Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091348 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8865 on: September 18, 2015, 10:03:14 am »

Remember, there is no problem in ck2 that cannot be resolved by killing everyone.
This solution cannot solve the problem of ENDLESS MONGOLIANS

*sensible chuckle* *sharpens knife*
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: September 18, 2015, 10:57:03 am »

Wow, Buddhist outside of India is kind of brokenly OP. I just did a Charlemagne start as a Buddhist in Ireland for kicks (never really did an Irish start before). By the time my first ruler died I'd conquered all of Ireland, made it a Kingdom, converted most of the subjugated lords, and had converted several provinces. And since you get to pick your heir, I was able to choose a middle son with Quick instead of one of the sub-par elder sons.

Also, my ruler died at 60 to a heart attack during sex with his young second wife. First time I've seen that event happen!

Any non-Christian in Britain is pretty brutal really. Once you get Holy Wars you can sweep all the tribals into a nice little package and start stamping on the English petty kings until you have a nice little heathen bastion just off the coast of France ready for a big sweep into the Catholic heartlands.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: September 18, 2015, 11:12:23 am »

Yeah, that's part of what makes the Buddhist so powerful. I can do holy wars right from the start, so as soon as I have the troops to conquer a county I can just sort of steamroll around. Get 500 prestige and you have the 2500 tribal troops to raise up and just blitz everything. Takes a bit to get there, mostly waiting for event raiders or warriors to spawn from your Councillors, but after that it snowballs.

Harder to do as pagan, since you're not reformed and the Christians are very, very slow to convert. Or at least that's the experience I had in the Old Gods start in Britain as vikings. Although of course there you start with event troops so at least the initial war is pretty easy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: September 18, 2015, 11:28:32 am »

Harder to do as pagan, since you're not reformed and the Christians are very, very slow to convert. Or at least that's the experience I had in the Old Gods start in Britain as vikings. Although of course there you start with event troops so at least the initial war is pretty easy.

Easier with modded in Celtic pagans than vikings, since the holy sites needed to reform are at least in Britain that way.

Reformed pagans in general can stomp Britain flat once they gain a foothold there.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: September 18, 2015, 03:14:23 pm »

Remember, there is no problem in ck2 that cannot be resolved by killing everyone.
This solution cannot solve the problem of ENDLESS MONGOLIANS
In my experience, Mongolians are the solution to endless Mongolians. Gavelkind's a bitch, O Khan of Khans.

In my India game, Temujin showed up and took Mongolia proper, and his son Jochi did a little bit, but it was his grandson Khudu that really took the shit to town. Conquered Turkestan, Tartaria, Volga Bulgaria, Taurica, reformed Tengriism....then died and everything went to hell. The Mongol Empire proper is tiny and contained by the vast tanness that is TARTARIA. (And I put it in all caps because that's how it looks, always hovering over my northern lands in Khiva in giant letters). But Tartaria doesn't seem to have the hyper-aggressive Mongolian AI, so they're chill and all. Hell, the High Priest of the Tengri Church declared a Great Holy War on me (while I was in the middle of fending off two jihads simultaneously) but me and the Khagan of Tartaria are falconry buddies, so it's no big deal. And the Tengri Church is unlanded, so they're harmless.

And the +75 opinion bonus for defending against infidels means my vassals all love me, even after I declared Absolute Crown Authority and changed the empire into a true Imperial administration.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: September 19, 2015, 05:20:00 am »

I wish tribal vassals were more talented at waging war.

Tried to spend more time as the Norse without becoming Feudal/Republican despite reforming the faith to let my vassals grind into territory for me without having to give up the extra soldiers being tribal gives compared to being a young feudal nation.

But by Odin they were just so bad at fighting. All of Scandinavia was taking years to beat a three county duchy with only a thousand soldiers. I had to step in in nearly every war we waged that wasn't against the damn Franks.

Stupid tribals.

Anyway, I have since initiated Feudalism, managed to kidnap a Byzantine princess (Score!) and take her as a concubine and press her sons claim on the Empire. After helping him quell some rebels and mucking about with my own succession laws to make him my heir rather than any of my other family and zerg rushing myself into fights until I dropped dead, I became the Emperor of Scandinavia/Byzantium.  :D

The Byzantine vassals adore me, I've got a lot of nice traits picked up from my family progenitor, the crushed a rebellion bonus, and none of the penalties Byzantine laws normally give, since the previous emperors managed to lose all those laws completely. They're converting like wildfire and other than a few independent counties/duchies that need to be eaten up I've got the empire wrapped around my finger.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:47:30 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: September 19, 2015, 07:11:04 am »

All hail the varangian byzantine Emperor!

