Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093398 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9675 on: February 23, 2016, 12:03:13 am »

Okay, bad news: Rum took Bulgaria. Good news: crusade for Thessaly.
GET READY FOR OTTOMAN SLAPS

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: February 23, 2016, 01:27:03 am »

I can't start factions for some reason. And even if I could, I'm awfully underpowered.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: February 23, 2016, 01:49:28 am »

The point of factions is to add the forces fellow vassals of your liege lord to your own to make an ultimatum. If you're more powerful than your liege, you don't really need the whole system.

Like last time I tried to play the byzantines. I gave my children every kingdom. Very bad idea. I figure I should've kept Greece.

This game I'm doing better. Playing with a fantasy mod, playing as dragons, they're quite stupid, started Umayyad charlemagne-era, decided to give my kids and their kids Aquitaine, Brittany, Mauretania, Africa, Mali and Navarra so far, and I figure I'll always keep Andalusia to myself since that's the center of my empire now.

By "they're quite stupid" I mean I have a retinue of 10 dragons. The army size is 10. They can't besiege shit, but they can single-handedly take on the entire Karling army, as long as I only go for 10,000 at a time.

Oh, and my own levies have a total of 25 dragons. You can make a building that adds a dragon to the local levies per upgrade. Very very OP. Dragons get their own religion and the surrounding area are all heretics relative to that, which of course means I get to take duchies faster, though obviously I can't do the standard marry into claims thing, which is slightly annoying. Still, if you couldn't tell by the implication up there, I've taken over Aquitaine, Brittany and good chunks of Burgundy, Lombardy and some other would-be Karlingspace. The byzantine empire likes to declare war on me to take back Mallorca, which always turns out badly for them and gets me over 1,600 gold each time because the events in the game are hilariously broken.

Wait, okay, the mod has an equipment system. I currently have the top-tier warrior items. If I go to the warriors' guild and get a quest to defend a caravan, I'll almost definitely win, at which point I can show mercy and imprison them. Naturally, I promptly eat them, since I'm a dragon, and get 100 piety from that. I have the cruel trait somehow, probably from that, but it's a one-time thing and that's not too bad a trait anyway. I eat most of my prisoners. It's really quite convenient. Every time I eat them, I inherit their equipment, which I can then sell. If I do the second-tier warrior job, killing a troll, I get to kill the troll and sell off his weapon, a mithril hammer worth 662 gold for a total of 1062 gold gain from that quest. The dragonslaying job (don't think about it too hard) gets me a mere 800 gold and 400 prestige, for comparison.

My son sucks. I'm mostly immortal (sickness, wounding, maiming, infirmity, incapibility are all immediately healed and I can't die of old age) and so is he, so I've been hoping someone would off him. The only succession laws available in the empire are primogeniture and gavelkind, blech. All my kingdoms (I think I have 8?) are set to primogeniture right now.

Also, the damn karling won't die. He's the third Karling in the line so far (damn elves, also immortal), I think Karloman managed to get on top at first, at one point West Francia managed to detach from the big Karling empire, I quickly used the opportunity to get a pathway to Brittany so I could take that (since it was fractured into half-Karling, 2/6 independent counties, 1/6 England, which didn't matter at all), but now it's all one empire again and bleh, truces.

Basically, I'm trying to juggle carving out the ERE, Carolingia, Italy and Arabia. Arabia's got the world's second biggest army (Zakk, which is to say Abyssinia, has the biggest, but that's all goblins, which are utterly worthless, like unbelievably so, Asturias was also goblins and an army of 20000 of those can be taken down by 2000 normal soldiers, or, heck, probably a dragon or two), but I have dragons, so I figure I can take back Alexandria, which is actually rightfully mine since I usurped Africa. I'll probably eat the rest of the continent of Africa before trying to take Arabia, actually, that seems prudent. Taking the human (Byzantine) empire from both sides seems like it might be fun, since at least the humans have the common decency to die once in a while and make their truces disappear.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: February 23, 2016, 02:08:58 am »

Is that mod like, the same premise as Shadowrun but medieval?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: February 23, 2016, 03:45:00 am »

Is there a time limit on treason? While I was under regency, revoking title from rebel vassal in my dungeon was just. Once I was finally of age, I took a heavy opinion hit from everyone.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: February 23, 2016, 07:45:09 am »

Is that mod like, the same premise as Shadowrun but medieval?

If it's the one I'm thinking of then no. It's just a minor fantasy overhaul of the game. Bunch of races with their own traits/units, unfleshed out religions and a simple weapons/armour and jobs system.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: February 23, 2016, 09:09:35 am »

If you want a good high fantasy mod, the Elder Kings is actually pretty nice. Then there is the Game of Thrones mod, but it doesn't have everything and the kitchen sink like the Elder Scrolls.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: February 23, 2016, 02:08:18 pm »

So apparently you can breed with horses in Crusader Kings...

From an AAR I saw on reddit.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9683 on: February 23, 2016, 02:41:42 pm »

One good thing about the Conclave update is that you can now play as a horse and conquer the Roman Empire for all horsekind.

Sorry, but this is old news.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: February 23, 2016, 04:07:19 pm »

Consensus of the new expansion? I have yet to see the mechanics really work, although the favor system seems dope. The council is cool - slightly more reason to not just pick the dude with the top stats all the time.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: February 23, 2016, 04:27:22 pm »

If you want a good high fantasy mod, the Elder Kings is actually pretty nice. Then there is the Game of Thrones mod, but it doesn't have everything and the kitchen sink like the Elder Scrolls.
I can vouch for that. Never really been able to get into the A Game of Thrones mod, but that's probably just me. Elder Kings is amazing, though. Pretty sure it's not currently up-to-date, but when it is I'd recommend anyone looking for a challenge to try starting as a Solstheim OPM and work their way up to reclaiming Atmora from the undead hordes.

Consensus of the new expansion? I have yet to see the mechanics really work, although the favor system seems dope. The council is cool - slightly more reason to not just pick the dude with the top stats all the time.
Not sure about the general consensus, but I quite like it. Favors are pretty good, and I find it both intriguing and annoying when my ambitions get stonewalled by a rich vassal buying out the councilors; makes things seem more alive. I've read somewhere that favors are a bit more useful as a vassal than a sovereign, but I haven't tried playing as a vassal since before Conclave so I can't immediately verify that. Coalitions, as has been reported previously, can get crazily out of hand. The devs have said that they plan on doing something of an overhaul to fix that, but I don't think they've patched it just yet.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:31:57 pm by JumpingJack »
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: February 23, 2016, 07:54:14 pm »

Ahh, yes. Charlemagne now basically never happens (I'd imagine) because of them. At least in my multiplayer game, after Big Dude took over Saxony, pretty much every independent nation coalitioned him, and he had his hands tied.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: February 23, 2016, 08:11:25 pm »

So apparently you can breed with horses in Crusader Kings...

Catherine the Great knew something
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: February 23, 2016, 09:49:39 pm »

Well, if urban legends are to be believed.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: February 23, 2016, 10:58:27 pm »

I have found it to generally not impact the game to any significant degree, even when trying to use the features. They're not bad features, but it's very much a minor enhancement to gameplay, proportionate to the apparent magnitude of the change. Which I suppose is why it's one of the last expansions, cost/benefit had to end up like this eventually.

Ahh, yes. Charlemagne now basically never happens (I'd imagine) because of them. At least in my multiplayer game, after Big Dude took over Saxony, pretty much every independent nation coalitioned him, and he had his hands tied.
Event-started wars will no longer incur infamy after the upcoming balance patch. For right now though, this is true.
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 1002