Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090501 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10740 on: August 19, 2016, 04:46:04 am »

So I tried my hand at tribal, Lithuania specifically, and am doing pretty well. Then suddenly a guy declares war on me and I'm like "ok, this is what the 500 prestige I saved up is for, SUMMON THE HORDE!". But then he calls in a feudal king ally who has an army of 2k heavy infantry and it's just instant defeat. I found it a bit bullshit that tribal wars swing heavily based on outside alliances so I try and create my own bullshit and find there is a huge negative penalty for forming marriages with pagans for othodox. So here I am wondering how the AI got around this because sucking up to a king did not seem to be enough to get him to agree to a marriage.

Maybe the feudal king was his tributary? Or that they were orthodox when that alliance/marriage was made? Or - granted, I don't think the AI does this, but I have - they kidnapped the feudal lord's daughter and married them?

You should do the last, anyway, though I'm not sure if the AI will agree to that kind of alliance. Should get you a non-aggression pact, at least.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: August 19, 2016, 08:54:54 am »

Ok I looked into it more and only found one connection. The feudal king was king of Georgia, and the tribal leader is married to an orthodox Russian woman. There is no family connection between them. I am stuck, I have no idea how they can form an alliance without a marriage, or how to check what caused the alliance.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: August 19, 2016, 09:12:32 am »

If it wasn't a marriage alliance, then it was a non-aggression pact->alliance. I have no idea how easy that is between religions, haven't played pagan in a while.

EDIT: Wait, no, you'd still need a connection, right? I have no idea then.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:14:25 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: August 19, 2016, 09:25:56 am »

Ok I looked into it more and only found one connection. The feudal king was king of Georgia, and the tribal leader is married to an orthodox Russian woman. There is no family connection between them. I am stuck, I have no idea how they can form an alliance without a marriage, or how to check what caused the alliance.

Is there no family connection on their generation, or no family connection in their dynastic history?  I know the latter can allow for an alliance as well.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: August 19, 2016, 10:47:44 am »

No, they just have a history of marrying Russian orthodox women. I can't find a connection family wise. And apparently they are able to constantly call Georgia in through multiple generations. This family has declared nonstop wars using Georgia's (And other very large surrounding tribal groups) armies to just repeatedly curb stomp any opposition. However he doesn't seem to have any threat and his vassals all like him??? Ruining my game.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: August 19, 2016, 11:25:56 am »

If he rules an orthodox country then randomly generated characters can spawn as Orthodox in their court.

I think it sounds like the king is a tributary of his, though.
Love, scriver~

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: August 19, 2016, 11:56:33 am »

That word rings a bell, but I don't recall Georgia ever laying siege to the guy's lands. How would I check this, and would they still appear blue int he diplomacy screen if one was a tributary?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: August 19, 2016, 12:04:13 pm »

That word rings a bell, but I don't recall Georgia ever laying siege to the guy's lands. How would I check this, and would they still appear blue int he diplomacy screen if one was a tributary?
Tributaries appear in the little Allies (or whatever it is called. Pacts?) tab in the character menu, next to family, friends and so on.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: August 23, 2016, 06:01:38 pm »

Started a new game using the Ancient Religions Reborn mod and the Rise of Islam mod, as well as a smattering of other little ones.

Decided to start as a pagan king of Pictland trying to reconquer the Isles for the celts. Succeeded in fairly short order. Conquering Ireland gave me a huge power boost early on and made it really easy to zerg rush the rest of the Isles with tribal armies.

Currently sitting as a reformed Celtic tribal Emperor of Alba (Britain) and trying to decide how best to proceed from here. I fabricated a claim on a Norwegian county and then rapidly took a duchy from the norse pagans, and the vassal I put in charge of Ireland conquered Brittany. I want to keep fighting the Norse, but the only one I border has five counties and my threat hit 100% shortly after becoming emperor, so trying to seize their lands is likely to end in failure, or at the very least frustration, and the RoI version of Frankia is more than able to match my pagan hordes in numbers and has heavy infantry and cavalry where I don't.

I could sit and wait for awhile, try to press on into Scandinavia, or seek to establish a foothold somewhere that people do not fear the fury of the Picts.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10749 on: August 24, 2016, 04:46:59 am »

What if you try marrying your way into Francia?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: August 24, 2016, 06:20:45 am »

What if you try marrying your way into Francia?

Since they're a catholic and I'm a pagan that's tricky to do, and would disrupt my Pictish mono-culture. I could get a claim on the various kingdoms of central Europe by kidnapping or inviting with Favours members of the royal family and marrying them to my myriad offspring, but that would still leave me with a huge war to fight and a lot of foreigners to remove from power or convert.

As is I decided to blitz my way deeper into Norway using my retinue of raiders, two bands of celtic mercenaries and two holy orders all from the mod and a couple of which are my vassals. Managed to capture another duchy and a county, but even with a potent force I still got rather badly mauled and need time to recover.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: August 24, 2016, 07:06:41 am »

So you can become immortal in the new DLC thingy and if you are immortal woman before menopause, you can pump out babies endlessly. I wonder if you could populate the whole world with your dynasty that way, slowly killing and usurping everyone else.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10752 on: August 24, 2016, 08:29:09 am »

So you can become immortal in the new DLC thingy and if you are immortal woman before menopause, you can pump out babies endlessly. I wonder if you could populate the whole world with your dynasty that way, slowly killing and usurping everyone else.
In one of my Miroslav runs I had 21,000 people who could directly trace their ancestry back to the first Miroslav, and everyone in the world was directly descended from the first Miroslav

All the governments and religions from bottom up were assimilated too, even the Mongols
Definitely doable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: August 24, 2016, 09:32:27 am »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: August 24, 2016, 09:59:55 am »

I feel like the 'Opinion of Predecessor' modifier can get a little... wonky, sometimes. Case in point, I managed to rack up at least -400 opinion with my wife by cheating on her, which then proceeded to transfer as a hefty modifier to my son and, well...

Spoiler: what a loving mother (click to show/hide)

I guess he just reminds her of his bastard father too much to deal with. Poor woman.
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1002