Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092404 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10980 on: September 07, 2016, 05:57:07 am »

Þþ says th as in bath, and Ðð says th as in bathe

As one of the official forum Swedes, I pronounce both baths the same, therefore it is irrelevant. Thorns and Eths and Tees and Dees and Pees for everyone!

It is an unfortunate fact of the universe that Cruxador is more Norse. Always.
Don't be an ass. If you intend to insult me, you might as well be straightforward about it.

Now that. That is an insult to my honour.
Love, scriver~

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: September 07, 2016, 11:11:14 am »

I think I may have a new all-time favorite character experience

Allow me to share with you the story of Empress Elaiodora Makedon of the Imperium Romanum.

Elaiodora was never meant to be Empress. She was born to Emperor Markos II Makedon, son of Emperor Pamphilios the Glorious, restorer of the Roman Empire. She was born with a clubfoot, an unattractive and near-crippling disability in medieval times. However, she was a few minutes older than her twin sister, Euphemia, so she was the Heir to the Roman Empire.

Markos tried desperately to have a son, but only had another daughter, Aikaterine, before dying of pneumonia at 40. Elaiodora took the purple throne at the tender age of 8.

This is the point where I bit the bullet and accepted my fate.

Her early years were marked by a massive independence revolt headed by the Doux of Tunis and joined by the Despotate of Italy, the Prince-Archbishop of Alexandria, and the Prince-Archbishop of Jerusalem. It was a long and bitter struggle, and the Caliph of the Abbasids took this as the perfect time to invade the breakaway states in Jerusalem. Elaiodora and her Regent, the Baron of Blachernae, fought the rebels to 50% warscore and pushed the Caliph's occupation force out of Jerusalem while the Caliph was distracted in Bulgaria (Abbys took like half the steppes in my game, it's nuts). However, the throne was bled dry by this, loans from the Jews being barely enough to keep the army afloat for another month. Reluctantly, Elaiodora forced white peace. The war had raged for 5 years.

Just before her 16th birthday, Elaiodora discovered she was gay. This is the point where I said "Fuck it, let's make the clubfooted lesbian the best ruler Rome has ever seen."

Elaiodora was a Charismatic Negotiator who was >8 in almost all stats. She had excellent diplo and decent intrigue, stewardship, and martial. Despite furiously plotting to Kill anyone leading a faction, another war for independence broke out two years after Elaiodora turned sixteen. This one we were able to force to surrender, crushing the Doux of Antioch and his allies, the Despot of Italy and Douxes of Tunis amd Achaia. Elaiodora imprisoned everyone, revoked all their titles, handed them out to their former vassals, and cut their balls off (gaining Cruel in the process). Ain't nobody was gonna fuck with her.

This was a turning point in vassal administration of the Empire. This was the first point in time when Viceroyalties were available after a long while of camping technology. Elaiodora was finally able to end the Karling and Guideschi control of the Despotate of Italy. It was also the beginning of converting all feudal duchies in the Empire to viceroyalties.

Elaiodora then murdered her twin sister that hated her, married her other sister to the King of Frisia, and seduced some French Baron's sister named Julienne d'Este. They would remain lovers for life. To get heirs, she matri-married the bastard son of the King of Pannonia.

Revolts were near-constant, almost every ten years, despite the realm's mercenaries, snakes, and manure and Elaiodora's spymaster working overtime murdering and scheming, respectively. Every time a revolt broke out, the offenders were imprisoned, had their titles revoked and passed out as viceroyalties, and had their balls chopped off. Once, some random count got Elaiodora's daughter pregnant and gave her herpes. So, she excommunicated him, threw him in the Oubliette for a while, blinded him, cut his balls off, and finally executed him. The bastard child, she let him live. It's not his fault. See, she can be reasonable.

Her reign was mostly marked by her success in domestic affairs, expanding the viceroyalties and preventing rebellion and dissent through brutal murder. However, she did lead two successful wars, taking the Duchy of Ascalon from the Abbasid and taking the Duchy of Moesia back from the Bulgars. Speaking of wars, she made friends with the Carousing focus Captain of the Varangian Guard. At one of his pretty-much-constant Carousing parties, the board games came out, and Elaiodora soon became a Game Master. Captain Kettlemund kept spamming parties, and Elaiodora kept attending. None dared to disturb the Imperial Warhammer Night.

TL;DR: Murderous clubfooted lesbian Roman Empress cuts people's balls off, removes kebab, fucks women, passes civil reform, and plays medieval Warhammer all the time.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: September 07, 2016, 04:40:57 pm »

Today has seen a most blasphemous and unholy union.

The Roman Emperor's sons have been educated by the heathen Aztecs and returned to inherit their father's throne.

Not content to stop there the empires of Rome and the Aztec invaders have been united, and the pagan faith reformed upon the ashes of the Vatican, the temples of Cordoba and of Paris.

It will be a tumultuous time for the young emperor, but if he can hold his vassals firmly under his thrall then little, if anything, will be able to oppose the might of Rome under the demon gods of the West.

EDIT: A fairly large rebellion, led by the Duchess of Antioch but with most of the troops coming from the former Aztec emperor, rose up against the 13 year old emperor. 12000 warriors from the vassal kings of Persia and Mesopotamia quickly secured Antioch while the Varangian guard, the retinue of the Emperor and the levies of Greece and Italy rushed to deal with armies near the capital.

