Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093672 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11385 on: December 15, 2016, 02:47:26 pm »

Ooooh. Honestly, I have no idea if you can breed a specific hair color to occur one hundred percent of the time. That'd be something in the code, sooo... Not a file we can pop into notepad++ and look at :P

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: December 15, 2016, 02:57:22 pm »

Ah, well my hopes and dreams of a cute world are shattered. On the plus side, if I don't have to worry about that then that makes land distribution a lot easier.
EDIT: upon further review, it looks like there is a DNA value for each character that determines the values of their offspring and red is a possible value for digit 9, so a pureblooded Ireland  might still be possible. All I have to do is exterminate all the lesser races less cute varieties of human. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:52:20 pm by Lukewarm »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11387 on: December 15, 2016, 03:56:02 pm »

Are there easy ways of handling those? I've successfully added stuff to Localization, but it's an annoying process and a process that bothersome makes it a lot harder to work up the motivation to do it.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. If it is adding new ones, you just find or create a new csv file in localization and place the new stuff there. If you want to edit existing stuff, you need to find where it is and change it. Simple as that. Though I recommend creating a mod instead of changing the base files.

Spoiler: Also, Dev Diary (click to show/hide)
Between this and the last one, it seems like a major goal of the new DLC is to add official systems for stuff that modders have previously implemented with roundabout hacks. Paradox may be looking to a future where the sales of CK2 are driven entirely by mods... And that's not unrealistic, really.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: December 15, 2016, 06:39:31 pm »

Are there easy ways of handling those? I've successfully added stuff to Localization, but it's an annoying process and a process that bothersome makes it a lot harder to work up the motivation to do it.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. If it is adding new ones, you just find or create a new csv file in localization and place the new stuff there. If you want to edit existing stuff, you need to find where it is and change it. Simple as that. Though I recommend creating a mod instead of changing the base files.

Spoiler: Also, Dev Diary (click to show/hide)
Between this and the last one, it seems like a major goal of the new DLC is to add official systems for stuff that modders have previously implemented with roundabout hacks. Paradox may be looking to a future where the sales of CK2 are driven entirely by mods... And that's not unrealistic, really.
Yeah. Pretty much. After all, EU4 may be the flagship title, but CK2 is incredibly loved the fanbase. And this is the penultimate DLC. Bethesda games sell well after any DLC stop coming out because of mods. Paradox is probably trying the same.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: December 16, 2016, 10:59:29 am »

Oof. Been too long since I played, I forgot how strong tribal stuff can be.

DOW'd a small neighboring chiefdom with just two provinces. He was listed as having ~600 troops and -30 gold. This will be easy!

Wrong! Guy had 600 renown and 600 Piety. Cue 10,000 troops popping up out of nowhere. Even with me adding in Tribal troops of my own plus my 1000+ levies and my 7 tribal vassels we couldn't quite match that number. Sheesh.

Also, elective Gavelkind is annoying as all hell. Stop nominating successors from out of kingdom for your areas, you jerks!

And I thought normal Gavelkind was bad...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: December 16, 2016, 11:54:16 am »

This is why you heck prestige before declaring on a tribal ruler :P

Though honestly, I think it really should only matter if a non-tribal ruler is attacking instead of always. As, IIRC, the whole reason that mechanic's a thing is because tribes would be easy pickings for feudal rulers without them.

because i mean. tribes are pretty easy even with a minor troop difference when sieging. not even counting armies being mostly light infantry. so heavy infantry > light infantry.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: December 18, 2016, 01:46:33 pm »

So on the topic of the thing I posted:

I've got the game, had it for a while but it never worked, but it seems they've done some optimization so now it runs smoothly meaning I can actually play. What DLC do you guys recommend?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: December 18, 2016, 01:56:04 pm »

The Republic (for playable Republics and retinues) The Old Gods (for playable Pagans and extra start dates)  Sword of Islam (playable Muslims) Charlemagne (adds tribes and even earlier start dates) Way of Life (fleshed out characters) Horse Lords (adds nomads) Conclave (makes vassals relevant) and Sons of Abraham (playable Jews and a bit more fleshed out Christianity)

I haven't got Reaper's Due, so I can't say if rampant disease is fun. Old Gods, Charlemagne, The Republic and Way of Life are mandatory, I'd say.

