Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093520 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11325 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:32 pm »

... although I hope there's more options than always on or off.
This is my big thing. I mean I liked being a spawn of Satan (my favorite part about the whole thing was when the text Reaper's due added when your ruler dies describing your heir showed up when her father died, it simply said "Basilissa Martha - Being the child of Lucifer, Martha's reign is sure to usher in a new age of terror and despair. Long Live Basilissa Martha!"), but despite all that, there really is no direct evidence that you are actually as Lucifer's child or any of that nonsense, and that you aren't just a nasty kid who grew into a nasty adult (stranger things have happened). Sure the Possessed trait makes you do some crazy stuff but Medieval science is not exactly up-to-snuff, and a lot of it can be written off as schizophrenia or whatever. Immortal is okay too because it's so damn rare and so likely to be a fraud. I play with Supernatural stuff on, but ideally outright magic should be both a very rare occurrence or still moderately ambiguous. I guess it depends on what we see, and I remain cautiously optimistic.

I'm still focused on hoping they expand sects a lot and such. There's a lot of room in a lot of places in the game for it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: December 05, 2016, 11:00:26 pm »

A third option like "no explicitly supernatural" would be more granular, but most events in CK2 can be pretty clearly categorized as mundane or magical so it doesn't bother me.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11327 on: December 06, 2016, 05:09:15 pm »

My savegame stopped working properly. Somehow a CK2 file got deleted and it registered it as having modified the game. I verified and reacquired the file, but achievements are disabled now. Very sad. No SPQR for me.

So while playing around briefly in a couple starts, I discovered that starting as William the Conqueror is far easier than the AI seems to imply. I mean seriously, Godwin barely did anything, tried to siege down Normandy instead, got his army chased around the map, and was annihilated. He surrendered after I captured his wife, and left me to deal with Hardrada. I was expecting an epic conflict here, and yet the dude just rolls over and dies. I don't even think I'll continue the save, it was so boring. Maybe I will if I decide I want to unite France and England or something, but at the moment I was just sitting on speed five waiting for English to show up.

On a completely different note, I experienced my first game over today, as Venice. Out of five sons, the eldest died within a month or two in "suspicious circumstances", the next two died of disease, all of my spare sons and nephews got killed off by smallpox, my second-to-last one had no sons because his wife was too old and the Pope was too much of a bitch to let us divorce, and finally my last character (the only remaining grandchild of my first) lived to the ripe old age of 19 before passing from... something. I don't even know. Tell me: what is an interesting time and place to play a Mercant Republic? I'm beginning to think that 867 is too early for them, let alone Charlemagne. On a totally different topic: How might I set up a Merchant Republic somewhere else, like in Britain or Germany or something?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: December 06, 2016, 05:16:52 pm »

Huh I think my only game over was also as a Catholic merchant republic.  Not Venice, but somewhere Italian (Genoa?).  Somehow, I just ran out of male heirs...  I don't remember the details, but I'm guessing jealous mothers. 

I'd probably remember more except it was a total surprise!  I had enough trade posts that I wasn't worrying about the unlanded-male count as much as I probably should have been.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: December 06, 2016, 06:00:05 pm »

I've never had much trouble with MRs in the past, but then that was before Reaper's Due, so the death rate was rather lower.

It'd probably be easiest to play a religion that allows concubinage so you can produce more kids per life to stave off death. Harder to convert as a Republic though since you can't change capital.  :-\
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: December 06, 2016, 06:21:22 pm »

Yes.  My West African trade republic run started a bit tough, uniting the tribes and claiming coastal land for a trade capital. 
Then it became rather difficult due to the damn Ummayads, stopping me from reforming West African and declaring the republic.  But fortunately they eventually splintered (to like the 6th Shia uprising) allowing me to reform and break free into Europe.

That's the run where I went briefly Orthodox (or Cathar??) to re-establish the Roman empire, hehe.

But yes concubines help a LOT, as does raiding for capital.  It's ridic.  The multiple wives of Islam are probably about as good, and I bet the kids don't have the fratricide issues of Iqta.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: December 06, 2016, 09:17:41 pm »

On a totally different topic: How might I set up a Merchant Republic somewhere else, like in Britain or Germany or something?
Setting one up is easy, any coastal mayor that becomes a duke will found one. Unless they're already part of a merchant republic. Oh, and since a duke can't be subservient to another duke you need to at least be a king to keep them as a vassal and not just spin off an independent merchant realm.

Playing as them is tougher. You can of course just reform from tribal if you have Old Gods and you're playing as them, but otherwise I haven't heard of a clean method. There used to be a really easy way to do it, but it apparently got patched out. I know of two others involving abusing elective-style succession laws, but I'm not sure if they still work either and one requires you to be celtic.

The other involves using elective succession, making your second heir a doge, killing off your other heirs, and then dying. Like I said, not sure if it still works, and wonky to pull off.

Finally, there's a console command for it. set_government <merchant_republic_government> <[your id here]>.

I should probably run some tests on this at some point. It's a really handy thing to be able to do.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: December 07, 2016, 04:01:31 am »

I think I just had my shortest run ever. Got poisoned like 1.5 year into the game, still heirless, probably because some bastard with more intrigue than guts wasn't happy he didn't have a seat in the council, angry Conclave vassals are no joke.
Still, I'm thrilled to see which kind of moves I can push on my own liege while playing as a vassal now.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: December 07, 2016, 11:48:13 pm »

Huh, apparently adding traits and stuff mid-game screws with.... the traits. 

