Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092321 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10245 on: April 03, 2016, 02:53:03 am »

Fuck! I didn't live long enough to install gravelkind succession back, so now I'm down to two titles. Empire and county. Something tells me I'm not going to have empire for very long.

At least it's not barony this time, so maybe there'll be continuity.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10246 on: April 03, 2016, 06:49:33 am »

You wont lose the empire, if the inheritance is split you will play as the character with the higher tier title.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10247 on: April 03, 2016, 06:58:09 am »

I didn't lose the empire, but last time it happened, I lost it because while I had 500 levy in my new demesne, My king-vassal had 11K and he said he would very much like to be emperor himself.

That said, I just simply rage-resigned after succeding with one country, I could manage because this time there were four kings without such imbalance, but still, I lost my technologically advanced, fully pimped out duchy as well as two merchant republics and all other sources of income.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10248 on: April 03, 2016, 09:50:00 am »

Defensive pacts are making it much harder to OMGBLOB across all of Eurasia as Golden Horde.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10249 on: April 03, 2016, 10:01:46 am »

Pacts are only a threat if you are medium-sized. Once you blob hard enough you can be like the Abbasids and just roll over any pacts that might arise.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10250 on: April 03, 2016, 02:37:17 pm »

I don't know why it took so long, but after all these years I finally got this:

---------

I decided to take a different approach into getting the seven centuries achievement. Normally I never finish a game all the way from Charlemange because I get so bloody strong it becomes so boring past a certain point. So this time I thought I'd take it slow and be a very loyal vassal to a king without trying to mutiny. Also I happen to be Lombard, because I decided to get the Iron Crown achievement at the same time.

So anyway, for the past 100 years or so I've been chilling under the yoke of Lombardy. The first generation we got along pretty well. I mean, I just so happened to take over Rome and a few other counties but hey, the Pope was practically begging for it. So the Papacy is homeless now but that doesn't seem to affect Christianity at all. At one point the king and I got along so well he actually gave me a county and a barony because he liked me so much. Then a few rulers later and now no matter how much I try to make the king like me, he really hates me for some reason.

So I spend so much time begging for favors and the like just to prevent the king from passing laws that will screw me over. I'm constantly trying to arrange alliances with the other dukes in the kingdom of Lombardy. I got so royally angry when not one but two of my daughters ran away with mercenaries as they were the key to securing alliances with Genoa and Benevento.

I'd forgotten how amusing CK2 is when you're not trying to powergame. I have to keep reminding myself I'm supposed to be a loyal vassal and not trying to usurp power.

---------

I also downloaded the mod called More Executions which does exactly as it says. It feels so good to finally have some way to inflict pain on those who piss you off. One of my daughters who got seduced by a filthy Muslim heathen, I repeatedly drowned her until I got tired of it... then I flayed her skin with a knife.

"You were the key binding us with the loyal Amalfi clan! They helped us in our deposing of the Pope's hegemony on Rome! And you betrayed us! Humiliated us!"

Speaking of which, I really like how alliances work now. It's nice having reliable friends. When Amalfi sent 500 men to assist my 800 against Pope Innocent II, I actually sent them a large gift in thanks.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10251 on: April 04, 2016, 10:10:32 am »

Pacts are only a threat if you are medium-sized. Once you blob hard enough you can be like the Abbasids and just roll over any pacts that might arise.

Yep. Playing Golden Horde, I declared war on Bulgaria with the Invasion of Bulgaria CB. All of Christendom east of Germany threw themselves at me. Poland, Hungary, the Teutonic Knights, Sweden, the tattered remains of the Byzantine Empire... It wasn't enough. It was like World War Mongol, and the Mongols won.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10252 on: April 04, 2016, 10:13:50 am »

Yep. Playing Golden Horde, I declared war on Bulgaria with the Invasion of Bulgaria CB. All of Christendom east of Germany threw themselves at me. Poland, Hungary, the Teutonic Knights, Sweden, the tattered remains of the Byzantine Empire... It wasn't enough. It was like World War Mongol, and the Mongols won.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much about my threat then as a giant nomad clan.

Quite pissed off that one of the defensive pacts against me included the Lords of the Sky, my Tengri holy warriors. Not that it really mattered when it came down to it...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10253 on: April 04, 2016, 10:20:47 am »

I guess I shouldn't worry too much about my threat then as a giant nomad clan.

If you hit 75% threat, all the DPs which are normally separated by religious group (Christian, Muslim, Pagan) become one giant DP. So you could literally have the entire world against you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10254 on: April 04, 2016, 11:07:23 am »

Well, looks like it was a different mod causing problems, so I got that sorted out.

New problem. How the heck do you play Pictland with a custom ruler and not have the normal king immediately boot you off the throne? Almost everyone is a direct vassel of his and his traits mean that even after giving the guy a huge number of honorary titles, gold, and using my steward to raise relations with him he STILL rebels for the crown. He then has several thousand troops to my 600 and I get stomped.

Anyone got any ideas? Not enough time goes by for an assassination plot to succeed.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10255 on: April 04, 2016, 03:15:26 pm »

Started Stamford Bridge as King of England. Man, who would've thought it would be this easy. William the Bastard is a pushover.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10256 on: April 04, 2016, 04:40:51 pm »

Started Stamford Bridge as King of England. Man, who would've thought it would be this easy. William the Bastard is a pushover.

That reminds me of one of my first games. I started as the king of Scotland (as I had no idea at the time that Ireland was "tutorial island") and the war down south was dragging on. I don't actually remember how, but at some point before the war ended I managed to get a claim on the English throne.

As I marched my men through the countryside, everything I saw through the fog of war was just pitiful; the English army was in absolute tatters, and most of the country was plagued with some sort of disease or another. I think the Normans ended up getting caught up in something else on the continent, because I didn't see much of them for a majority of the time, and I'm pretty sure the Norwegians had bailed out.

Though it was a repeatedly touch-and-go situation, I eventually managed to wear down what remained of the English. By that point my own armies had withered, yet I still had to face off against William and his horde. I savescummed quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure I had to ally myself with the HRE just to survive, but the war was won. Unfortunately, William had taken one of the king's sons captive and refused to ransom him back. Thus began several decades of war in France and Spain, just to free one man who wasn't even the heir (but had good stats), and he ended up just becoming stressed or depressed afterwards anyway. But hey, it gave me something to do while I awaited the Crusades. :P
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10257 on: April 04, 2016, 11:24:45 pm »

Well, looks like it was a different mod causing problems, so I got that sorted out.

New problem. How the heck do you play Pictland with a custom ruler and not have the normal king immediately boot you off the throne? Almost everyone is a direct vassel of his and his traits mean that even after giving the guy a huge number of honorary titles, gold, and using my steward to raise relations with him he STILL rebels for the crown. He then has several thousand troops to my 600 and I get stomped.

Anyone got any ideas? Not enough time goes by for an assassination plot to succeed.
Immediately imprison him, and restart if it doesn't work?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10258 on: April 04, 2016, 11:25:30 pm »

Get him excommunicated.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10259 on: April 05, 2016, 12:35:29 pm »

So there I was, forgetting about the plot I had to kill some guy. Well, he became pope and immediately died. But nobody knows I was involved in the pope's death, so that's good.
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 1002