Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092463 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10950 on: September 05, 2016, 05:07:31 pm »

It's official, I love the pope in the base start, not only did he give me enough money to properly counquer England as William, he also helped me counquer France with actual troops from rome
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10951 on: September 05, 2016, 06:01:17 pm »

Yeah, the Pope can be really helpful if you meet the right conditions. Unlike say, M2 Total War.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: September 05, 2016, 06:19:14 pm »

Yeah, the Pope can be really helpful if you meet the right conditions. Unlike say, M2 Total War.

"STOP ATTACKING YOUR FELLOW CHRISTIANS!!!" Pope Anotheroneicus MCCXXXIV shouted as his entourage of twenty-something peasants was surrounded by the English Army.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10953 on: September 05, 2016, 06:32:14 pm »

"STOP ATTACKING YOUR FELLOW CHRISTIANS!!!" Pope Anotheroneicus MCCXXXIV shouted as his entourage of twenty-something peasants was surrounded by the English Army.
No it was worse than that.

You get backstabbed by your ally and one of your cities is occupied. You lay siege to it to get it back. In the turn exactly before you launch the siege battle, the pope tells you to stop attacking your fellow christians and threatens with excommunication if you refuse. You refuse. Next turn, a crusade is called on you.

That said, asshole popes were one of the reasons M:TW2 was great.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10954 on: September 05, 2016, 06:49:48 pm »

You get backstabbed by your ally and one of your cities is occupied. You lay siege to it to get it back. In the turn exactly before you launch the siege battle, the pope tells you to stop attacking your fellow christians and threatens with excommunication if you refuse. You refuse. Next turn, a crusade is called on you.

Or the time I was invaded by France, the Pope did nothing, I sent an army to attack the French army, and the Pope screamed at me. I had to let the French freely attack me for ten turns until they got excommunicated.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not salty.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: September 05, 2016, 08:37:29 pm »

Well he did just call a crusade on me for France, cuz i decided that being a Cathar would be a nice change of pace. at least it's better then this neverending Sunni Jihad I'm fighting against. This is turning out more interesting then when I inherited the Papacy pre Rajas.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: September 05, 2016, 11:35:15 pm »

Interestingly, I think the game gets kinda funky when your amounts start going into the millions.

For example, I had around 1.5 million wealth.

I got the event where I caught my Darik-Pat stealing money. ("Khan Kutan did not think I would notice a few coins missing" event)

I made him pay me back.

I now have 4 million wealth.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10957 on: September 05, 2016, 11:56:21 pm »

Or the time I was invaded by France, the Pope did nothing, I sent an army to attack the French army, and the Pope screamed at me. I had to let the French freely attack me for ten turns until they got excommunicated.

I'm not salty.
The Pope in Castles 2:  Siege and Conquest is like this.  Basically the Pope gets annoyed if you attack someone he likes...  Even if you're counter-attacking.  He doesn't actually *explain* this, in fact it's easy to miss your plummeting relationship until he's suddenly making ultimatums or skipping straight to excommunication (which crashes your economy and makes diplomacy impossible). 

Though if you pay enough exorbitant ties to be favored, this can work in your favor too.  It's just rough since you can't magically *know* who the Pope likes.  Fog of war is a big factor in the game...  Basically you pay time and resources to call a "council" of the factions, which gives you the current status.  Similarly, the world map doesn't actually update itself.  You have to send scouts to determine a county's current owner.

It's even possible to scout a county, find that it's controlled by your enemy, and spend the time and resources to initiate an attack...  Only for your army to arrive and ask "Duh hey, this is Papal land now..."  Fortunately you can call off the attack with no hard feelings, but it's time not spent training more troops.

I wonder if Paradox'll ever reduce the amount of 100% reliable information we have on literally every noble in the world.
Macebook OP pls nerf
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10958 on: September 06, 2016, 12:05:41 am »

From what I've seen of Paradox, no. They prefer their players to have Perfect Information, given in most interecations, you can instantly know before asking whether a person will agree to something, and why, whereas the AI just does it and has to live with the consequences if the other person disagrees. Imagine if you just had to guess whether someone would be willing to join a plot (virtuous people would report you, ammoral people would say no but not take any other action, etc). That would actually be a good basis for buffing plots: you could afford to make them a lot stronger if actually setting up a plot required not getting found out, instead of the current system whichis basically an altar to the Random Number God
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: September 06, 2016, 01:09:28 am »

Interestingly, I think the game gets kinda funky when your amounts start going into the millions.

I got the event where I caught my Darik-Pat stealing money. ("Khan Kutan did not think I would notice a few coins missing" event)

I made him pay me back.

