Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093331 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11235 on: November 20, 2016, 10:14:47 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but I have to ask: can I force a tribal vassal to become feudal? If so, how do I do it? Additionally, how do I get rid of a vassal merchant republic?

My current character's grandfather conquered a bunch of pagans in his quest to unite Scandinavia under one flag, then handed the tribes off to claimants and yes-men, but now their grandkids hate me because they have the wrong government type; similarly, I don't mind the one merchant republic I stole from Sweden a couple generations ago--trade posts and whatnot--but I accidentally got two of them when my current character's grandfather handed a mayor a duchy, and now I want one of them gone because they also have pretty touchy relations with the kingdom and bribing them to drop plots and leave factions is frustratingly expensive.

The CKII wiki implies I can do this by changing which part of a county is its capital, but I don't want to test this kind of thing out myself for fear of somehow wrecking my carefully-built empire-in-progress.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11236 on: November 21, 2016, 05:35:35 am »

The only way to make a tribal go feudal is to upgrade their primary holding until it has a Stone Hillfort and making sure they have the same religion as you. Once they meet those criteria they should upgrade sooner or later.

Dealing with Republics is a bit harder, you need to revoke the mayor's titles, killing him will just pass them to a new mayor, then you need to grant each county they have to a Baron from the same county or change the county capital manually to a castle before you hand it to an unlanded vassal.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11237 on: November 21, 2016, 10:14:37 am »

I wouldn't go as far to say witch trials were largely Protestant. From what I understood close to equal numbers were done by both groups. Yeah, the Catholic Church was pretty opposed to witch burning in CKII era, which is one reason I'm happy its rarely in the game. The only time I've had someone accused of being a witch was the demon child event. But while the Malleus Maleficarum was the subject of a papal bull, Catholic nations did have witch trials too, especially France and Germany. Like you said, Germany's witch trials outstripped everyone else, but from what I understood the only places where it wasn't a big phenomenon was England (with a few exceptions), Ireland, and Spain.

But back on topic, I really hope they do more neat stuff with some of the current Christian heresies. I started a game as a Duke of Wessex who went Lollard and have managed to form the empire of Britannia, but other than converting all my provinces to Lollard and holy warring Catholics, there's not a lot of stuff to do with the heresy.
I have been told by a classicist that the belief at the time was that: One who decries the use of magic or denies its existence; can not believe in god, for is he not a magical being?
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11238 on: November 21, 2016, 11:43:13 am »

Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me? Most of the contemporary criticisms of 16th and 17th century witch-burning never contested the existence of magic, instead they condemned the practice for it being, well, a witch-hunt. Also, define "that time".
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: November 21, 2016, 12:43:23 pm »

Sorry for interrupting your arguing, but I have a question. Shall I buy Conclave or pretend that it doesn't exist? It just happened to be most loathed DLC for Crusader Kings 2, and I'm unsure if I should buy it.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: November 21, 2016, 01:15:37 pm »

Honestly, it makes playing a vassal and liege more fun. The complaints mainly came from when the initial patch made factions to enforce elective monarchy + council privileges really widespread. Though the problem only really ends up happening in vanilla, and most people use CK2+ or HIP, so if you're playing either, it's basically a big plus.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: November 21, 2016, 02:31:00 pm »

I'm playing vanilla, 'cause I'm not experienced enough, and I played only two campaigns, one long and one short. First was the count of Dublin, but my savegame got corrupted, and my biggest achievement was becoming king of Ireland and Scotland. Second game was designed duke of Toulouse to look at gameplay as a vassal. Don't remember what happened to my second game, however.

BTW, do you recommend HIP mod to not very skilled players like me?

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11242 on: November 21, 2016, 02:41:35 pm »

Probably not. You'd have to look into it yourself, but to be honest CK2+ is the easiest full conversion mod to get into without being overwhelmed. For one, it makes playing a muslim lest infuriating as it makes Decadence go away and replaces it with traits that'll only come about if you have decadent relatives in your realm.

But if you want to take a bit of time to get used to the game, go vanilla. I can't say what'd be best for you without you trying them.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: November 21, 2016, 02:51:05 pm »

Does that mean that Conclave DLC doesn't worth it without HIP or CK2+? But again, Steam sale will arrive on November 23, so I expect at least 50% discount.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11244 on: November 21, 2016, 03:00:00 pm »

Meh. Honestly, the big features are that it makes the council much more interesting. You get favors, you can appoint people who aren't the best and have a genuine fuck up as a councillor because he's your most powerful vassal, you can force your liege to implement certain laws through favors, etc. Again, you'll have to look it up. While I say it's recommended, I might not have the same tastes as you. All on you.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: November 21, 2016, 03:20:20 pm »

and most people use CK2+ or HIP

[citation needed]

I'd recommend Conclave in vanilla just as well. The Council and Favor system improve vassal-liege relationships and makes those on your council more active/interesting from a roleplaying perspective. If you're short on cash, I'd skip it, but it's a good addition.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: November 21, 2016, 03:45:38 pm »

Conclave is, I think, meant to represent the power and rights that major vassals would have had in a realm.

I mention this because it seemed really odd when I started out as a count.  I had a mayor as my diplomat and a priest as a court chaplain, and the entire rest of my council was courtiers.  It seemed unlikely that what are basically random dudes would be asking their liege for the right to prevent him from imprisoning people.

Made a lot more sense when I became king.  Of course the duke who controls a quarter of the realm gets a say in its affairs.  I value his opinion as much as his levies...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11247 on: November 21, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »

So, Pyrodesu and I are playing a multiplayer game.

He's Suomenusko pagan, and I began as Svithjod.

I've founded the kingdom of Sweden and now own about 67% of the empire of Scandinavia - since he owns a chunk of finland and the Novgorodian area, and has agreed to become my vassal.

...Only 18-19 years have passed in-game. We're using the Charlemagne start in the 700s. Its FUN!

West Francia owns most of Europe :| I've never seen them grow so big, its insane. Thankfully they'll shatter when the king dies, but the bastard is still pretty young.

Starting to worry about a future crusade against us...

Will be reforming the norse faith in the next few years, if I can get my damn % to 50 after Norse Saxony was invaded and their nobles force converted.

In other news, they're fighting some sort of small war to the south, so I'm taking advantage and growing rich by looting their coastal temples. +% to faith score, and GOOOOOLD!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11248 on: November 21, 2016, 05:22:57 pm »

With conclave I ended up with most all my vassals being "powerful", and all of them demanded council positions.  Unfortunately for me, none of those powerful vassals actually had good stats for those council positions.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: November 21, 2016, 05:34:38 pm »

Yeah, that's a thing you have to manage tbh. Not all medieval kingdoms were meritocracies :P

I mean, having to put up with a crap steward for a few years versus having a perfect council. I'd take the former because it makes the game feel more realistic. Less 'This landless courtier who has no prestige and no defining traits is given the spymaster position over a landed duke.'
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1002