Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090585 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8430 on: July 17, 2015, 12:05:49 pm »

So my latest Emperor is Orthodox. Most of the empire was Catholic when I inherited it and my prior emperors were used to convert even more of it, but I've decided to try and reinvigorate Orthodoxy, mend the great schism and try to recreate Rome.

England has been conquered by Aztecs, who have so far repelled a Crusade launched by most of Catholic Europe. I have conquered Alexandria, am working on taking over Jerusalem from the Catholics and eyeing up Sicily for complete conquest.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: July 17, 2015, 02:18:35 pm »

All in all a nomad playthrough seems to be a bit on the boring side of things.
Pretty much. Nomads seem to strip away most of the interesting parts of the game.

Vassal management? Irrelevant, you can imprison/revoke/execute at will. Holding management? Burn it all to the ground. Levies? Who needs 'em. Attributes? They don't do anything. Revolts? They don't happen, and all the provinces become your culture/religion anyway. Casus belli? You can "holy war" anyone, even your own religion. Demense limit? lol, as if...

Edit: I suppose this falls into "vassal management", but the vassals you haven't revoked and pillaged yet give you all their taxes and levies with zero effort on your part. Doesn't matter if they're "Revoked Vassal Titles: -3860", they'll still round up 3,000 guys willing to die against this 40,000 adventurer stack...

Eh, that's really how the nomads were. Genghis stormed through, created tributaries out of Kievan Rus after demolishing most of what stood in the way, and only came by again to beat them back into submission repeatedly. It took 100 years for the Ilkhanate to collapse, at which point it simply collapsed into a bunch of rival nomads. The Golden Horde took even longer to collapse. Sure, nomads may take most of the stuff out of the game, but... that's how they were. Vassal management consisted of "defy me and die," et cetera.

It's not even "defy me and die" in game though. It's just "everyone dies and the sheep pay taxes, never revolt, and aren't swayed to heresy."
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: July 17, 2015, 02:42:29 pm »

That's a also an issue with standard CK2.  How exactly is a Kingdom supposed to function when all of the King's direct vassals are imprisoned by him?  According to CK2, better than one where they aren't.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: July 17, 2015, 03:10:27 pm »

That's a also an issue with standard CK2.  How exactly is a Kingdom supposed to function when all of the King's direct vassals are imprisoned by him?  According to CK2, better than one where they aren't.
Kings can easily manage 1000+ vastly separated areas of land with no troubles.

I mean, why did you think they were made King? Because of who their parents were? RIDICULOUS.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: July 17, 2015, 03:25:16 pm »

Feudal rulers don't really manage anything outside their tiny demesne :P
Except for taking protection money and levies from their vassals, and ideally protecting them.
So imprisoning some duke isn't a big deal...  The regent can handle bullying the counts.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: July 17, 2015, 04:00:19 pm »

Except for taking protection money and levies from their vassals, and ideally protecting them.
So imprisoning some duke isn't a big deal...  The regent can handle bullying the counts.
And the counts' regents can handle bullying the barons' regents, who can handle bullying the lords, who can handle being called to arms to stand in a field with ten other lords on a small island for six years then told to go home when you realise you forgot them.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: July 17, 2015, 05:19:56 pm »

And the counts' regents can handle bullying the barons' regents, who can handle bullying the lords, who can handle being called to arms to stand in a field with ten other lords on a small island for six years then told to go home when you realise you forgot them.
LOL

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: July 18, 2015, 12:35:58 am »

If use the De Jure Claim casus belli instead of Holy War on the remaining Muslims in Sicily will I end up with Muslim vassals who hate me?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: July 18, 2015, 12:43:19 am »

Park your troops on their holdings and then revoke. Bonus is that you don't take the "New Administration" penalty for this (unless HL patch changed that).
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: July 18, 2015, 12:51:02 am »

It's a good thing my Crown Authority is nonexistent then.

The only other real thorn in my side for total control of Sicily is a Lord Mayor who I suspect to be able to pull mercenaries out of his arse.

EDIT: His title is now apparently Grand Mayor.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:08:32 am by Vgray »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: July 18, 2015, 03:41:45 am »

As King of Navarra, I owned just over half of Hispania. Asturias controls most of the other half. It's the year 957. With Ironman mode on, I conquered the Byzantine Empire.

My plan was to press my claim on the Byzantine Empire by attacking Sicily. Many of the holdings there were half empty and it would let me beat whatever BE army came by to stop me because the only ways in were through a straight or through a coastal landing.

