Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091024 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8700 on: August 09, 2015, 09:30:17 pm »

Yes, but if everyone eligible in your dynasty...... Also if someone from outside the main line inherits you dont play as them im pretty sure.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: August 10, 2015, 02:30:23 am »

Well, the trick would be to remove them in situations such as that. The goal would be to put as many dynasty members into power as possible, to ensure an even elective playing field. Would it help things if the kingdoms were also elective?

Probably not, there'd be a bigger chance of a non-relative getting the throne. Tanistry and Seniority would both be better for keeping it in the family, but the risk of the same character inheriting several realms would be bigger. Guaranteed in case of Seniority, I'd think, I'm not too familiar with that rule system.

Best would probably be common primogeniture. Every time a daughter inherits and marries patrilinearly you'd have to be to invite a relative with a claim and be ready to press it, though. Or maybe make it Agnatic Primogeniture would solve that?

Yes, but if everyone eligible in your dynasty...... Also if someone from outside the main line inherits you dont play as them im pretty sure.

Dependant on what your definition of "main line" is. As long as they are of your dynasty, no matter how removed, you'll play as them if they are elected onto the throne.
Love, scriver~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: August 10, 2015, 02:48:27 am »

Don't forget that the number one source of rulership change is rebellion. Second is adventurers.

Those you cannot control and if your character is a lot more liked than the other dude and you guys are family members, there's a very high chance you yourself will be the one the rebels put in power.

It's happened to me twice in two games.

The first time was when I played an MP game and my friend got completely owned by his rebelling vassals who installed me as the new duke so I became the most powerful person in the kingdom with two full duchies. I didn't even know what was going on.

The second time was when I gave a family member a Californian kingdom and a few years later all the vassals kicked her out and put me back in charge. I don't even...

----

As for Ispil's thing, elective is very difficult to control in an empire. Too many vassals are considered valid electors. If your realm decides to support someone outside your family, you're in some serious trouble. Especially if you don't have any way to influence the votes (saaay... you're a kid and all your brothers want to kill you). Sometimes it doesn't even make sense as some vassals can be determined to vote for someone else even if they have 100 relations with you.

I've also had issues where the votes got completely reset after loading the game. So I can save when my preferred child was heir but after loading again, it'd have to decide all over again and could very easily have some random douchebag as the heir.

I think if you want some very amusing times, have lots of family members and create lots of gavelkind kingdoms. Then change your empire title to primogeniture or something. That way you will always have your empire title like you want and your family is too busy fighting each other to fight you. Though sometimes they themselves will change the inheritance laws. It's rare though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8703 on: August 10, 2015, 04:26:01 am »

I've tried the dynastic Empire thing and it gets quite hectic as you try to maintain the primacy of the main dynastic line. Usually you win if you are able to control their money supply, although you still get into trouble when unruly family members begin forging unions between Empires or marry outside of the dynasty, risking throwing some dynastic Empires under the bus. Elective... Eh, in essence no one will ever challenge you for as long as you are big boss Emperor. Gavelkinde world Kingdoms sounds like the way to go. Thousands upon thousands of Dukes of your dynasty, battling it out to be the big boss.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: August 10, 2015, 12:54:03 pm »

I'd go for elective gavelkind, since it strengthens your dynasty a lot to always have the strongest members ruling the most. And those strong rulers will often go to war with each other to take claims, building big dynamic kingdoms, but dividing up on death. Making the Empire a seniority title rather than primogeniture would be preferable to me too, it'll let things leave the player's hands from time to time and ultimately keep the empire in quite good shape since if someone gets independent, they'll come back in a while when they inherit the empire. Of course, there's always the possibility that someone will get overtaken by a non-dynastic pretender, but enough people will have claims that this should hopefully be a short-lived affair; this is bolstered by the fact that elective gavelkind will make the strongest leaders stronger.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: August 10, 2015, 01:18:27 pm »

One of the nice things about shuffling your counties among your own vassals/relatives is that they'll spend their own money to upgrade its holdings so you don't have to.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: August 10, 2015, 03:44:59 pm »