Regarding your first sentence, it has nothing to do with your wealth, unfortunately. That event just gives you every single gold the steward has. If they're a landowner, that obviously includes a fair amount that didn't come from your treasure.
Love, scriver~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10960 on: September 06, 2016, 02:26:25 am »

I made him pay me back.

Regarding your first sentence, it has nothing to do with your wealth, unfortunately. That event just gives you every single gold the steward has. If they're a landowner, that obviously includes a fair amount that didn't come from your treasure.
My vassals don't have 2.5 million gold sitting around, dude.

-----

The latest news for the immortal, blind, infirm, phantom pained, tumorous, lunatic, hedonist Khagan.

He beat cancer! Again! Somehow! It just kinda went away. Probably got bored since it couldn't do anything for... uhh... a hundred years? 200 years?

And here's the current World Consumption map:

I wonder if he'll be able to raze every single city before the game ends. His armies are munching through England right now and all kinds of holy wars are being declared on India.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: September 06, 2016, 07:56:51 am »

After starting as a count and usurping the throne of Mercia, I decided to press my Wessex claim. Before declaring war, I check on my rival's alliances. He's buddies with the king of France. Excellent.

But when I looked at France, expecting to see a Big Blue Blob, I instead see a France half the size of rival Middle Francia. It's a c, right? It's been a few days and I forget how it's supposed to be spelled sometimes.

Anyway, I had an of-age daughter, and the king of Middle Franceland had a son looking to marry. And so our children married, we were good friends immediately, and we formed an alliance at the wedding.

With this alliance I declare war, and our allies follow suit. England and France tumble into all-out war between various rivals looking for an opportunity to ruin their enemies. While besieging most of Wessex, the French troops came ashore and prepared to push us back when the Middle Baguettes landed as well and fought them off. both marauding armies stomped across England.

And since the French kingdoms were filthy with Slow Fever and Consumption, the armies seemed to have brought it with them, inadvertently killing more people than the war or any wars before it.

I'm really liking Reaper's Due. It's funny to think that a game has a massive update based primarily on illnesses and diseases. Not many games increase their base difficulty nowadays.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10962 on: September 06, 2016, 11:08:49 am »

I have no words for that. Because ooooh boy that is. That is interesting. Yeah, I'll just be here with my family trees that don't have that. At least until I decide to play a messalian or zoroastrian character :P
Slightly off topic, but does it bother anyone else how totally not historical the portrayal of Messalians is?

I think so. I thought it went on for longer.
If you do the math, it's the longest that can be managed in a human lifespan, and even then you're really stretching things.

Svipjod
If you don't have the right button on your keyboard, use what sounds like it, not what looks like it. So Svithjod.
In case you didn't know, Žž says th as in bath, and Šš says th as in bathe (or dh as in Sidhe).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10963 on: September 06, 2016, 11:32:23 am »

I have no words for that. Because ooooh boy that is. That is interesting. Yeah, I'll just be here with my family trees that don't have that. At least until I decide to play a messalian or zoroastrian character :P
Slightly off topic, but does it bother anyone else how totally not historical the portrayal of Messalians is?
The thing is that there is basically no information on Messalianism aside from what their detractors said about them. So instead of having yet another completely generic christian heresy, Paradox decided to base it around the slander itself.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10964 on: September 06, 2016, 11:40:13 am »

I've received my first treatment in Reaper's due. My Physician was a drunken brahmin with a score of 26 in learning named Uluku known locally to heal everyone he touched. My noble got pneumonia and Uluku called it pretty much off the bat when the first symptom appeared. He offered me the good old treatment but being brave I insisted to get a more expedient one. I learned two things from the experience. First the informed part of informed consent was sorely lacking during the 8th century and you can cure pneumonia by removing the face of someone afflicted by it.

During my sickness I've decided to push a claim just in case that I would died. The war was won, but then I needed to create a duchy title to avoid the effect of gavelkind. That was complicated by the fact that I had a bad infection fellowing the face removal surgery. The thing actually stayed at least one year and a half before it was gone. Once the infection beated, I had enough money to create the ducal title then shortly after I died in an "accident".

I'm inclined to believe that Uluku truly had a healing touch since no one has died of a disease in my court.

Also because of Reaper's Due the Lombard crown will be integrate by West Francia at the death of Charlemagne if nothing changes. The Lombard king Desiderius died from an illness, his only son died at 20 from an infection then the crown passed up to Charlemagne's wife who died from food poisoning and so the king of Lombardy is a Frankish boy heir to the crown of West Francia.
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1002