Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090948 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8370 on: July 15, 2015, 01:38:37 pm »

Awesome - thanks for the ideas!!

How are the Warhammer and After the End mods in terms of quality/completion? Obviously I expect a few rough edges but I'm not keen on playing something which is still in need of a lot of work to be fun. One of the worst things about mods for games like this in my experience is that they start off fine but just sort of break down after a while due to so much work being put on the early game - and I'm really keen to avoid that.
I really can only speak about the warhammer one, so... apparently next update some of the Northmen (especially Hung and Kurgan) will become nomadic. Beastmen may as well. Ogres may or may not be added depending on how much Horse Lords stuff is moddable. Lizardmen are basically a placeholder right now. Empire is playable but bare, pretty much vanilla-level (according to the modders, it is because none of them are Empire fans and so have no motivation to prioritize it). Skaven will probably never be added because there is no good way to simulate the under-empire. The others are very much developed and well along.
Dark Elves are great! Naggaroth 4 Lyfe.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: July 15, 2015, 02:10:32 pm »

So I have ten bucks on steam.

Should I get the Republic expansion, or the Legacy of Rome one plus another 5 buck thing?

Right now I have the Islam and Old Gods packs.
Do you want to play as a Republic or have retinues (standing armies)?

Basically, do you favour a large change for a small amount of playthroughs, or a small change for all your playthroughs?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: July 15, 2015, 02:19:22 pm »

I'd vote LoR myself. Retinues change EVERYTHING. Although, retinues + republic can be so gloriously OP, because of the retinue bonus you get for trade posts. In my Malian game, I get more retinue base from trade posts than I do from all my holdings. Basically, I have a standing army of about 38000, including a central column of cavalry only. Smash through opponents and then ride them down to slaughter.

If you're interested in mostly playing pagan tribals and Muslims, Republic isn't that useful to you (Muslim Republics aren't a thing, and it's difficult (though not at all impossible) to form a pagan republic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: July 15, 2015, 02:21:05 pm »

I'd vote LoR myself. Retinues change EVERYTHING. Although, retinues + republic can be so gloriously OP, because of the retinue bonus you get for trade posts. In my Malian game, I get more retinue base from trade posts than I do from all my holdings. Basically, I have a standing army of about 38000, including a central column of cavalry only. Smash through opponents and then ride them down to slaughter.

If you're interested in mostly playing pagan tribals and Muslims, Republic isn't that useful to you (Muslim Republics aren't a thing, and it's difficult (though not at all impossible) to form a pagan republic.

CLOSE YOUR PARAMS

</angryprogrammer>
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: July 15, 2015, 02:21:40 pm »

Are you sure Muslim republics aren't a thing? I know they form regular (non trade and thus non playable) ones.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: July 15, 2015, 02:38:50 pm »

I don't think there's any religious requirement for Republics. I know Pagan republics are possible, and I vaguely remember seeing a Muslim Republic form in an AI clusterfuck many versions ago. Don't expect to see Republics form very often on their own, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: July 15, 2015, 02:40:14 pm »

Are you sure Muslim republics aren't a thing? I know they form regular (non trade and thus non playable) ones.
They are. It's just that I think it is really hard to see any in vanilla. Probably would require a player. I think there are a few (very few) tribal muslims around, so if you could get a coastal tribal capital somehow, you could end up with a muslim republic.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: July 15, 2015, 02:58:29 pm »

Ironman Norse->Shia Republic game says you can be a muslim republic.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: July 15, 2015, 02:59:48 pm »

I seem to recall Muslim Republics being a recommended thing because it lets you reap all the benefits of Islam without having to touch the Decadence system.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8379 on: July 15, 2015, 03:33:30 pm »

I seem to recall Muslim Republics being a recommended thing because it lets you reap all the benefits of Islam without having to touch the Decadence system.
And of course concubines.

My next playthrough is either going to be jewish africa, indian republic, or islamic republic, because I have not played with those mechanics yet.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: July 15, 2015, 03:42:37 pm »

Republics are great but retinues remove an amazing amount of tedium. Plus the byzantine empire is p cool itself.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: July 15, 2015, 04:23:03 pm »

My next playthrough is either going to be jewish africa, indian republic, or islamic republic, because I have not played with those mechanics yet.
For indian republic you will absolutely need to start as a pagan and convert via concubine. I am pretty sure there are no tribes in India.

I guess you could also try to play as Anxi near the border of the map. They are a feudal state bordered by the hordes, though from what I've experienced hordes have low numbers at the start.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: July 15, 2015, 04:30:30 pm »

Did you load an old save? Because any time paradox releases a Jew expansion you can pretty much expect old saves to be broken.
THINGS I NEVER KNEW ABOUT MONGOLS
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: July 15, 2015, 04:37:24 pm »

Did you load an old save? Because any time paradox releases a Jew expansion you can pretty much expect old saves to be broken.
THINGS I NEVER KNEW ABOUT MONGOLS

Those dastardly anti-Semite mongols.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: July 15, 2015, 04:47:59 pm »

For indian republic you will absolutely need to start as a pagan and convert via concubine. I am pretty sure there are no tribes in India.

I guess you could also try to play as Anxi near the border of the map. They are a feudal state bordered by the hordes, though from what I've experienced hordes have low numbers at the start.
You're assuming ironman. It's fully possible to make a republic vassal, free them, and then switch if you're not playing ironman.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 1002