It was going well enough with Byzantium spawning a few 1-2k armies, but they were quickly beaten by my 9k (includes 4k mercs) and 5k armies. I was allied to Asturias and they sent some 5k troops over....except they marched them to Constantinople where they were quickly beaten by a 9k Byzantine army. I sent over my 9k army via boat to help but by the time they got there, Asturias was wiped out. The Byz army had ~7.5k men left. At that point, I chased them with my 9k army hoping the Byz didn't stop on mountains/hills/behind a river/all of the above. That's not what happened though.

As it turned out, they were marching all the way to Sicily where my 5k army was still capturing holdings. I noticed and sent them to fight at the straight between Greece and Italy, but the Byz got over it first so I made do with meeting them at a hilly location in southern Italy. My 9k army was close behind and together, they stomped the Byzantine Army and from there on it was smooth sailing till I hit 100%

Now, Constantinople is my capital, most of my Byzantine vassals are Catholic, county conversion is going rather quickly, some of the Catholic lords of Italy have accepted vassalisation (as has Croatia), and some of the Greek children are being raised as Glorious Master Race Basques. The only problem so far is that Byzantine crown authority is at its absolute minimum and I'm having trouble raising it, that and my no. 1 heir (my half-brother) banged his niece so I'm instead giving the crown to my son who has pretty good stats and the Genius trait. (A whole bunch of my family members have positive genetic traits which is pretty cool.) Something I noticed in the new patch is that people are much more willing to seduce family members than they used to be. No me gusta.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:43:51 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: July 18, 2015, 12:15:40 pm »

Well, that was anticlimatic. Turns out the Republic of Amalfi wasn't as rich as I thought it was.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8442 on: July 18, 2015, 03:08:23 pm »

mostly just boils down to that...more titles = more split loyalties.
One exploity thing to do is wait for the day your primary Empire title incorporates the last Kingdom in another Empire you de jure control (but haven't created), and when you have finally subsumed it - don't unpause the game just yet, create the Empire title then. Then you have all of your Kingdoms under one Empire title, but also have an extra titular Empire title to give away/keep for bonus prestige. Sort of like how the British Empire created the Empire of India title to raise the Queen to Empress level just to put her on the same level as the Czar of Russia, despite there only being THE British Empire

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: July 18, 2015, 03:33:43 pm »

It actually seems much easier to keep a small number of direct vassals happy compared to tons of individual ones.

The kingdoms of Wales, Scotland, Croatia and Ireland have all been given to vassals (Originally Scotland and Ireland were given to family, but Scotland is now led by a Bishop-Prince, Ireland is still led by an offshoot of the dynasty, Croatia is led by my father) and have been little trouble since I converted their kings to Orthodoxy and castrated the ambitious ones that kept pushing for independence. The numerous Dukes/Counts/Barons of the Byzantine Empire on the other hand have been nothing more than pains in my ass. Hard to reconvert to Orthodoxy after so long as Catholics, and hard to keep happy on a group level for long during the transition since there's so little delegation going on.

I'm sorely tempted to create the various kingdoms that compose the Empire just so I can put another layer of people between me and my vassals. It's worked really well with the Duchy of Alexandria, which made converting the Bishopric of Alexandria to Orthodoxy so very easy, I just had to appoint an Orthodox Duke and wait. It'll also have the side effect of creating additional councilors to run around converting Catholics.

In other news the HRE (the only force I'm even mildly scared of at this point) has decided to engage in some de jure warring over bits of Croatia, and due to a tactical blunder on my part I got mauled in the early stages of fighting. If I can't turn this around quickly then I'm going to lose a county and possibly the title of King of Croatia too. Even if I can't turn this around in this lifetime I've got a really good heir ready and waiting to ride out and kick some ass in the name of the Empire, and a plentiful stable of people who can take over should disaster strike. I will not make the same mistakes twice (hopefully), I will drive back the misguided Catholics and claim the rest of Croatia from their cold dead hands, in this life or the next.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: July 18, 2015, 04:45:02 pm »

Ok, just bought Horsie Lords and can't play it because of a weird bug.

When I bring up the game launcher, it lists all my mods in the DLC column, and thus doesn't let me select DLC. So the game thinks I have NONE. Instead of y'know, EVERY SINGLE ONE.

HOW FIX?

And before you ask it doesn't let me tab over to the mods tab, and I tried verifying the game integrity already.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 1002