Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090827 times)

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8670 on: August 06, 2015, 09:20:30 am »

Map projection is atrocious. India is way too small and the Arabian peninsula is way too big.

Sure about that? They seem about the same size to me, with India a bit bigger, in the CK2 map, and thats quite close to reality.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: August 06, 2015, 09:28:31 am »

Yeah, I think India and Arabia are close to their real proportions, the areas where stuff is really bad is Mongolia, the Tarim Basin, some of Tibet and Iceland. All of which are on the top and edges of the map.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: August 06, 2015, 03:58:56 pm »

Man getting back into CK2 is harder than I thought. The game runs like arse and the map projection looks all fucked up and gross. The UI seems clumsier than I remember, why is it so tedious to arrange a marriage and find kinsmen?

Also has claim fabrication been severely nerfed? I must have been sitting there for 4 generations trying to get a claim on a neighbouring county.

Fabrication has been slowed down.

Map projection is atrocious. India is way too small and the Arabian peninsula is way too big.

I wish Paradox would just switch to globes already.
Not in the current engine they won't. That said, India and Arabia are nothing compared to Mongolia, that is far too much to the west. Paradox itself admitted that. It's likely that the projection will be fixed when they eventually expand further east.

Of course not in the current engine. Clausewitz 2 is years-old garbage anyway, and is stretched to its limit but the number of characters and events in CK2. Hell, they had to improve it just to have 2 oceans in the game.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: August 06, 2015, 08:17:50 pm »

Bah, lost a super health statted Viking to a battle shortly after making the Empire of Scandinavia and reforming German Paganism. I should've gotten another 100 years out of him at least.  :(

The Empire split between three of his sons, the fourth choosing to stay under the new Emperor. A little politicking got the others back in the fold, shortly after which the new emperor died in battle.

Sadly the only other Germanic nation at this point (early 800s) is the Saxons, who've been getting kicked in by the Slavic Pagans and the Catholics, and refuse to vassalize under me and form a super nation to start wiping out all the Catholics and non-Germanic Pagans. Stupid gits.

Not sure what to start using Great Holy Wars on first. Nomming big chunks of Catholic nations seems sensible as it would reduce the threat posed by Crusades, but pagans are a nice easy target to gather more territory for the big throwdown with the Abrahamic faiths.  :-\
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: August 06, 2015, 09:36:40 pm »

I think they must have done something to the probability of dying in combat as it's been happening a lot to me as well. It's the number 1 source of death for my characters these days.

Hell, I constantly lose super generals to it too. Nonstop.

Not that I'm really complaining though. I like that I actually have to give a shit about who I'm sending to battle now.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: August 06, 2015, 09:49:06 pm »

s'all 'bout dat combat skill.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: August 06, 2015, 09:56:15 pm »

Not just for the player either. I see AI dying from that all the time as well. I posted earlier about seeing charlemagne (karl karling) somehow being slain in battle by... charlemagne.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: August 06, 2015, 10:32:26 pm »

Not just for the player either. I see AI dying from that all the time as well. I posted earlier about seeing charlemagne (karl karling) somehow being slain in battle by... charlemagne.
Hehe, the closest I've come to that was me killing my own husband.

I married a Commanche prince with 22 martial. We then joined the New Pope™'s holy crusade against Dakota. We fought battle after battle side by side as husband and wife until we won and claimed the new kingdom for ourselves. But then the king of Commancheria died and my husband was called back to rule. However, our daughter's husband launched his own claim on Commancheria and called me into war against my husband.

I brought 8000 men to fight my husband and slew him in combat.

I don't think my character minded though. She was a lunatic due to the necronomicon and ended up remarrying a 16-year old boytoy despite being nearly 60.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: August 06, 2015, 10:56:39 pm »

I've never had much in terms of problems with leaders dying recently, but a long time ago, I would get leaders maimed and then killed in combat all the time. I might have just gotten lucky recently though.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: August 07, 2015, 07:30:49 am »

I think the chances of leaders dying were nerfed in a patch a few versions back, it used to be an epidemic. I think the chances of capture should be higher than death though, considering how capturing and cashing a nobleman was THE way to make money as an ordinary soldier, it was what they all were aiming for.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: August 07, 2015, 07:33:29 am »

*Charlemagne charges the enemy, then trips and falls on his own sword*
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8681 on: August 07, 2015, 04:32:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To just think that all of this can be traced back to the moment High Chief Vojislav Miroslav married High Chieftess Dobrava Turov in 769 A.D.

I think I'm done with this timeline. It has certainly been my weirdest and most fun game of CK2, right up there with the Miroslav invasion of Westeros or the Merchant Republic of London. If I had to pick and choose the highlights which exemplify this playthrough:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• And to end it all, I'd have to say the reign of High Chief Vojislav exemplified the playthrough by virtue of being everything it grew out of. There was a refreshing simpleness, back in the old days when the Rashidun Caliphate and Charlemagne were still running around. Chief Vojislav was just a humble and tough soldier married to a clever Volnhyian of Kiev. Occasionally he'd lead raids into the Byzantine lands for gold, and lead his men through the cold mountains and hills of Serbia to avoid Byzantine patrols. Then he'd sit in his wooden hall, laughing at the Catholics fighting each other over some foreign pettiness, demanding to be the priest who'd get to convert little Serbia to Christ. There was no vast family, no vast conspiracy, no intrigue, no grandiose wars or titanic struggle from the economies of landmasses to the destination of its people. It was just the Chief taking gold from the Christians and burning their houses down. Then when he converted, the Chief marrying his sons and daughters with them whilst building them houses. And he'd run around fighting because he was a tough soldier. There was no struggle of worlds, because the world was just this tiny little province and that was it as far as Vojislav was concerned.

Then he closed his eyes and the world became Miroslav.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: August 07, 2015, 04:35:50 pm »

This game went from being BJ blazkowicz to Wilhem Strasse really fast.

EDIT: Is it possible we can get a vicky2 extension?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: August 07, 2015, 04:40:54 pm »

*applauds*

I feel honored to have seen parts of this glorious clusterfuck.

Even if you don't play it, it might be interesting to convert the save to V2 (assuming you have it). The pops should be... interesting. You should probably mod in a Miroslav culture to unite the world, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: August 07, 2015, 05:03:12 pm »

Bravo, sir, bravo.

That's all there is left to say.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1002