Not long after Antioch had been seized the Duchess offered surrender, though the war was only marginally in my favour. She was released after converting to the new faith of Rome, but the former Emperor Atl was sacrificed to the gods, his vast army of Aztec conquerors finally pledging allegiance to the child-Emperor.

Kind of curious about why the rebels surrendered at a mere 20% warscore, I have to assume it was something to do with me holding all the leader's personal territory. Regardless I am now more or less unassailable. I control the Roman and Aztec empire titles, have a reformed pagan faith and over 100k event troops.

EDIT2: The mongols are coming. This should be interesting.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:38:35 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10983 on: September 07, 2016, 07:22:03 pm »

So.. I had a duke (Well high chief) who was court physician, he apparently got sick and tried to treat himself and botched it, so he comes to me and tells me to throw himself into the dungeon. 
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: September 07, 2016, 07:30:13 pm »

If he didn't have the "honest" trait before, hopefully he received it.
Or "lunatic" but that applies to most AI characters
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: September 07, 2016, 07:32:51 pm »

Has anyone managed to personally become a court physician yet?

I'm wondering if they have events for you to do.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: September 07, 2016, 07:35:58 pm »

I started a Duke of Flanders game in the charlemange start.  First time using Conclave and Reaper's Due.  West Francia ate middle fracia fairly early on, every now and again we fight the umyadds down south, but we don't gain much ground.  I started as a 50 year old guy with no wife nor any heir.  First wife had a daughter before succumbing to cancer.  Got an even younger wife who was sick but got cured by sailor!doctor.  King Karl or whomever is in charge gave me two vassels for free, one of them this asshole prince bishop I can't get rid of, the other a double count.  The duke of Flanders died of chest pains (consumption) and left his only 3 year old daughter in charge.

Is there any way to know what my liege's counsel is deciding on?  I was his steward, and other counsel members would ask me for my vote, but when they ask I don't know what they're trying to do.

My counsel is a mess.  I have 4-5 "powerful vassals" that demand counsel seats but have awful stats, I could do better with the not powerful vassals.  It doesn't help that they have a lot of control under a regency, and really dislike being ruled by a tiny girl.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: September 07, 2016, 10:07:48 pm »

Purge them in flames.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: September 08, 2016, 02:20:21 am »

So, I tried a reign of tyranny in my unreformed pagan lands and although landed vassals and my courtiers were easy to get rid of, the damn temple seems impossible to claim for the main character, new guys always take the place of the old priest seemingly out of nowhere and refill their courts. Says open elective and I'm not entirely sure what's that all about, can I influence who is the next in line for the temple ? The info on that doesn't seem to indicate who's next so I cant figure out why that particular character is chosen.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:22:25 am by Mookzen »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: September 08, 2016, 02:24:46 am »

You may be doomed. Open Elective is the government type used for Theocracies and Republics (not Merchant Republics), and it selects a random noble to inherent without considering blood ties. Presumably either you're getting these people from the temple's court, or the game is generating nobles because those are all dead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10990 on: September 08, 2016, 03:00:35 am »

I believe your options ate to either press a claim on the title itself or revoke it directly.
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: September 08, 2016, 03:07:00 am »

Or manufacture evidence against the owner and imprison them.

But with the reign of tyranny you've got going, straight-up revocation works.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: September 08, 2016, 01:18:05 pm »

It was an experimental thing really, its not a serious game. Well, don't have the tech for revocation at the start, and I'm pretty sure that the next random priest will take his place anyway. Just wanted to know whether I can get someone of my choosing in that seat but maybe not. Going to try to fabricate a claim. Seems to be no pattern for the courtiers chosen for the position though. I guess my best bet would just be to keep the guy as happy as I can. Reason for the whole thing is tax basically, in pagan lands money is hard to come by and that temple makes a good chunk that I can't easily get my hands on.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:15:39 pm by Mookzen »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: September 08, 2016, 02:45:07 pm »

It was an experimental thing really, its not a serious game. Well, don't have the tech for revocation at the start, and I'm pretty sure that the next random priest will take his place anyway. Just wanted to know whether I can get someone of my choosing in that seat but maybe not. Going to try to fabricate a claim. Seems to be no pattern for the courtiers chosen for the position though. I guess my best bet would just be to keep the guy as happy as I can. Reason for the whole thing is tax basically, in pagan lands money is hard to come by and that temple makes a good chunk that I can't easily get my hands on.
I believe for pagans, the inheritance for temples is just spawning random people.

Anyway, since you don't have the proper government / tech for revocation and obviously you don't have free investiture, what you can probably end up doing is (since you're already being tyrannical):

1. Imprison all the priests.
2. For those that rebel, welcome your free banishment. This replaces them with a guy that is apathetic towards you, so you won't have to worry about tyranny score.
3. For those that don't, throw them in the oubliette. Hopefully they die and you get the new dude.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: September 08, 2016, 03:10:51 pm »

I believe for pagans, the inheritance for temples is just spawning random people.

Yep. Not just pagans, though. ALL courts will spawn random courtiers if empty.
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1002