One of the nice things about shuffling your taking counties from your own vassals/relatives is that they'll spend their own money to upgrade its holdings so you don't have to.
Fixed

Though, to be fair, there's counties that are just better regardless of one improvement or not.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8707 on: August 15, 2015, 03:43:09 pm »

Dang, eu4 to vic2 converter is all kinds of broken. I could handmake a vic2 Miroslav continuation mod, it's tempting but it'd be time consuming.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: August 15, 2015, 06:11:27 pm »

Is it? I just recently (5 or 6 days ago) used it to convert a multiplayer game and the only stuff not working was that some cultures (swiss and some of the italian ones) all converted into "noculture", which should be fixable by editing the eu4 savegame to replace these cultures. What kind of problem did you have with the conversion?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8709 on: August 15, 2015, 06:40:52 pm »

It fails to update the localization

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: August 16, 2015, 05:04:03 pm »

Started a brand new game as King Björn Ironside with the following goals:
1. Unify and Create the Scandanavian Empire
2. Reform Germanic Paganism
3. Sacrifice the Pope to Odin

4. Kick Ass! Not hard to do as a Viking!

Well, I managed to become King of Sweden as Björn, and conquer most of Finland to boot. I nearly managed to reform Germanic Pagansim, but my chancellor failed to fabricate a claim on the final site I needed for 14 years! (14% chance per year. I had 59% MA too!)
Björn's son managed to subjugate Norway and get the final holy site, only for moral authority to have dropped to 1%! (-20 from expired conquest bonuses, -24 from failed Holy Wars against Catholics in Denmark. The AI sucks sometimes.) After that I let the Pope convert us because being unreformed pagan would really hurt my plan to switch to feudalism, our powerful neighbors were Catholic, and we were already rapidly converting regardless of my attempts to stop it.
That ruler died half a year after starting the conversion process and I was then forced to use a -300 prestige, not very good son to fight off one civil war and one Suosmensko uprising. (Managed to do it because we let the Teutonic Order set up a castle in one of my counties.) Now I've switched to Feudalism (saved just before in case it's a mistake(not ironman)) and am starting to use looted gold from the Mediterranean to build up our own holdings. My long-term plan is to make Scandanavia an economic and military powerhouse by improving all most of it's empty land. I'm also going to modify the succession laws so that I can keep all of my titles.

Now that I'm starting the process of improving this land, I'm starting to wonder if I should've stayed tribal longer. It seems I need a lot more gold, but I am getting quite a lot by raiding Genoa and Venice, as well as some select coasts and islands. Do any feudal improvements require prestige? This is my first time really fooling with building.

Edit: Just checked the CKII wiki and realized that I can create a a merchant republic within my empire, for a huge economy boost. Just need to do a bit of scheming, looting, and charity to do so.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:35:35 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: August 17, 2015, 03:09:06 am »

Yesh creating religious areas also is good for the economy...can only have like 30% as merchant republics...for maximum cash do 30% republics and I think 30% on religious lands and you will be so rich...

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: August 17, 2015, 06:07:45 am »

But don't the religious people only give you taxes if they like you better than the Pope? Even when I have max relations with them, I don't seem to get many thing because they have 100 with the Pope. I suppose I might make an Antipope, since I don't think the HRE has been founded yet, and most Catholic rulers aren't likely to declare war on me at this stage.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: August 17, 2015, 07:14:39 am »

But don't the religious people only give you taxes if they like you better than the Pope? Even when I have max relations with them, I don't seem to get many thing because they have 100 with the Pope. I suppose I might make an Antipope, since I don't think the HRE has been founded yet, and most Catholic rulers aren't likely to declare war on me at this stage.

If you follow a non-Catholic faith then you bypass that problem neatly. Orthodoxy is good for it, but you lose access to Crusades.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: August 17, 2015, 07:48:19 am »

Become a Fraticelli! All the taxes and crusades of a catholic without having a pope for the longest time :3
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 1002