Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092037 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10170 on: March 29, 2016, 12:32:02 pm »

Development Diary #3: The DLC Bonsai Tree

We interrupt the regular program for this short broadcast from the Game Director. That is, me. I was planning to talk about something completely different (and admittedly of more substance), but we decided to hold on off on that for a bit. Instead, bear with me as I wax slightly philosophical and delve into the twin personalities of Crusader Kings. Now, that might sound like a diagnosis of mental illness, but it’s actually a beautiful thing that makes the game unique. I often think of Crusader Kings as a potted plant. The pot is the strategy game and the plant is the role-playing aspects, and every time you play the game, the plant grows differently, pruned by player actions… like a Bonsai Tree.

The pot and the soil cannot be neglected, for the roots of the plant - the “story engine” - need to be contained and nurtured by sound rules and balanced mechanics. Strategy games provide fertile soil indeed for captivating drama through their most defining features; freedom of action and conflict. Engaging conflict among a multitude of players and AI actors is really the key to the success of Crusader Kings II, for it causes such amusing stories to emerge and grow.

It should come as no surprise, though, that hybrid games like this tend to attract two rather different kinds of players; those who seek domination through mental acuity and those who are mostly in it for the ride (and everything in between, of course.) This poses an interesting challenge for us, the developers, because we have to expand on the game in ways that will suit both types. As you know, we have wavered back and forth between almost pure RPG expansions like Way of Life and strategic expansions, like Conclave, but we can never seem to please everyone (which is, of course, why we love mods and modders so much!)

Is there a point to all this? Not really, but perhaps you can guess what kind the next expansion will be…

Hmmm... yes....

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10171 on: March 29, 2016, 12:41:53 pm »

I'm actually kind of surprised no one has made a mod that lets you play as a bear yet.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10172 on: March 29, 2016, 12:59:54 pm »

Look up secret bear mod.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10173 on: March 29, 2016, 01:20:41 pm »

Well, looks like being only Christian in Iberia is not a feasible way of life. At least for my skill.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10174 on: March 29, 2016, 01:33:21 pm »

So completing the map for this next DLC?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10175 on: March 29, 2016, 02:49:58 pm »

They're really scrambling to have dev diaries, aren't they?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10176 on: March 29, 2016, 05:38:24 pm »

Well I reformed the Tengri faith. I'm also sitting at ~80% threat with 0.21% decay.

*sigh*

I think I'm still the Caliph. At least I was before I reformed...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10177 on: March 29, 2016, 05:42:09 pm »

So completing the map for this next DLC?

That seems kind of reasonable. To be fair, it might just be that Bonsai trees are available. But adding the T'ang, Temujin, the Yaun, and the Ming would definitely be awesome.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10178 on: March 29, 2016, 06:00:44 pm »

Well, Game Of Thrones mod kinda has it with Essos, which stretches very far right and it does cause performance drops, but it is pretty much possible without murdering performance so much.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10179 on: March 29, 2016, 06:41:44 pm »

Yeah, but kill performance outright.
It probably won't kill performance, though it will have an impact. The main thing about expanding east is that a new government will be needed to properly model how the chinese ran things.

They could also expand south into Africa, which would be really cool. It would also not require new governments, since feudal, iqta and tribal cover pretty much all the various realms that existed there. I doubt that will ever happen, though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10180 on: March 29, 2016, 06:49:42 pm »

I'd quite like it to be East until Japan, but any more map is a good thing.

They did have the Sengoku game, kinda Crusader Kings in Japan, so they may not be willing to go back there.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10181 on: March 29, 2016, 07:05:26 pm »

I heard the argument that they wouldn't expand eastward because it would allow you to stop the mongol hordes before they begin their doomstackining.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10182 on: March 29, 2016, 07:07:39 pm »

Well, Game Of Thrones mod kinda has it with Essos, which stretches very far right and it does cause performance drops, but it is pretty much possible without murdering performance so much.

A good bit of Essos is kinda empty and unplayable though. If China was like that I would be disappointed.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10183 on: March 29, 2016, 09:36:46 pm »

I heard the argument that they wouldn't expand eastward because it would allow you to stop the mongol hordes before they begin their doomstackining.
Nah, they said they want to do China, just not when.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10184 on: March 29, 2016, 10:37:37 pm »

Maybe it'll be like a... Seperate map kind of thing?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 1002