Look at what the IA pulled in my game :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At first a simple catholic uprising won Ceuta. I didn't expected the thing to last but 50 years later it's still there and control a good chunk of Morocco. I wonder how much time until the Umayyad put a stop to it...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: September 19, 2015, 10:38:00 am »

I still want to play a Coptic Egypt but fucking Abbasids.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: September 19, 2015, 10:44:04 am »

I still want to play a Coptic Egypt but fucking Abbasids.
You could always start at The Old Gods. There is no big islamic blob then.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: September 19, 2015, 11:06:13 am »

So I have 3 empires with standing armies of over 100, 000 on my map.  The 2 khans and the aztecs.

Khan 1 doodled around in south of russia, and took a sizable chunck of that empire.  And then kind of stopped being so aggressive, even with a fairly weak muslim neighbor to his south.  He spent 20 years at a time at peace, and recentently converted to nestorism.

Khan 2, the golden horde, arrived behind the blob of the ilkhanate.  He appears to not want to step on the toes of his brethren, and so far has a whopping 100,000+ army and a total of 1 duchy to his name.

The Aztecs landed on Aquitain, and took 2 spanish kindoms from our christian badesh.  Who is a female.  I was planning to excommunicate her with my vassal pope but the aztecs are the bigger threat until they lose their 100k army.  They don't seem interested in anything that is me thus far so.

What is up with the large empire ai?  They seem obnoxiously peaceful.  Bavaria owned half of middle france until I ate them, the byzantine emperor has yet to call his own offensive wars, and the khans are playing thumb war instead of actually expanding.  Also, quite humoriously, the teutonic order has created the kindom of sweden, and now they are considered legit kings by the game.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: September 19, 2015, 04:03:16 pm »

Besides the Abbasids. Who Descan is raging about. The Abbasids may not be as big as the other Islamic blobs, but when they can muster at least three times as many  troops as you can and love warring with infidels the difference is somewhat marginal.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: September 19, 2015, 04:20:29 pm »

Besides the Abbasids. Who Descan is raging about. The Abbasids may not be as big as the other Islamic blobs, but when they can muster at least three times as many  troops as you can and love warring with infidels the difference is somewhat marginal.
That's the smallest it gets unless you want to go for the later starts. On Charlemagne, the Abbasids are monstrous, and in Stamford Bridge, it's the Seljuks and Fatimids instead.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: September 19, 2015, 05:17:10 pm »

I'm not arguing with you. It's just that the difference between the 'Smallest Islamic Blob' and 'Largest Islamic Blob' is rather small when you're a bunch of Coptic Christians bordering either nation. Unless you're lucky/clever your shit is probably going to be kicked in either way.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: September 20, 2015, 01:48:14 am »

All hail the varangian byzantine Emperor!

Look at what the IA pulled in my game :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At first a simple catholic uprising won Ceuta. I didn't expected the thing to last but 50 years later it's still there and control a good chunk of Morocco. I wonder how much time until the Umayyad put a stop to it...
The last 100 years of my game in crusader kings was the teutonic order taking over Iberia and mali, then slowly crumbling from within.

The last 10 years was the pope calling for a crusade to Afghanistan (!), walking across Russia to get there (!!), and then winning(!!!). It's 1470 in eUIV now and there are still two catholic provinces, though Afghanistan got succeeded by Baluchistan. I just wondered why he did it.

Something to do with that large bird crashing into the tower of Pisa?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: September 20, 2015, 12:20:32 pm »

In my latest game, as the Piasts of Poland, the Byzantines got roflstomped by the Seljuks, leaving them with only their serbian provinces.

...except for some reason they were in control of jerusalem.

The Pope started the Crusades, starting with Jerusalem. it was a success, and Scotland(!) got the Holy Land

...except the Byzantines still held Jerusalem.

Twenty years later, the Caliph called a Jihad on Jerusalem. He won this one.

The Second Crusade, this time for Greece & Anatolia, was called. It won, with England(!) gaining the heart of the ex-byzantine empire.

...and the Byzantines still held Jerusalem.

A hundred years later, the new Caliph called another Jihad on anatolia. He failed.

...But the Byzantines still held Jerusalem.

The king of Hungary trampled on the serbian remnants of the Empire in order to make his wife Empress. She was assassinated (By the child Empress MagicFairyNotGonnaBeMyHeir of the Wendish Empire), so he remarried and did it again, for his mother-in-law. This time, he made it, exhausting the last dregs of resources the Byantines had.

...and the Byzantines still held Jerusalem

The king's son fabricated a claim on the Duchy that the capital of his grandmother's Empire was in, and drove them out. Surely this was the end for the Roman Empire? With no capital, how could they exist?

Fucking Byzantines, man. They have 3 provinces, 2 in the Holy Land, and 1 in southern Serbia.
And yet they've hung on fifty more years, tooth, nail and claw, staring folornly across the sea to the distant shores of Greece, where the descendants of Harold Godwinson, the Crusader King, feast and marvel in the great city of Constantinople. Well, the ones whose eyes haven't been put out, that is.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 1002