a bad mechanic? I know it's in EU4 and it's not hated there. Do you like ping pong in pre-conclave CK2? Because honestly, it got tedious. Now I can jut smash a stack, siege and maybe smash it again if it's a suffeciently large one. As opposed to months of 'shift right click shift click shift right click shift right click shift right click shift right click shift right click they're dead.'

If we're referring to the mechanic that causes a defeated units to retreat out of the county, across the country, and onto the another continent, well... there you have it.

Honestly, what defeat should do is cause a unit to retreat a county or two and lower morale abysmally. Extremely low morale should prevent a unit from marching while the army regroups, resupplies, and attempts to coordinate its next move. Better generals would quicken the process and prevent attrition. This should last long enough to serve as a balanced penalty, but not so long as to let a larger army catch up and eradicate them outright, barring bad RNG.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: January 08, 2017, 07:03:54 pm »

I've never had a unit retreat from Scotland to the middle east. Maybe you're exaggerating. A lot.

EDIT: I did have a dumb idea.

How would the game be changed if all CBs, regardless of if it made sense, were given 'All occupied territory is given to [character].'
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:34:24 pm by Iceblaster »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: January 08, 2017, 07:38:51 pm »

It could have something to do with the fact that I only play modded. Something about I hang up I have with realism and history. Still, retreating more than a couple of counties is a bit much, especially when it tactically makes no sense. You're already is safe territory-- what are you running from, and why are you picking to go where you are?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: January 08, 2017, 07:40:30 pm »

Yeah, there's some tweaks, but honestly the overwhelming reaction of 'it's horrible remove it entirely no compromise' from most of the people I've talked to/read annoys me. Not speaking about here. Just saying that right now :P

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: January 08, 2017, 07:43:02 pm »

The maximum length for shattered retreat in vanilla is 10 provinces, and the game will attempt to retreat at least 4.  This is viewable (and alterable) in the defines, so it may be altered by mods, but very few players are likely to turn it up.  That said, the vanilla settings can still result in shattered retreats that can nearly span a continent along the short span, such as an army fleeing from Saxony over the Alps to Rome, all the way through hostile territory (to borrow from a recent complaint thread; the player in this complaint playing as Saxony against a crusade). 

But there was complaining about shattered retreat in EU4 as well, moreso in that than in CK2, actually.  That's also where Ibid's comment really comes into play, too: armies retreating from Ethiopia to Austria, Kentucky to the Mosquito Coast (Nicaragua and Honduras), Yunnan to the Yalu, Primorsk to Moscow, or Mutapa to Cairo.  An army in mad flight from, say, the Adriatic to the Seine, or from Crimea to northern Russia, were a bit less surreal by comparison, but no less frustrating.  This was also even more true in older versions, before it was tweaked. 

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: January 08, 2017, 09:11:21 pm »

I don't mind it so much really. I'm less a fan of the shattered army recovering morale while getting a "speed" boost between provinces. Seems reasonable to me that a speed boost while morale is low (to simulate panicked retreat) while getting slower as they get more disciplined or something would make more sense.

If you chase them you get an army with more morale that you can lay into some more, as opposed to maybe a day of fighting, the pursuit on the battlefield and then following them to the next province to repeat until they're wiped out.

It makes the focus of war more on holding territory as an aggressor, and holding off attackers as a defender (unless you cheese it and siege the attackers territory) rather than wiping stacks, which also makes sense to me.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: January 08, 2017, 10:41:51 pm »

I can get behind that. Shattered retreat is definitely better than the old mechanic, and the idiotic AI metagaming its response to your moves.

If anyone else here plays the Ice & Fire or Elder Kings mods, I'd be up for a game sometime. :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: January 09, 2017, 12:13:48 am »

No, no, I want it to be a slow decay leading up to it as well. Simply giving away a whole lot of titles to children isn't very interesting. I want something that can't really be stopped by the time it's extreme enough to notice.
Not really possible.

If you can figure out such a thing, let me know.
There's gotta be something. Maybe event triggers to gradually scramble everyone's religion and/or culture, so it builds up to everyone hating everyone else? If it's possible to mod decadence, maybe using it for something longer-term and irreversible? Custom traits modifying AI aggression/rationality that somehow spread/worsen through the population?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: January 09, 2017, 02:25:09 am »

No, no, I want it to be a slow decay leading up to it as well. Simply giving away a whole lot of titles to children isn't very interesting. I want something that can't really be stopped by the time it's extreme enough to notice.
Not really possible.

If you can figure out such a thing, let me know.
There's gotta be something. Maybe event triggers to gradually scramble everyone's religion and/or culture, so it builds up to everyone hating everyone else? If it's possible to mod decadence, maybe using it for something longer-term and irreversible? Custom traits modifying AI aggression/rationality that somehow spread/worsen through the population?
Blobs are really, really hard to break up in the base game. Look at the Abbasids and the Karlings. I don't know anything about modding but if you wanted to mod it so every blob breaks up I'm sure you could do something like "negative relations for every extra holding in primary title" or something.

-----

I've been playing more After the End.

I started around Florida, a little to the West of the horn. Over two generations I expanded out, conquered all the heathens around me. The Voodoo worshippers and the Americanists all. To the North is the Holy Colombian Empire but we're on pretty good terms since we're both Protestant.

Anyway, my second king was possessed as a kid and as a result I always had a hilarious time with him as his traits kept randomly changing depending on what Satan decided he had to do that day. He also had the 40 martial from voice of Jesus as well. He was a reformist who completely removed all power from the council and allowed women rights and the ability to own property. However, because he was a homosexual he only had one kid, and that kid turned out to be a weak, timid, and frail character with subpar stats. Just before this possessed guy who channeled Satan, Jesus, and Poseidon died, he created the empire of Florida (Suncoast Empire).

So on to the third king. He's pretty worthless so he marries a genius girl from some unknown family, hoping for the best. He also decided he wanted to be a researcher before he took power so he spent all his time cooped up in his study and doing pointless things like "making the parish learn more about history and examine the past" and "create national sport and education". Complete nonsense like that. However, not too long after his marriage, his wife bore him a child, and lo and behold, it's a genius child! Much rejoicing.

3 months later though, the head of the clergy comes to this Emperor with the news that his wife is a witch and his son is the spawn of Satan.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this Son of Satan will do across the Eastern coast of America. I'm hoping because Satan will make him become a heretic, he can invade the Holy Empire and conglomerate it all.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: January 09, 2017, 06:14:50 am »

Speaking of Satan, I haven't been able to sleep (again), so I dropped by the official forums in time to spot this go up:
Nice to know I don't actually need to have demon-worshippers running around in my game if I don't want a supernatural game, though that Hindu cult sorta grabs at your heartstrings.  Also, though it's unsurprising, it's been confirmed as moddable.
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1002