Rajas of India also adds playable Indian dynasties, if you like that kinda thing too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: December 18, 2016, 01:58:22 pm »

So on the topic of the thing I posted:

I've got the game, had it for a while but it never worked, but it seems they've done some optimization so now it runs smoothly meaning I can actually play. What DLC do you guys recommend?

Depends.  Most of the expansions just give you more kinds of people to play as.  Old Gods is pretty good, it allows you to play an earlier time, and unlocks pagans to play as.  Pagans tend to have a faster, more aggressive style of play, and can raid people for more dosh.

Legacy of Rome adds Retinues, which some people think is essential.  Retinues are standing armies outside of levies you can maintain.  Also makes Byzantine Rome playable.

Way of Life allows you to set a life focus for your ruler.  Each focus gives a stat boost, but also unlocks special events, which can be fun.  Also fleshes out children's education.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11395 on: December 18, 2016, 02:15:22 pm »

The Republic (for playable Republics and retinues) The Old Gods (for playable Pagans and extra start dates)  Sword of Islam (playable Muslims) Charlemagne (adds tribes and even earlier start dates) Way of Life (fleshed out characters) Horse Lords (adds nomads) Conclave (makes vassals relevant) and Sons of Abraham (playable Jews and a bit more fleshed out Christianity)

I haven't got Reaper's Due, so I can't say if rampant disease is fun. Old Gods, Charlemagne, The Republic and Way of Life are mandatory, I'd say.

Rajas of India also adds playable Indian dynasties, if you like that kinda thing too.
Legacy of Rome adds retinues. Republic is just republics. Additionally, you may want to clarify that Charlemagne adds tribal Christian rulers in Ireland and Pictland in the new start date, rather than just tribes in general.

I hear that Reaper's Due is really good, though, it's a ton more than just plagues and stuff. Like, instead of generic "maimed", now you lose an arm, or a leg, or an eye. You can now torture people instead of executing, ransoming, or releasing them, and if you execute them you get a specific description of how they're executed, including hanging, drawing, and quartering and sawing in half. Also, provinces that haven't seen turmoil in a while get "prosperity", which earns you extra taxes and the like.
Depends.  Most of the expansions just give you more kinds of people to play as.  Old Gods is pretty good, it allows you to play an earlier time, and unlocks pagans to play as.  Pagans tend to have a faster, more aggressive style of play, and can raid people for more dosh.

Legacy of Rome adds Retinues, which some people think is essential.  Retinues are standing armies outside of levies you can maintain.  Also makes Byzantine Rome playable.

Way of Life allows you to set a life focus for your ruler.  Each focus gives a stat boost, but also unlocks special events, which can be fun.  Also fleshes out children's education.
LoR just adds more stuff for Byzantine Rome and lets you form the Roman empire, and Conclave is the DLC that fleshes out education, not Way of Life.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: December 19, 2016, 08:51:47 pm »

Do you like monks?

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: December 19, 2016, 10:14:01 pm »

There better be some Old Gods mechanics to this. The Norse are way too two-dimensional right now. The focus seems to be on Christianizing the Norse, not the other way around.

I only play as Pagan, and don't give a flying squirrel about Christian mechanics, nor can I play as anyone else beside the two.

I WILL cleanse the world of Catholicism - me and my Jewish cousins. :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: December 19, 2016, 10:33:31 pm »

Have the Dharmic and/or Pagan religions been fleshed out at all since they were added?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: December 19, 2016, 11:34:31 pm »

There better be some Old Gods mechanics to this. The Norse are way too two-dimensional right now. The focus seems to be on Christianizing the Norse, not the other way around.

I only play as Pagan, and don't give a flying squirrel about Christian mechanics, nor can I play as anyone else beside the two.

I WILL cleanse the world of Catholicism - me and my Jewish cousins. :P

Yeah, I prefer to play as Pagan as well and would love to see those religions fleshed out more.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 1002