Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090968 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8355 on: July 15, 2015, 07:57:22 am »

I'm having an issue with prestige. I'm playing as a nomad and my character died and his son inherited everything including the standing horde armies. Now I'm getting a HUGE prestige hit from having retinues. Why am I getting this prestige hit when I wasn't before? I don't understand.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: July 15, 2015, 08:24:46 am »

It's very possible that it is a bug

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: July 15, 2015, 09:29:14 am »

Turns out I was just misunderstanding a mechanic. There are two kinds of horde armies that you can buy with prestige that also cost prestige to reinforce. It just so happened at the time of succession I was in a very large war so my armies were reinforcing and causing the big prestige hit.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: July 15, 2015, 09:31:32 am »

After the death of my king I am now playing the Emperor of the Byzantine Empire, Scotland and Ireland.

Minor succession issues have been dealt with by making my heir king of Scotland and Ireland, I've begun subjugating the southernmost bit of Italy and am trying to coerce the Welsh and English into becoming my vassals.

Funnily enough the Empire had mostly converted to Catholicism by the time I gained control of it, and the Emperor is still ethnically Scottish, so my home vassals don't hate me as much as I expected them to.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: July 15, 2015, 10:10:28 am »

Ok So I know this has been brought up before, but I wanted to do it again now - what are the best mods at the moment?
I'm happy with either TC or just general improvement mods, but I'm not looking for just loads of extra content.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: July 15, 2015, 10:14:55 am »

If TC means Total Conversion, I recommend A Game Of Thrones. Be the rebellion!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: July 15, 2015, 10:20:07 am »

Obviously with the new patch...nothing right now...

Otherwise off the top of my head:
Game of Thrones
This is probably the most polished and well done TC mod that adds lots of flavor and little features. Definitely worth a look...especially if you like Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)

When the World Stopped Making Sense
Pushes the timeline back even further to the year 480 and alters cultures a ton to fit the time period.

After The End
Another TC that is set in America after the fall of civilization. Think of it as a Fallout like setting

Warhammer: Geheimnisnacht
Another good TC based on the Warhammer universe (not warhammer 40k...no space marines)

Elder Kings and Middle Earth Project
Both are wonderfully crafted TCs of the respective universe. Sadly they are both in a major development slump and both have had no releases for upwards of a year (but are still claiming to be active). They are good enough to say it sucks they are not being worked on more.

I think those are the most solid mods I can think of. I don't have much experience with CK2+ or HIP (historical immersion project) but they are both good if you want to stick with the vanilla game with added tweaks and features.

I have never played Lux Invicta but it looks pretty good too

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: July 15, 2015, 10:51:33 am »

Awesome - thanks for the ideas!!

How are the Warhammer and After the End mods in terms of quality/completion? Obviously I expect a few rough edges but I'm not keen on playing something which is still in need of a lot of work to be fun. One of the worst things about mods for games like this in my experience is that they start off fine but just sort of break down after a while due to so much work being put on the early game - and I'm really keen to avoid that.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: July 15, 2015, 11:06:39 am »

I've finished setting up my first buffer state, a land gifted to my son Konstantine, dubbed Konstantina in his honor. The lords are wholly russian at the moment, though save three disparate provinces the land itself is largely bedouin culture. However, as I holy warred the region of the then-Khiva, I noticed that the forts there were absurdly fortified; I don't fear for ky sons land.

I also somehow inherited Georgia.  This is something of an unexpected problem, since I would like to have a dynasty member on the throne, both to extend the arms of the ilemensky family and to allow me to protect my buffers with no personal risk to my own demesne. A buffer against the byzantines is significantly less effective if not backed by another significant power.

In western Europe,  a pair of empires emerge as a sword of Christ crumples. The kindom of Eire is slowly but steadily conquering Britannia,  and is the only credible threat to Francia besides the distant poland. The rivalry of the channel seems fated to happen yet again, as in every history to never be. What's odd is that the empire of the isle is largely Pictish, despite being ruled by a Irish king.

Time will tell if England becomes anything more than spud growers. Doubtful; the irish have bigger and better hats.

Seville has been broken, and Leon conquered. Islam in Ibera seems crushed, finally, with only a few small counties left to the reconquista. The Teutonic Order has been less successful, slowly crumbling as time passes. Europa should prove to be a very interesting time to be andalusian. Or german, since the teutons have been importing their own people.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: July 15, 2015, 11:07:04 am »

After The End seems a bit feature bare...but I wouldn't say it feels "unfinished".

It is at version .5 so presumably there is still lots to go. Religions and the map itself seem pretty complete.

Warhammer from what I can tell is in a similar state (but further along). It is at version .6.1 and certainly feels pretty solid when playing it. It seems to have religions and races (as well as the map) very well fleshed out.

I have enjoyed playing them both a good bit without feeling like I need to shelf them til they are more complete

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: July 15, 2015, 11:32:39 am »

Awesome - thanks for the ideas!!

How are the Warhammer and After the End mods in terms of quality/completion? Obviously I expect a few rough edges but I'm not keen on playing something which is still in need of a lot of work to be fun. One of the worst things about mods for games like this in my experience is that they start off fine but just sort of break down after a while due to so much work being put on the early game - and I'm really keen to avoid that.
I really can only speak about the warhammer one, so... apparently next update some of the Northmen (especially Hung and Kurgan) will become nomadic. Beastmen may as well. Ogres may or may not be added depending on how much Horse Lords stuff is moddable. Lizardmen are basically a placeholder right now. Empire is playable but bare, pretty much vanilla-level (according to the modders, it is because none of them are Empire fans and so have no motivation to prioritize it). Skaven will probably never be added because there is no good way to simulate the under-empire. The others are very much developed and well along.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: July 15, 2015, 11:57:06 am »

There is also Crisis in the Confederation, a Dune-like TC. Havent played it much though. After the End is reqlly fun but doesnt have that much depth, although apparently you have to use the GitHub version so I had an older one. I did notice aq few rough edges (like the electoral college being a title that doesnt do anything), but theyre few and far between.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:18:38 pm by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: July 15, 2015, 12:17:20 pm »

There is also Crisis in the Confederation, a Dune-like TC. Havent played it much though. After the End is fun but doesnt have that much depth, although apparently you have to use the GitHub version so I had an older one.
I like Crisis of the Confederation, but it is very much unfinished in some areas. Lots of popups and events with no text, for instance.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: July 15, 2015, 01:26:40 pm »

There is also Crisis in the Confederation, a Dune-like TC. Havent played it much though. After the End is fun but doesnt have that much depth, although apparently you have to use the GitHub version so I had an older one.
I like Crisis of the Confederation, but it is very much unfinished in some areas. Lots of popups and events with no text, for instance.

Urgh that's exactly the kinda thing I don't want. It doesn't need to be perfect, but for strategy games I really need it to be fully playable else I'll get so frustrated.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8369 on: July 15, 2015, 01:36:21 pm »

So I have ten bucks on steam.

Should I get the Republic expansion, or the Legacy of Rome one plus another 5 buck thing?

Right now I have the Islam and Old Gods packs.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 1002