Enter the majority of the world becoming immortals.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: December 08, 2016, 12:29:41 am »

So... question regarding raiding.

There appear to be times when I can't raid my neighbours, and I don't understand why. I have the raiding thing set, I don't have a non-aggression pact with them, and I raided them not six months ago, after I took another one of their provinces. I wait for the various holdings to not have the "recently raided" or whatever thing, and then I'm not raiding.

Anyone know why this isn't working?

Edit: It seems to have fixed itself. Uncertain if me going to war with someone else, and them also being at war with them and thus making us mutual enemies was a solution, but okay.

This has been an issue before, though. If anyone knows why this happens I'd be quite happy to know why, as it has happened a few times before. Usually I can figure out why (non-aggression pacts, ceasefire things after a war, things like that) but sometimes it's just ???
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:47:03 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11335 on: December 08, 2016, 12:35:22 am »

Hey, I have a question. Think Crusader Kings 2 with the Warhammer mod (geheimnisnacht) would be playable on my fiance's laptop?

I don't know the specs off hand. But its not a gaming one, and kinda low end. It can watch netflix in HD without any issue. It could play my custom heavily modded Age of Empires 2 HD game that I got onto her laptop, with thousands of units on the screen and a highly populated map full of scenery...though it DID lag just a little bit, but hardly noticeable. It lagged on my machine too, so probably more the game than her laptop. And that is the only things she has used the laptop for. I think it was like a 300 or 400 dollar laptop that her mom got for her. A dell one. That is what her mom got her though lol. More than I could pay for one.

I really want to get her into some games though, and Crusader Kings 2 would be epic to get her into it. We can both play that one then, with the warhammer mod added. She likes EU4 when I play that, and I don't see why that wouldn't work. But she already has CK2 and a bunch of DLCs I bought her, and EU4 isn't on sale till later this month...and even then, couldn't afford Eu4 after all the christmas shopping anyway. So it be CK2 to start with. Plus she seemed a lot more into CK2 anyway.

I showed her the warhammer mod for it, and she really liked how it played and looked. She understood it when I told her it (CK2 and EU4 in general) were like a really complicated version of Risk, with a bit of Sims (CK2) added.

I'm just worried it will lag like hell on her. I don't see it being the most intensive game out there of course, but it isn't a laptop made for gaming. I know AOE2 works, but CK2 can be intensive on really low end machines. But it would be way more fun for both of us to play than AOE. That and she kinda got bored really quick in AOE 2 :P she never got that into it. she was really confused by a lot of the menus and all the keys to press. Got the hang of CK2 a lot easier weirdly enough.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:52:57 am by Kazagarth »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: December 08, 2016, 01:06:41 am »

I first played CKII on my wife's non-gaming laptop, about two years ago. She had bought it for school at least four years prior to that.

It didn't run particularly quickly, but it was playable. At least 'til later in the game when things big down a bit... I can't remember the specs of that off-hand, and it has since entered the end stages of its life so a I can't look, but it worked heh.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: December 08, 2016, 01:15:11 am »

I first played CKII on my wife's non-gaming laptop, about two years ago. She had bought it for school at least four years prior to that.

It didn't run particularly quickly, but it was playable. At least 'til later in the game when things big down a bit... I can't remember the specs of that off-hand, and it has since entered the end stages of its life so a I can't look, but it worked heh.

That is good to know! While you don't have the specs, my fiance's laptop should play it at least then, even if it might lag a bit. Plus hers is newer (she got it earlier this year), so technically I guess should be better because its more modern. But she isn't home, so I can't actually see the specs of it. Just only the comparison of what she does on it.

Its not like a crappy laptop, just not that great. Still a nice gift for free.

The reason I asked, is because I actually was planning to buy her a couple more DLCs as a surprise and get things kinda setup so we can both play. Just was kinda worried maybe the game wouldn't be playable. She already played normal CK2 a lot on my PC, and she was really into it. But she likes playing games together.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: December 08, 2016, 01:20:23 am »

I play CKII on an old-ass i3 HP laptop that overheats constantly, so you're fine heh
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: December 08, 2016, 01:36:17 am »

Hey, I have a question. Think Crusader Kings 2 with the Warhammer mod (geheimnisnacht) would be playable on my fiance's laptop?

It should be playable but depending on the laptop it might lag a bit.  (EU4 is more demanding.)  I used to play on a core2duo with 2gb of ram and it did slowdown quite a bit in the later game.

Keeping the speed low helps and you can also turn off some of the graphics extras by editing setting.txt (documents folder where your savegames folder lives).  I used to use:

draw_terrain=yes
draw_water=yes
draw_borders=yes
draw_trees=no
draw_rivers=yes
draw_postfx=no
draw_sky=no
draw_bloom=no
draw_tooltips=yes
draw_hires_terrain=no
draw_citysprawl=no

which helped a fair bit.  Turning off draw_trees is a fairly common performance recommendation.  One of them, draw_citysprawl, from memory, loses some of the graphics you might want (the construction animations, for example) and turning draw_water off looks so bad its just not worth it, imo.  You might not need this but something to try if lag is bothersome.   :)
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 1002